Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I would say, it actually shows the vulnerability of many young people on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Water John wrote: »
    I would say, it actually shows the vulnerability of many young people on social media.

I agree, that's why the matter needs to be aired on radio programmes.

You can see the twin faceted dilemma of this young woman, at once victim and mentor.

She is struggling with her own issues and affected by guilt over the young sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Complete shambles of a Friday gathering today.

Not a thing learned, no idea who was speaking , everybody especially the females sounding the same.

Not good for a supposedly competent presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Not a thing learned, no idea who was speaking , everybody especially the females sounding the same.

It's never as entertaining without a SF representative :D

We all know the government are making a mess of the covid situation but I'm actually more annoyed with the opposition. Aodhain O'Riordain was asked was it correct that pubs are opening, we waffled on about drugs and Dail time and questions for a few minutes without ever answering the question. They let government decide something, say nothing, then criticise they should have did something else even though they never said that themselves.

Another classic is the answer to do you agree with new restrictions/lifting of restrictions? “Well if thats what the experts say in NPHET say then I agree“ then go on to criticise the government for doing just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

If they dumped that Aidan Riordan (I anglicise it because if he ever sees it, he'll most likely be annoyed!) would be a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

She did as good a job of moderating as she's capable of. She was absolutely brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,957 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Radio is momentary. Can you remember without looking it up what was on the show yesterday, last week, last month? I do realise it is dependent on what's happening, but CB is just SOOO Bland it is sleep inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

If they dumped that Aidan Riordan (I anglicise it because if he ever sees it, he'll most likely be annoyed!) would be a start.

An arrogant Twoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That girl Chelsea, speaking about being trolled on social media is a bit self-important, whoever she is. Anyway nobody should be giving her or anyone that abuse. However she spoke of setting up her 8 year old sister a Tic Toc account to amuse herself over the summer, firstly supervised by her but then she had unfettered access for some of the time and was posting unsupervised. To me that kind of thing is by default a form of child abuse, although unintended. When a listener pointed out to Claire that children should not be allowed unsupervised access she simply retorted that Chelsea is an adult. Actually that makes it worse, an adult allowing a child any opportunity for free access and indeed encouraging such a young child to get in social media in the first place.

Spot on..

I heard her today..

Bullying is personal. Complete random people you have never met, and never will meet, responding negatively to YOUR online life, is not bullying...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Denis O' Brien's mate Sarah Carey kept the needle in the red on the 'shrillometer' all through.

Tough to listen to.

• Advertisement

I have a policy of always using the name that people wish to be known by.

Funnily enough that policy has stood me in good stead for many years.

As for anglicising Irish names I think you might find reading some history useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I used to listen to SOR every morning, always found him better than PK. I wanst expecting much from sarah mcinnerney, but she grew on me, bad diction and all. Claire Byrne i find to be useless. A very average broadcaster, whose rise to national stardom puzzles me. She is bland in the extreme and definitely NOT compulsive listening. Does anyone know, is Paddy O'Gorman ever coming back? His reports were always compulisve listening

• Registered Users Posts: 15,606 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Claire Byrne has been a stone cold disappointment since she has taken over

Damien lawlor would be a good option if not Sarah mcI to replace her

elperello wrote: »

As for anglicising Irish names I think you might find reading some history useful.

The guys tactic is to keep speaking no matter what happens.

This is the second time I have heard him at it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

The guys tactic is to keep speaking no matter what happens.

This is the second time I have heard him at it recently.

And raises the decibels to drown out opposition!

That contribution also reminded me how patronising and smug he is.

Both attributes totally misplaced.

That contribution also reminded me how patronising and smug he is.

Both attributes totally misplaced.

If you think I am wrong in using the form of people's names that they want to be used then say so.

If you think anglicising peoples names is a good idea then say so.

If you think I am wrong in using the form of people's names that they want to be used then say so.

If you think anglicising peoples names is a good idea then say so.

