Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Alternatives-New Charges

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

jeffk wrote: »
    The aul grey area, could soon see that loop hole being closed sharpish

It's been that way with years, "sharpish" would have been a long time ago. Hardly a loophole if that they are communicating there is no need to keep it in the account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    It's been that way with years, "sharpish" would have been a long time ago. Hardly a loophole if that they are communicating there is no need to keep it in the account.

Well I know I started this because BOI took it the 3K every quarter means free banking

I can't see how a bank will keep letting people walk in , take out 2k,then put back in 2k,see you next month

That's madness

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

If BOI is your only current account then you can switch to their basic bank account and get fee free banking- no OD or cheque book though, not a biggie.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/basic-bank-account/features-benefits/

Personally I'm off to N26/Revolut as am sick of BOIs ****ty infastructure and as long as technology keeps moving they are always going to be years behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I’m just gonna pay the €6 with bank of Ireland it’s not worth the hassle to be honest as much as if kill me

I could move my disability allowance to the post office but then I’d have no card if I needed to buy something online.

I was speaking to a security card in the bank of Ireland and he’s not happy either and he said all banks are gonna do what bank of Ireland is going to do either way we all getting screwed

- Move to FREE EBS Money Manager Account and save yourself the €72 per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I went to N26 a while ago.
    Cant complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Move to FREE EBS Money Manager Account and save yourself the €72 per year.

There is no hassle on switching it's a simple form as directed by the Central Bank of Ireland.

You only need to direct your salary or social welfare in your case to pay in to your new bank a/c

Lol some cheek to complain over that after not notifying them for 16 years that you had graduated.

There was only about 6 years of that where I wasn't a student as undergrad and post grad were nearly 10 years. Its up to them to change the account not for me to inform them. Banking should be free so in reality I was on the correct account, the free one.

I was charged fees I wasn't expecting and worse I was charged an overdraft facilitation fee for an overdraft I never use but always had it on my account since I got it as an undergrad. There was no fee for keeping it so I did but if I was informed I would have cancelled it before being charged. This fee was also refunded along with a long letter of apology. If it wasn't for covid I would probably have gone to the branch with a few fudged documents and claimed my entitlement to a graduate account (2 years free banking) which I should have been moved to from the student account but I left it in the end.
    Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Great that you got away with that for so long..

How do you find EBS? I was thinking of moving.

I have had two current accounts and savings accounts with EBS for years also but didnt use them very much until now.

They are fine really I don't really use the account much as I do everything through Revolut. I just get paid into EBS and then move a chunk to Revolut when needed.

The two complaints I'd have are their online banking is slow to log into and the 5k daily limit on transfers can be a real pain in the arse and I've got caught out on it a few times. Otherwise they are grand and free.
    If BOI is your only current account then you can switch to their basic bank account and get fee free banking- no OD or cheque book though, not a biggie.

The amount of money that can be lodged into across 12 months is limited also to someting like 25k, most people would significantly exceed that.

If it wasn't for covid I would probably have gone to the branch with a few fudged documents and claimed my entitlement to a graduate account (2 years free banking) which I should have been moved to from the student account but I left it in the end

Committing a crime punishable with up to 10 years in prison in order to save a few euro in bank fees would be interesting to say the least.

Committing a crime punishable with up to 10 years in prison in order to save a few euro in bank fees would be interesting to say the least.

What crime? Some people really are dramatic. I save 100's of euro per year in different things by claiming to be a student still.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Curiosity got the better of me so I checked over my account usage fees as far back as I could go. Average of €5.40 a month so I'm looking at an increase of 60c a month or €7.20 a year. Not exactly enough to spur me in to action.

But then again, like many others I've found my Revolut use is well up and cash withdrawals obviously well down (1 so far this year :pac:) so good a time as any to reevaluate.

ATM withdrawals are the "big earner" at 25c a go so the lack of handling cash these days probably not helping things.

• Advertisement

There is no hassle on switching it's a simple form as directed by the Central Bank of Ireland.

You only need to direct your salary or social welfare in your case to pay in to your new bank a/c

They don’t have an phone app which is annoying like BOI or AIB do

What crime? Some people really are dramatic. I save 100's of euro per year in different things by claiming to be a student still.

You seriously think conning companies out of money by faking documents to make you appear as a student isnt against the law? I find it hard to believe you don't know that's against the law tbh.

Theft and Fraud Offenses Act 2001

25.—(1) A person is guilty of forgery if he or she makes a false instrument with the intention that it shall be used to induce another person to accept it as genuine and, by reason of so accepting it, to do some act, or to make some omission, to the prejudice of that person or any other person.

(2) A person guilty of forgery is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.

Banks also have a requirement to report any suspicious documents to the Gardai, regardless of whether you are faking a student card or faking payslips for a mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86,928 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/basic-bank-account/features-benefits/

Personally I'm off to N26/Revolut as am sick of BOIs ****ty infastructure and as long as technology keeps moving they are always going to be years behind.

I thought that was only if you have no accounts anywhere, no change from current to basic :confused:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought that was only if you have no accounts anywhere, no change from current to basic :confused:

From what I can see the only restriction (if they can even prove it is you are not allowed another current account in Ireland).

