Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old workplace publishing my work without my permission

Options
  • 21-08-2020 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

I quit working for a company two years ago. For this company I created resources and videos. The company launched a new website and they have included some of the videos that I created of. I'm also still listed as a staff member on the site. I'm really uncomfortable with this- I don't like the idea of anyone being able to view me recorded on video as prior to this, the videos that I featured in were only available to paid subscribers. (It's nothing dodgy, by the way!)

Do I have a right to ask the company to remove these? It's bizarre that I'm still listed in their updated staff list and I don't appreciate anyone being able to view old videos that I recorded over four years ago. Could GDPR be applied here? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

john2car wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

I quit working for a company two years ago. For this company I created resources and videos. The company launched a new website and they have included some of the videos that I created of. I'm also still listed as a staff member on the site. I'm really uncomfortable with this- I don't like the idea of anyone being able to view me recorded on video as prior to this, the videos that I featured in were only available to paid subscribers. (It's nothing dodgy, by the way!)

Do I have a right to ask the company to remove these? It's bizarre that I'm still listed in their updated staff list and I don't appreciate anyone being able to view old videos that I recorded over four years ago. Could GDPR be applied here? Thanks.

Two separate issues.

Firstly, request that your name be removed as an employee. Your name is your personal information, and if it is used incorrectly, is a breach of data protection.

Second issue. If you are employed by a firm, any content or work produced for that firm belongs to them, even after you leave, unless you explicitly agree otherwise. Same as a head programmer for a tech firm. Once they leave, they don't take the code with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did you know the videos were being made, and that you featured in them?

Were you hired specifically to feature in videos (or other produced material)? If not, did you sign any sort of disclaimer saying they could video you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Did you sign a release at the time of making the videos? Or was there anything mentioned about appearing in AV content in your contract?

If neither of the above apply, legally you might be able to ask them to take them down; morally I would argue that you don't, given as they were part of your duties for which you were drawing your salary at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you were creating content for them, and you agreed to be in that content. Then its there's not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think the only issue is the error of listing you as an employee.

Content you created while working there is theirs, they paid you to create it for them.

Similarly I see people thinking their work emails are private and theirs, they are not, they are done in the line of your work and as such belong to the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If I was an architect for ABC Architecture & Design, I planned, designed and built 11 buildings during my employment with them for various clients.... would you view it as reasonable for me to email them, in the aftermath of me resigning instructing them to remove all mention, pictures and features of the work that I did ? From their brochures, website and pictures in the office ?

It would be like Lionel Messi when he leaves Barcelona, demanding that he’s removed from all mention of his exploits and time there in dvds, tv shows, won’t allow his name to be printed on shirts in the team store.. and his memorabilia can’t be displayed in the museum?

There is a company in my history who I made training material for about 7 years ago, which I found out is still being used after a chance conversation with an ex-colleague , should I have demanded on my departure that it was all destroyed ? Production company rehired, new trainer ? I couldn’t have cared less !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

john2car wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

Yes, you have a right to get your name removed from their staff list.

If you were paid to produce content for them then they own the content.

Sure, you're in the videos but that was your decision. You could have said "I'll produce the videos, but you must stop using the ones I'm in when I leave." .. they might have even agreed to use a paid actor instead (or just hired someone else)

Advertisement