Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,471 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Claire Byrne would be better suited to a " Loose Women " style afternoon show

fluff is her forte

Seems to be so..... show is a disaster, but I would shine a light on the production team for the lack of ‘punch’ in the content.

Action needed...... and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Varadkar had one of the easiest interviews I think hes ever had today.

God, its shocking how out of depth she is, id say he was dying to go on after recent reports of how easy she is.

Throwing Irish times polls at him, but didnt know about the red c poll the week before, throwing the fact that china are handling the virus better than us but forgetting that they are effectively a communist dictatorship whereas we are a western democracy. No comeback on any of the answers he gave. God I ended up even liking him after the interview and I usually detest him.

In all truth, last comment I will make about her because I dont like slagging someone off who is incompetent in their position and she is a mother.

There is one person I hold to account, Dee Forbes, a piece of work by any measure and should be removed from her position asap. Only way to get her removed is mass non payment of the tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

john123470 wrote: »
    Well, she can't really, can she. She's totally out of her depth.

Wonder if RTE have been told to lose the rottweiller element - the hard nosed journo who will not let go once he / she has got her teeth into someone who needs to be called to account ?

Sean O R was able to strike fear into his interviewees. They came prepared or left in tears.

Now we have 1 hour of lightweight Turbidy followed by 2 hrs of ultra-lightweight Claire Byrne. They sound so fake and uncaring. No maturity

Whoever makes these decisions in RTE shd seriously consider their position ..

In a way, it won’t affect RTÉ that much, I think. The brand will carry the day , at least in the medium term. When Kenny moved to Newsrant he didn’t bring (m)any listeners with him. People are creatures of habit.

I also wonder if RTÉ have done research on all this, and found out that audiences don’t love the Rottweiler interview approach as much as the Rottweilers. Or if they really like the incessant harrumphing on Newsrant by, among others, Ciara Kelly and Pat Kenny.

If I hear kenny going on about masks again I shall throw my radio out the window. I ask myself if has shares in a mask making company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

john123470 wrote: »
    Well, she can't really, can she. She's totally out of her depth.

Wonder if RTE have been told to lose the rottweiller element - the hard nosed journo who will not let go once he / she has got her teeth into someone who needs to be called to account ?

Sean O R was able to strike fear into his interviewees. They came prepared or left in tears.

Now we have 1 hour of lightweight Turbidy followed by 2 hrs of ultra-lightweight Claire Byrne. They sound so fake and uncaring. No maturity

Whoever makes these decisions in RTE shd seriously consider their position ..

Sean 'savaged by a dead sheep' O'Rourke?

Outside of pandemic who has time to listen to a 10.00am radio show. Stay at home people, older people.

Does a 10.00am interview change the course of a political /commercial career? Very rarely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Claire Byrne would be better suited to a " Loose Women " style afternoon show

fluff is her forte

Wouldn’t it be nice to see her fluff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Wouldn’t it be nice to see her fluff

That there is the kernel of the problem. Women given slots in the media based on their looks. If she's easy on the eye, she'll do. .. right, i'll spend 2 hrs fantasising about "seeing her fluff" instead of focussing on the content

We've had this with the Seoiges and others previously. Cringe making stuff. And you can hear the sense of entitlement in their voices. Their only talent is in their looks and even they are too dumb to be aware of this fact.
    Neck, i think its called. Lots of neck

Is there owt can be done to give radio back to the people ?To discuss matters that affect our everyday ..

I'm fed up with these ... "i'm all right, Jack', smug, talentless, 'good looking' people on rte ..

I want a serious News programme with a mature take on the chaos we are living through - not some talentless airhead faking it

Ye gods !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Woman from Ballyfermot travelling to Bray, Co. Wicklow to walk her dog..."I thought this was all Dublin". God bless the patients of these Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The cops sound like owl ones...sorry this and sorry that..firmness is needed, and quit this placating nonsense and getting into silly back and forth conversation..

• Registered Users Posts: 82,560 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's no wonder the country is riddled with Covid.

De salt a d'eert (as Joe Duffy describes rough sounding people) wan from Ballyfermot saying she thought Bray was in Dublin was lol, and then pulling out the mental health card as did the man who lived alone (like me) in an apartment. All to "bring the dog on a (late night) walk", nowhere near yet Ballyer of course.

• Advertisement

De salt a d'eert (as Joe Duffy describes rough sounding people) wan from Ballyfermot saying she thought Bray was in Dublin was lol, and then pulling out the mental health card as did the man who lived alone (like me) in an apartment. All to "bring the dog on a (late night) walk", nowhere near yet Ballyer of course.

The 'well spoken' woman giving her lengthy justification was oozing the same sense of entitlement...just doing it with a different accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Cole wrote: »
    The 'well spoken' woman giving her lengthy justification was oozing the same sense of entitlement...just doing it with a different accent.

Basically this and basically that when basically she just needed a few minutes with Lugs Branigan.

I’m yet again confused..

The gardai..are they advising or enforcing?

They sounded like just advising g..

No wonder we haven’t a clue with these restrictions..

I'm expecting Brid Smith to say apartheid at some stage in this slot, there's still time. ;)

walshb wrote: »
    I’m yet again confused..

The gardai..are they advising or enforcing?