Not sure where another poster saw there is a limit how much you can credit each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

BoI aren't allowing current account users to switch over to a basic bank account, as quoted in the link you posted:

"Customers must not already hold a personal payment account or current account with any bank in the Republic of Ireland (you will be asked to sign a declaration provided by us to confirm this)"

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Blackwater20

Switching from BOI cause of the 260% fee increase. Opening extra current account with KBC was very easy. One phone call, followed by one email to send copies of photo id and proof of address.

chite wrote: »
    BoI aren't allowing current account users to switch over to a basic bank account, as quoted in the link you posted:

"Customers must not already hold a personal payment account or current account with any bank in the Republic of Ireland (you will be asked to sign a declaration provided by us to confirm this)"

Have they said that though? Can't you clise your current account and open a basic one?

Anyway, I am gone...am.changing direct debits at the moment in preparation for closing my account after 25 years.

Will leave BOI credit card for now, as soon as N26 offer those (coming soon I believe, that will be switched too).

They don’t have an phone app which is annoying like BOI or AIB do

You can access your EBS a/c online on your phone. EBS have a security authentication app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86,928 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Originally posted by Bank of Ireland: Tara
    Originally posted by BKtje
    Even if I were to convert my current account to a basic account?

In any case I don't live in the EU (Switzerland) thus i'm guessing that I have the choices of paying the much increased fees or closing the account.

Thank you for the swift replies that you have provided me today but I believe that I am better off closing my account. Can you tell me the procedure for this please?
    Thanks for getting back to us BKtje,

It wouldn't be possible to change an existing account to a basic bank account. I'm sorry you are considering closing your account, if you decide to close it you can do this using the online form here.

Thanks
    Tara

(FROM Talk To BOI Forum On Here)

You seriously think conning companies out of money by faking documents to make you appear as a student isnt against the law? I find it hard to believe you don't know that's against the law tbh.

Theft and Fraud Offenses Act 2001

25.—(1) A person is guilty of forgery if he or she makes a false instrument with the intention that it shall be used to induce another person to accept it as genuine and, by reason of so accepting it, to do some act, or to make some omission, to the prejudice of that person or any other person.

(2) A person guilty of forgery is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.

Banks also have a requirement to report any suspicious documents to the Gardai, regardless of whether you are faking a student card or faking payslips for a mortgage.

I never said I was faking anything, omitting some facts would be more accurate.

I have a student ID with no expiry date, most places ask for no more proof than that so I’m faking nothing. A bank wants proof of your course to have a student account so that’s a non runner but the graduate account requires you only graduated in the last 3 years. I did a part time course in that time so would have omitted the fact it was a part time course rather than actually forge anything.

Pretending you are a student is not against the law, you are linking to real forgery not pretending to be a student.

• Advertisement

chite wrote: »

The audacity of BOI to dictate that one is not permitted to hold another current account with another bank.

If I moved my disability allowance back to the post office which I will be doing I’m stuck then with no card to buy things online, what way can I get around this? I don’t want a top card I’d like a credit card you know for emergencies or book flights or buying something on amazon?

The audacity of BOI to dictate that one is not permitted to hold another current account with another bank.

They arent dictating anything. It's one of the conditions for being eligible for one of their types of accounts, which is optional for people to sign up to.

If I moved my disability allowance back to the post office which I will be doing I’m stuck then with no card to buy things online, what way can I get around this? I don’t want a top card I’d like a credit card you know for emergencies or book flights or buying something on amazon?

Dont bother moving your Social Welfare to the Post Office get it paid to a new EBS current account , you will get a free current a/c and debit card will only cost you around €5 per year stamp duty Or combine EBS current account with Revolut or N26 all of which are free all providing debit cards for online purchases etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

The basic account is only fee free for 12 months. If you are lodging a wage in there the terms say they will review it and start charging you.

I have revolut and N26 also, but I am hesitant about using either as my main banking application.

Firstly while I paid for a car in the UK with revolut, and have put a decent some through the account, I would not keep large sums of money on it or even trust my salary to be paid into it full time.

For N26, while it is a proper bank account, it isn't a. Irish account and this can cause issues also.

PaulKK wrote: »
    The basic account is only fee free for 12 months. If you are lodging a wage in there the terms say they will review it and start charging you.

I have revolut and N26 also, but I am hesitant about using either as my main banking application.

Firstly while I paid for a car in the UK with revolut, and have put a decent some through the account, I would not keep large sums of money on it or even trust my salary to be paid into it full time.

For N26, while it is a proper bank account, it isn't a. Irish account and this can cause issues also.

Which bank are you referring to. This does not apply to EBS current a/c which is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Which bank are you referring to. This does not apply to EBS current a/c which is free.

I realise now I should of quoted the appropriate posts. I was not replying to you. Bank of Ireland basic account. It was mentioned a couple of times as a fee free option which I don't believe it is.

They arent dictating anything. It's one of the conditions for being eligible for one of their types of accounts, which is optional for people to sign up to.

Yes but they are dictating that you have no other current account in another financial institution.

The word dictate under a dictionary means:

"an order or principle that must be obeyed"

Apparently It's not optional its compulsory if you wish to bank with them.

Otherwise it appears you must bank elsewhere.

Yes but they are dictating that you have no other current account in another financial institution.

The word dictate under a dictionary means:

"an order or principle that must be obeyed"

Apparently It's not optional its compulsory if you wish to bank with them.

Otherwise it appears you must bank elsewhere.

If you don't declare how would they know?

Anyway sounds like you'd have ro close your existing BOI current account and open a new bashc one....not worth the effort for antiquated infastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,611 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'm always confused at the loyalty people have to banks.

Advertisement