Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Claire Byrne show has become a residence for interested groups - vintners again today - little counter argument, GAA will undoubtedly pop up again soon.

ISME must be wondering what they have done wrong not to be getting any airtime.

Serious stories - hospitals / nursing homes / Dementia are being reduced to a few minutes later in the show.

Is this the producers or a sign that Claire really isn't up to the job ?.

Doctor now own about the rising cases in the over 70s and the first question - should the pubs reopen !

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Infoanon wrote: »
    Claire Byrne show has become a residence for interested groups - vintners again today - little counter argument, GAA will undoubtedly pop up again soon.

ISME must be wondering what they have done wrong not to be getting any airtime.

Serious stories - hospitals / nursing homes / Dementia are being reduced to a few minutes later in the show.

Is this the producers or a sign that Claire really isn't up to the job ?.

Doctor now own about the raising cases in the over 70s and the first question - should the pubs reopen !

They have the right to make their case the same as everyone. These people have family’s to provide for and it’s their job and the end of the day .

Ps Sarah is gone , time to move on or maybe set up a fan club appreciation thread instead

Daz_ wrote: »
    They have the right to make their case the same as everyone. These people have family’s to provide for and it’s their job and the end of the day .

Ps Sarah is gone , time to move on or maybe set up a fan club appreciation thread instead

Missing the point - they have a right to be heard but not every day and not without counter argument.

There are many other groups who are entitled to be heard - far more important to society that the VFI .

Claire does not appear to be able to question on the spot or cover a range of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Infoanon wrote: »
    Missing the point - they have a right to be heard but not every day and not without counter argument.

There are many other groups who are entitled to be heard - far more important to society that the VFI .

Claire does not appear to be able to question on the spot or cover a range of issues.

The counter argument is that they are closed for the past 6 months and remain closed .

Far more important in your opinion.

Daz_ wrote: »
    The counter argument is that they are closed for the past 6 months and remain closed .

Far more important in your opinion.

I am referring to the show as per the thread, you are referring to a particular item on the show.

• Advertisement

She was in her element with the author today, Caitlin Moran I think???

Why she's presenting the Today Show is becoming a bigger mystery every day.

Should fire Darcy and give his show to Claire, get a politics and current affairs head to present this show.

Should fire Darcy and give his show to Claire, get a politics and current affairs head to present this show.

Claire being more of a household name when RTE have a price tag of €300k on sponsoring the show may answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't want to be overly critical, and did listen for a week or so on the Listen Back. But as a PP said, it is just so bland now. I've moved the dial.

Sarah Mc was interesting, engaged, didn't take any prisoners and kept me engaged. Sorry CB you are not having the same effect for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

I gave it/her a chance.... and it's woeful.

Whatever about missing Sarah McInerney - I'm starting to miss O'Rourke and he wasn't great.

Pat Kenny and Newstalk must be loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The show is getting boring alright, isn't it? Less incisive discussions, more broad opinion type pieces. Thing that really annoyed me was 2 pieces this week to do with Covid, 1 on Monday about the issue with Killarney nonsense last weekend and 1 on Tuesday about people attending sporting events. In both cases they had experts on to discuss, and then randomly had some GAA heads too.

Reminded me of this:

next-up-we-will-and-in-the-discuss-the-topic-62380385.png

Not sure if this is due to new producers? Or a new direction because of the host. Hopefully it'll pick up, but I'm finding myself skipping a lot more podcasts now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Stewball wrote: »
    I gave it/her a chance.... and it's woeful.

Whatever about missing Sarah McInerney - I'm starting to miss O'Rourke and he wasn't great.

Pat Kenny and Newstalk must be loving it.

Don’t know about that. Ciara Kelly is on first thing and for the first time in years I have switched to Mourning Ireland rather than listen to her.

It’s too much trouble to switch over to Kenny even if tubridy spent 24 minutes this morning talking about....the late late show, which will be presented by...tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's already a radio version of her tv show, which turned into nothing but fluff pieces.

Will Yam wrote: »
    Don’t know about that. Ciara Kelly is on first thing and for the first time in years I have switched to Mourning Ireland rather than listen to her.

It’s too much trouble to switch over to Kenny even if tubridy spent 24 minutes this morning talking about....the late late show, which will be presented by...tubridy.

That's the truth of it - NEWSTALK breakfast is weak while morning Ireland gives a strong lead into the rest of the RTE schedule - breakfast has always been king when it comes to scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

SPDUB wrote: »
    In before anyone else

It's rubbish:P:P

I posted this as a joke just 2 weeks ago .

To be honest I thought it would be longer before I could make a verdict on the show and at worst I thought the verdict would be she's okay .

But seriously the amount of comments she's allowing guests to make without any pushback:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

SPDUB wrote: »
    I posted this as a joke just 2 weeks ago .

To be honest I thought it would be longer before I could make a verdict on the show and at worst I thought the verdict would be she's okay .

But seriously the amount of comments she's allowing guests to make without any pushback:mad:

I much preferred Sarah, tougher interviewer. I never warmed to Claire Byrne for some reason. I just think RTE management made a serious error in placing her in this slot.

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I much preferred Sarah, tougher interviewer. I never warmed to Claire Byrne for some reason. I just think RTE management made a serious error in placing her in this slot.

Are you sure you don’t mean NK Talent Management? :D

An MEP, who clearly thinks he is “special” trying to make a case that they shouldn’t have to quarantine for 14 days when they return from Brussels. Surely the answer is, stay in Brussels??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,606 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

An MEP, who clearly thinks he is “special” trying to make a case that they shouldn’t have to quarantine for 14 days when they return from Brussels. Surely the answer is, stay in Brussels??

And they just confirmed they can vote remotely and speak via zoom in parliament

It wouldn’t be that they are missing their big travel expenses and other expenses would it?

That’s it. I was just thinking CB would be a great fit for that morning am show on tv3 to whitter on about baking and fashion shows. Nothing too serious or intellectual.

She’s turned into the new Miriam

It wouldn’t be that they are missing their big travel expenses and other expenses would it?

Ooh, that’s terrible cynical. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

^^Good idea.

C Byrne is Seriously useless as an interviewer. Totally lost. She just wants to ask her set of questions. Can't think on feet. Shes letting folk away with murder

What are RTE trying to do - shed Listeners ?

Nothing against CB personally but anchoring a News Prog is not her forte. Let het do something shes good at
    This programne is fast becoming another scruffy show.

No more 10-12 rte 1 listening for this punter

Also what the hell is going on with phone line connections on the show

Since CB has taken over every second phone line seems to go down

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Should start petition to just have .. ugly folk read the News
    I mean we want to hear the news. Dont need to see it

I dont need a fine looking blondes telling me the world is at war ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

sinead o carroll seems lovely but shes a real mediocrity , gets far too much airtime for someone so average

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Nah , sure they would claim them anyway.

Nah , sure they would claim them anyway.

Fobbing in, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

john123470 wrote: »

What are RTE trying to do - shed Listeners ?

I see what you did there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There is no real nuance or depth to Byrne.

These shows are more for the Pat Kenny or SOR type. They require some intellect and reasoning and detail and broadness and quick-thinking

No idea why Byrne is in the role..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Was really hoping Sarah McInerney would get the job full time, thought she was an ideal follow up to SOR. Hope the show pulls back a little from the fluff magazine style pieces that have crept on over the last year (or more?) and moves towards having an edge.

The last thing that RTE still do well (occasionally) is radio, but that really seems to be slipping away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wrong place wrong time...never liked that description for someone who is murdered...

Advertisement