They sounded like just advising g..

No wonder we haven’t a clue with these restrictions..

It is public health advice, not the law.

Why are people confused. It isn't that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

imme wrote: »

It's not that they aren't confused, it's just that they are self entitled.

I'm expecting Brid Smith to say apartheid at some stage in this slot, there's still time. ;)

Brid Smith just said "underbelly" , nearly there.

It kind of is.

The rules and guides are constantly changing..

I thought the Gardai could enforce movements of people outside what NPHET advise/implement..

So they can’t enforce, just hang around and guide and encourage..

Weren’t they able to actually enforce a while ago, regarding people being outside of where the govt advised they should be?

She said her chemist is in Bray, and she lives close by. Why the hell didn't she just say that without going on about bloody Howth etc!

It kind of is.

The rules and guides are constantly changing..

I thought the Gardai could enforce movements of people outside what NPHET advise/implement..

So they can’t enforce, just hang around and guide and encourage..

Weren’t they able to actually enforce a while ago, regarding people being outside of where the govt advised they should be?

It is Advice, NOT the law.

I can't understand how people can't understand this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How come the Gardai closed down that pub inwer in Galway a while back I think?

They shouldn't be doing stuff like that if it isn't the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

She said her chemist is in Bray, and she lives close by. Why the hell didn't she just say that without going on about bloody Howth etc!

It must be so difficult for the Gardai not to say " would you ever just f off home "

I think it was a case of people assuming it was the law back in March when it all kicked off and generally being more compliant. Now people (generally) know that the Gardai don't have the 'stick' to tell the numpties that we heard earlier to feck off back home and/or issue a fine.

Now we're seeing the true character of lots of people who just don't give a sh1te about anyone else.

I think it was a case of people assuming it was the law back in March when it all kicked off and generally being more compliant. Now people (generally) know that the Gardai don't have the 'stick' to tell the numpties that we heard earlier to feck off back home and/or issue a fine.

Now we're seeing the true character of lots of people who just don't give a sh1te about anyone else.

Working in the public libraries service I used to come across people like that all the time, "trolling" you, asking you precisely which bye-las you were enacting when you would apply this or that regulation, eg asking for payment of fines. I found that at least 20-30% of people were always looking for ways around things. If the fine was large they were a single mother (albeit with a top of the range new Mercedes) and therefore couldn't afford it, or if it were small they would tell you how petty you were being. Same with other things. So glad I'm retired and not having to implement Covid rules, you would end up in arguments all day long, and with zero back-up from management. People in Ireland just do not like being thwarted in any way by officialdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Does a 10.00am interview change the course of a political /commercial career? Very rarely.

Might want to check in with Maria Bailey...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

How come the Gardai closed down that pub inwer in Galway a while back I think?

They shouldn't be doing stuff like that if it isn't the law.
    It was the law. It was emergency legislation which lapsed around the end of June I think?

Working in the public libraries service I used to come across people like that all the time, "trolling" you, asking you precisely which bye-las you were enacting when you would apply this or that regulation, eg asking for payment of fines. I found that at least 20-30% of people were always looking for ways around things. If the fine was large they were a single mother (albeit with a top of the range new Mercedes) and therefore couldn't afford it, or if it were small they would tell you how petty you were being. Same with other things. So glad I'm retired and not having to implement Covid rules, you would end up in arguments all day long, and with zero back-up from management. People in Ireland just do not like being thwarted in any way by officialdom.

Shure haven’t myself and Nev Parsnipp been like broken records saying that Pat will always try to game the system.

You are spot on Cat, They will always try something big or small, like skip a queue, don’t wear a mask, double yella- only goin in for the paper, park the slab on a dangerous bend, go in the wrong Covid entrance then produce the big stupid mush when they are prevented doing that.

Hammering down small suburban roads and then crying when they hit someone, arseholes Cat, only word for that type.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The Friday gathering was a bit of a dissapointment - Mark Paul watching his words after his 'I'm a front line worker' blunder ,John Lawless watching his p's and q's after his 'Kildare will not go into lockdown ' debacle and his having to avoid upsetting FF and of course Brid 'money for nothing' Smith who could only talk about the PUP scheme.

After listening to the show these last few days it's safe to say that Hard hitting interviews and in depth political analysis are no longer a feature of the Claire Byrne show.

What's to understand, but?

It's black and white.....

A lot people, and not unusually IMO, may have thought that it was written into law, and that the Gardai could actually enforce it....

It turns out that it not actual law, and guidance-advice from NPHET, that has not been put into law....

When you hear on commentary about Gardai out patrolling and enforcing, this is how it can be confusing to people, who can think that it is actual law...

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    The Friday gathering was a bit of a dissapointment - Mark Paul watching his words after his 'I'm a front line worker' blunder ,John Lawless watching his p's and q's after his 'Kildare will not go into lockdown ' debacle and his having to avoid upsetting FF and of course Brid 'money for nothing' Smith who could only talk about the PUP scheme.

After listening to the show these last few days it's safe to say that Hard hitting interviews and in depth political analysis are no longer a feature of the Claire Byrne show.

I doubt if Bríd mentioned the big knees up in the Ollie Bond flats ,Info.

I don’t bother listening to that show anymore on any kind of a regular basis.

Advertisement