I'm struggling to understand why you're getting so restless on behalf of a gaffe prone illiberal mouthpiece.

I'm struggling to understand why you're getting so restless on behalf of a gaffe prone illiberal mouthpiece.

You are struggling all right.

You can't stand up and defend changing and anglicising someone's name because you have a political disagreement with them.

I'm not struggling at all. I am perfectly clear in my mind.

The only surprising outcome in all this was how readily it appears to have triggered you.

• Advertisement

Uhmmm..... lot of anger here,it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Was going to comment on the Gathering. 3 issues:
    1. They could do with varying the guests a bit more. Colm Brophy, Sarah Carey and Collette Brown seem to be on every 2nd week.
    2. There's a thing that politicians do (I think anyway) where they deliberately mispronounce Fine Gael (rhyming Fine with wine). They do it more often when on with a FGer. Think the Healy Raes. Colm Brophy was doing the same with Aodhán here, he switched to calling him Aidan (and really going for it towards the end) as a wind-up. Good on AOR to call him out.
    3. Claire Byrne isn't good at these round tables with lots of talking heads. She wasn't able to get on top of the conversation and keeping one at a time. And then when she was ready to move on, she just cut off instead of allowing a flow. It's like she has a card that says "Covid discussion - 8 minutes", and once 8 minutes is ready she must move on. Having said that, she's not too bad on the one-to-one interviews. Hopefully show will improve...

I'm not struggling at all. I am perfectly clear in my mind.

The only surprising outcome in all this was how readily it appears to have triggered you.

OK you're not struggling and I'm not triggered.

dulpit wrote: »
    Was going to comment on the Gathering. 3 issues:
    1. They could do with varying the guests a bit more. Colm Brophy, Sarah Carey and Collette Brown seem to be on every 2nd week.
    2. There's a thing that politicians do (I think anyway) where they deliberately mispronounce Fine Gael (rhyming Fine with wine). They do it more often when on with a FGer. Think the Healy Raes. Colm Brophy was doing the same with Aodhán here, he switched to calling him Aidan (and really going for it towards the end) as a wind-up. Good on AOR to call him out.
    3. Claire Byrne isn't good at these round tables with lots of talking heads. She wasn't able to get on top of the conversation and keeping one at a time. And then when she was ready to move on, she just cut off instead of allowing a flow. It's like she has a card that says "Covid discussion - 8 minutes", and once 8 minutes is ready she must move on. Having said that, she's not too bad on the one-to-one interviews. Hopefully show will improve...

Agree with most of that except maybe the cut off bit.

That lot would keep going against a hurricane,neither would let the other get an inch without disrupting.

If I was the producer I would politely point out, after listening carefully to the replay that anyone who continually interrupted ,didn’t stop when requested by the presenter, would be told before the next time they were invited on.

If they didn’t comply, I would never let let them near any other shows I produced again.

Fairly simple.

Agree with most of that except maybe the cut off bit.

That lot would keep going against a hurricane,neither would let the other get an inch without disrupting.

If I was the producer I would politely point out, after listening carefully to the replay that anyone who continually interrupted ,didn’t stop when requested by the presenter, would be told before the next time they were invited on.

If they didn’t comply, I would never let let them near any other shows I produced again.

Fairly simple.

Agree ++

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Interested parties lined up.....

Vintners first.....

FFS, more people on moaning about their social media experiences...

Get the fook off it if you can’t handle it..

Boring repetitive Sh1t..

Get a fooking grip, Claire...

Carlsberg don’t do social media!!

The problem is not the abuse, it’s the incessant attention seekers online..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

This whole social media discussion is like another world to me, but it's interesting...in a tragic kind of way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

I can't believe how bad this program has become and I used to like Claire Byrne.
    The social media rubbish on today in the first hour as well as on Friday is a real change in what i remember the program being.

Does this mean that Claire has an input to what topics are covered? The same thing happened with her television program.

Advertisement