Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy consultation period

Options
  • 21-08-2020 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Earlier this week I was advised that I have been made provisionally redundant "to reduce operational costs", pending a consultation period during which I can (among other things) make a case that I should retain my position. It's not a mass layoff, so this consultation period applies only to me.

Really I'm just curious as to whether anyone else who's been in this situation has successfully argued their case and kept their job?

In my specific case, the issue is that they want everybody who performs a similar role to mine (which I mostly do from home, even before the current pandemic) to work out of two specific offices in other countries (to which I don't wish to relocate, but I was never asked if I would). The projects I am working on are not being cancelled, so one or more other people in those other offices will have to take on my duties in addition to their own.

If nothing else, I'm considering asking how much they have calculated my redundancy would save them, and how they arrived at that figure... I'm sure there are all sorts of legal reasons they can say "no", but it might make them feel a bit awkward at least ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Really I'm just curious as to whether anyone else who's been in this situation has successfully argued their case and kept their job?

I think you can safely consider this avenue closed. It might not be cost-saving, there might be more complex reasons (tax, regulation, etc).

You could explore other roles in the company, and they are obliged to consider that, but not obliged to offer you anything.

As it is only you, then I'd suggest you are in a good spot to offer to do a very clean handover, but also squeeze a little extra wedge out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You job is no longer the same: it is being moved to a new location.

Unless you want to go to that location, your only realistic negotiating point is on your redundancy payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks all. I really have no complaints about the severance payment on offer, and I've already had one promising interview regarding a internal transfer. Frustrating that they're doubling down on the whole office centralisation effort now when nobody can work from any office anyway for the foreseeable future, but it is what it is.

Advertisement