Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

dulpit wrote: »
    Listened back to some of today's show. The interview with Sam Bennett was a prime example of how this show has changed with Claire Byrne. They spent about half the interview talking to his mother, playing clips of his grandfather, she joked about making him cry. It came across as an interview from the Life magazine rather than the main paper if that makes sense. Shame really, it's fallen so quickly.

Could have been all covered/summaried on Morning Ireland (and it kind of was).

Though it's a good news story for a change, that's why it was on Today with Claire Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Could have been all covered/summaried on Morning Ireland (and it kind of was).

Though it's a good news story for a change, that's why it was on Today with Claire Byrne

No issues with them covering it, it's big news. But it was the way it was covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Excuse me for saying this but the man she is interviewing now about Covid19 is wheezing and snorting and panting that much that he sounds as if he has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Excuse me for saying this but the man she is interviewing now about Covid19 is wheezing and snorting and panting that much that he sounds as if he has it.

Was thinking exactly the same Not good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Prof Martin McKee is very good , I am glad Claire didn't interrupt.

• Advertisement

Listening to the show today, to me it seems she is trying to cram stuff into her magazine show, which means there is only time for a given set of questions to be answered and not explored beyond what is on the agenda. It is quite visible how rigidly she sticks with the format, and the sluggishness of this thread posdibly reflects a wider audience not tuned in.

Regarding the Annie McCarrick case being discussed with private investigator on the show, why the heck did that employee of the cafe in Enniskerry fail to report having allegedly seen her there?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

This crap about the president's dog belongs on Tubridy or Darcy. Are there no politicians to be grilled about ongoing important issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A guest called Agnes Boucher Hayes. I wonder who she's related to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

sligojoek wrote: »
    A guest called Agnes Boucher Hayes. I wonder who she's related to.

Probably ex Shelbourne footballer, Dougie Boucher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Not much gender diversity on this mornings show. Female presenter and all female contributors. (on the 40 mins or so of what I listened to anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not much gender diversity on this mornings show. Female presenter and all female contributors. (on the 40 mins or so of what I listened to anyway)
    Have you any idea how ridiculous a point that is, when you admittedly only listened to 40 minutes of a 2-hour show? :confused:

Opportunities for having a pop at the show seem to be plentiful enough without resorting to that level of cheap shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭littlevillage

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Have you any idea how ridiculous a point that is, when you admittedly only listened to 40 minutes of a 2-hour show? :confused:

Opportunities for having a pop at the show seem to be plentiful enough without resorting to that level of cheap shot!

My apologies HeidiHeidi... But I don't understand what exactly you are saying here in your post.

Are you saying that equal gender representation on a "Prime" show on a state funded broadcaster is ridiculous?
    Are you saying that for about 1/3 of the show it is OK to have no gender diversity?

and finally

Are you saying the show is soo poor, that I don't need to even pass comment on this glaring anachronism?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,471 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Probably ex Shelbourne footballer, Dougie Boucher!

St.Patricks Athletic if I’ m not mistaken.

sligojoek wrote: »
    This crap about the president's dog belongs on Tubridy or Darcy. Are there no politicians to be grilled about ongoing important issues.

I hope BS doesn't see this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Has RTE transmitter crashed/lightning hit?
    Radio1, 2fm, RnaG all gone silent in the West

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Sounds like Ron is just rattling off a load of unrelated medical issues.

A decluttering coach? Talk about snake oil :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

This news programme has become lite entertainment.
    Rome burning and Claire fiddling. Badly.

Some chap rabbiting on about perfect places to
    dream up next summers holiday destination. Right
    yeah .. if ryan air and cunnilingus are still operating ...

Sounds like theyre trying to cheer us up. Easy for them to be cheerful on their obscene salaries

'Decluttering' now .. wtf .. she gets her ideas from the
    Hello magazines she no doubt reads cover to
    cover.

This is a News .. current affairs programne
    not a chat show about how what color knickers
    you wear says about you

I give up. Rant over .. i do remember the good old
    days tho with Sean O R and Sarah ... grilling,
    calling folk to account ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Louise mcsharry from 2FM...hybrid yank / dublin accent. oh dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

john123470 wrote: »
    you wear says about you

Sounds like its remit and approach have changed. Was it always supposed to be current affairs, or did it just swing that way with the interests of the presenters?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Sounds like its remit and approach have changed. Was it always supposed to be current affairs, or did it just swing that way with the interests of the presenters?

Maybe a lighter magazine show is what’s called for?

