Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe t leave the PSU permanently on?

Options
  • 21-08-2020 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I want to use an old PSU to power a car stereo, it would stay on permanently in the way I am thinking of using it. Is this safe, or should I have a switch to power off whenever I don't use it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

kig wrote: »
    I want to use an old PSU to power a car stereo, it would stay on permanently in the way I am thinking of using it. Is this safe, or should I have a switch to power off whenever I don't use it?
    Interesting idea to DIY stereo workshop....
    Computers/servers are designed to run continuously - should be no problem from "running" prospective.
    There could be other concerns - insulation, moisture/water . All depend on where and how.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would be inclined to use a small PSU to charge a battery and run the radio from the battery.
    The PSU could then be turned off when radio not in use, while the battery could be used to hold the radio settings intact.
    It should have the added advantage of eliminating interference from the PSU going through the radio, which depending on PSU used could be very annoying.

I would be inclined to use a small PSU to charge a battery and run the radio from the battery.
    PSU output 12V, car battery require >12v to charge .

PSU output 12V, car battery require >12v to charge .

:confused:

What is the car battery for? That level of supply is not required for a car stereo.

BTW, if the battery voltage goes low (say 11V) then yes a 12V PSU will charge it to 12V.

:confused:

What is the car battery for? That level of supply is not required for a car stereo.

BTW, if the battery voltage goes low (say 11V) then yes a 12V PSU will charge it to 12V.
    suppose assumption... car stereo=car battery.
    What battery you suggest?

• Advertisement

suppose assumption... car stereo=car battery.
    What battery you suggest?

Something much smaller and neater ...... probably a gel rechargeable suitable for indoor use.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It wouldnt be a problem, but just buy a small 12v 2A DC wall wart. Save the fan noise etc.

Advertisement