Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Xander10

Exactly. And that is what I was agreeing with 100%.

And I think if someone quotes your post, it's reasonably to assume they are responding directly to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Nothing wrong with calling out her covid fixation and her penchant for hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

Lookit...at the end of the day...when all said and done...nothing and I mean nothing..well maybe ok maybe..well quite possibly...well maybe almost usually ..sometimes anyways....can top when Claire/her producer/somebody on the team...thought it would be a good idea to slap 1&1/2 ton of timber (not actual construction timber but scaffolding planks) on the studio floor so thickos like me could relise timber had doubled in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I didn't listen in today (actually I've not done for a while) did she do today's show remotely or have a stand in 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Eircodes/ postcodes in general have some good points and some not so good. One negative I can think of is the reduction of rural Ireland to a series of alphanumeric codes. The reason the postmen and women don't use them is that they are familiar with the local network of townlands, they can handle variations in spellings etc. Machines can't and in time, don't be surprised if the local postman/ woman is replaced by some sort of centralised delivery system based on same alphanumeric codes. Whether you view that as good or bad is something to consider. One problem that the state had prior to the introduction of Eircodes was the lack of a comprehensive database of addresses of households. Just think how very useful that is and you start seeing why the state was keen on the system, regardless of cost. The hole ambulance finding you quicker thing is PR for public consumption.

The question is though, having introduced the idea of reviewing Eircodes, why did Claire not look at various sides, instead of a couple of yes men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Yeah, she did the radio show presumably from her home/shed. So all this extra expense of broadcasting from her shed last night and today is picked up by RTE aka...us, just because Claire wants to keep earning the big fees. She's on c.400k and it's not easy to live on that sort of wedge. 'You should try it sometime' (P. Flynn)

A martyr for the cause but I presume she'll be off with rest of the Montrosia Elite on an extended Easter break , Joe Duffys (already left the building) last Wednesday 🙄

Coming from the tin can again today. Haven't heard David McWilliams for a while, bit of a chancer that fell out of favour.

Now we have a crisis - no cherry tomatoes..

JesuscMc Williams up his own Arse but I enjoyed the "How's your Shed Claire, opening comment " 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

Lorraine Nolan from the Irish Hauliers Association was just on about some hauliers "blockading" Dublin city today. She maintained they shouldn't blockade the city. "That is going too far". Instead she wants hauliers to just park up for a week and refuse to move anything around the country because then people will start to run out of food and demand change.

There is a woman with her priorities totally fucked up. Don't stop people going to work. Starve them instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Deeec

This guys trying to kid himself - €14 per hr for working a stressful job with unsocial hours and only gauranteed 20 hours per week. No wonder security in DAA is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Can't say I agree with this couple about IVF. If we had unlimited finances, sure. But having kids is not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ffs, an ad telling you about smart glasses.

I guess that's why emotion doesn't make for good law. Must be a terrible feeling it it's something you've dreamed of. But hardly comparable to those awaiting surgery or treatment for critical illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

It was just another Paul Murphy (Putin before People TD) whatever you want we'll pay for it all if you just vote for us publicity stunt.

Ah, didn't realise it was a politician, even more reason to see the bigger picture in that case. There's more important and urgent things for taxes to be spent on.

The trouble with my normal penis - half listening this morning but some right rubbish on the hairy scary show this morning. Now were onto the harry barry slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

"fleeing for their lives" how many times did mary lou say that

Well she'd be an expert of sorts on ethnic cleansing I guess. Is this a current affairs programme at all though? Plenty of big news stories in the world and what is Claire drooling over - some Hollywood spat in the courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The ick.....

I'm getting old, what an absolute nonsense segment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was on a par with the girl who was watching the hurling match at the Ed Sheeran concert.

It was absolute pure rubbish, the host was bad enough but yer wan was a prime example of an empty vessel. Could you imagine her trying to find the perfect fella, hasn't a hope. Complete airhead, gave me the ick.

Think that was possibly the worst segment I've heard in years. So, so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

shs should have stuck at being a weather presenter!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,940 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have a great time looking back on the radio player app at the topics covered on CB show.

Once you don't listen live and have a look there, you will never listen to the drivel again, Trust me, the segments are just so unbelievably boring, irrelevant, often repetitive, and sadly the rare interesting topic is far far too short.

Nope.

I don’t necessarily blame the presenter. I’m sure it’s probably a few people together who plan the segments. Either way, it’s really poor radio for a current affairs slot, it’s become a magazine style fluff slot.

The ratio of fluff to journalism/information has been sliding the wrong way for a few years now. Both have their place but the balance needs to be redressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I think it’s part of general dumbing down of RTÉ current affairs , don’t offend anybody!

This is what I don't understand, if an editorial decision has been made to replace a news and current affairs programme with a lighter more entertainment/lifestyle driven magazine programme, then fine, but why keep dropping real news into the middle of it? This isn't a criticism of Claire Byrne, it's just the format now is bonkers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I do.

The mid morning slot on FM1 has been built on a programme of solid news and current affairs and debates of same for decades, with some magazine type pieces along the way. This has been so even around summer schedule adjustments and holidays give or take a week or holidays; even over the Christmas breaks some level of news was covered on this show. Even with stand in hosts covering things the content and format held firm, and with the replacement of PK with Sean O'Rourke. Indeed the format was kept by his short term replacement, Sarah McEnerney.

Since CB came in the structure has gone out the door. Once she gets in two "current affairs" pieces the content has been largely replaced with beauty inserts, wedding planners, country music features and bloggers masquerading as experts in any given field.

Funny that 🤔😏

Advertisement