Listening to Pat Kenny over on Newsrant harrumphing endlessly on about masks, demonstrating how much he knows about everything, would make you lose the will to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It was current affairs with Sarah McInerney, Sean O'Rourke, Miriam O'Callaghan for that summer she covered and Pat Kenny. Replaced Gay Byrne's show. So it's been proper current affairs for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Will Yam wrote: »

Listening to Pat Kenny over on Newsrant harrumphing endlessly on about masks, demonstrating how much he knows about everything, would make you lose the will to live.

Pat Kenny does know a lot about different areas and is always well researched.
    Claire does not have an in depth knowledge or even a good general knowledge of a lot of areas which greatly weakens her ability when interviewing.
    The show is quickly moving to a lifestyle format ,the first few days of the show highlighted Claires lack of abilities (when compared to Pats).

Will Yam wrote: »
    Maybe a lighter magazine show is what’s called for?

Yes, they shd stick Claire and Turbidy together for a programme about shag all from 9-10:00. I know. We have that already, but she'd have found her level at least. And they'd work off each other - Ryan and Claire

That then will clear the way for someone more on the ball from 10. Someone who can summon in the clowns and call them to account. An actual news programme.

Serious stuff happening around us .. airheads just don't don't cut it

We deserve better

john123470 wrote: »
    This news programme has become lite entertainment.
    Rome burning and Claire fiddling. Badly.

Some chap rabbiting on about perfect places to
    dream up next summers holiday destination. Right
    yeah .. if ryan air and cunnilingus are still operating ...

Sounds like theyre trying to cheer us up. Easy for them to be cheerful on their obscene salaries

'Decluttering' now .. wtf .. she gets her ideas from the
    Hello magazines she no doubt reads cover to
    cover.

you wear says about you

I give up. Rant over .. i do remember the good old
    days tho with Sean O R and Sarah ... grilling,
    calling folk to account ..

It's so frustrating and disappointing that the big mid morning program has indeed been taken over by what you describe would appear to be an avid lite magazine reader and has considerably dumbed down what has for a couple of decades been a flagship current affairs discussion show on the national broadcaster, heretofore hosted by seriously competent individuals suited to its format. It's as if she breathes a big sigh of relief when a lite filler topic comes on. Of course we need lightweight topics to break up the serious stuff and bad news that bombards the airwaves, but even these fall short of being entertaining & giving our minds an interesting interlude. I really give up on RTE's thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

It's as if she breathes a big sigh of relief when a lite filler topic comes on. Of course we need lightweight topics to break up the serious stuff and bad news that bombards the airwaves, but even these fall short of being entertaining & giving our minds an interesting interlude. I really give up on RTE's thinking.

Even Pat and Sean had this lightweight stuff thrown in, but I don't remember it being quite on the same scale as CB's show...and she has this knack of making lightweight even lighter than it has to be.

It's so frustrating and disappointing that the big mid morning program has indeed been taken over by what you describe would appear to be an avid lite magazine reader and has considerably dumbed down what has for a couple of decades been a flagship current affairs discussion show on the national broadcaster, heretofore hosted by seriously competent individuals suited to its format. It's as if she breathes a big sigh of relief when a lite filler topic comes on. Of course we need lightweight topics to break up the serious stuff and bad news that bombards the airwaves, but even these fall short of being entertaining & giving our minds an interesting interlude. I really give up on RTE's thinking.

What is galling is that RTÉ has a wealth of broadcasters and journalists who are well able to take the show from where it was. Goodness sake, even Byrne herself can do a lot better than she currently is.

Goodness sake, even Byrne herself can do a lot better than she currently is.

Well, she can't really, can she. She's totally out of her depth.

Wonder if RTE have been told to lose the rottweiller element - the hard nosed journo who will not let go once he / she has got her teeth into someone who needs to be called to account ?

Sean O R was able to strike fear into his interviewees. They came prepared or left in tears.

Now we have 1 hour of lightweight Turbidy followed by 2 hrs of ultra-lightweight Claire Byrne. They sound so fake and uncaring. No maturity

Whoever makes these decisions in RTE shd seriously consider their position ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Infoanon wrote: »
    Pat Kenny does know a lot about different areas and is always well researched.
    Claire does not have an in depth knowledge or even a good general knowledge of a lot of areas which greatly weakens her ability when interviewing.
    The show is quickly moving to a lifestyle format ,the first few days of the show highlighted Claires lack of abilities (when compared to Pats).

Claire Byrne would be better suited to a " Loose Women " style afternoon show

fluff is her forte

Advertisement