Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I doubt if Bríd mentioned the big knees up in the Ollie Bond flats ,Info.

I don’t bother listening to that show anymore on any kind of a regular basis.

Brendan you would be right on that one ! All about the PUP scheme with a brief mention of civil service pay.

There was a moment earlier that summed up the show - Claire tried to land a sucker punch on Reid from the HSE... he had to correct her factually incorrect statement.....he also asked her at least twice if she was going to ask him about the winter plan....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

How come the Gardai closed down that pub inwer in Galway a while back I think?

They shouldn't be doing stuff like that if it isn't the law.

That pub, a while back, I think.

You'd be great as an expert witness in a High Court case. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

dulpit wrote: »
    Might want to check in with Maria Bailey...

1 interview by Sean in 10 years of the Sean O'Rourke Show, that's some record.

I think Maria was done for regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,471 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Infoanon wrote: »
    Brendan you would be right on that one ! All about the PUP scheme with a brief mention of civil service pay.

There was a moment earlier that summed up the show - Claire tried to land a sucker punch on Reid from the HSE... he had to correct her factually incorrect statement.....he also asked her at least twice if she was going to ask him about the winter plan....

I don’t bother tuning in anymore, Info, thanks for the heads up.

Whole thing is so false, bunch of people like Smith, Boyd-Barrett, that idiot down in Cork N C, ‘calling’ for everything but achieving nothing.

The big Ollie Bond bang fest and the place festooned with litter never referred to.

Taxpayer no doubt will pay for the clean up.

What these dumpsters can’t understand the money used to clean up after these scrotes has to be taken from genuine needing people.

Time we woke up........ and filleted these chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

St.Patricks Athletic if I’ m not mistaken.

Brendan, your right, I was mistaking him for Brendan Place, who chased a few of us up Abbey st. After a bit of slagging from Us Bohs fans!

• Advertisement

Brendan, your right, I was mistaking him for Brendan Place, who chased a few of us up Abbey st. After a bit of slagging from Us Bohs fans!

Yes... Brendan Place......up there with the Fireman Freddie Strahan

Brendan if I recollect took no prisoners, the boot could nip you on the butt of the ear with force if you dipped the head below shoulder height.....:D

Hope you weren’t caught.......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

I doubt if Bríd mentioned the big knees up in the Ollie Bond flats ,Info.

I don’t bother listening to that show anymore on any kind of a regular basis.

Brid has her ar$e handed to her on a plate on tv the other evening in a discussion about the TDS rise in pay. She was on with Peter Burke who said he was forgoing the rise.

He challenged Brid who spluttered indignantly and said she “wasn’t taking it”.

He probed further and got her to admit that what she really meant was she was giving it to some solidarity fund - Debenhams workers etc.

His point was she can’t on the one hand claim to not be taking it and in the other hand take it and spend it on things she wanted to.

Will Yam wrote: »
    Brid has her ar$e handed to her on a plate on tv the other evening in a discussion about the TDS rise in pay. She was on with Peter Burke who said he was forgoing the rise.

He challenged Brid who spluttered indignantly and said she “wasn’t taking it”.

He probed further and got her to admit that what she really meant was she was giving it to some solidarity fund - Debenhams workers etc.

His point was she can’t on the one hand claim to not be taking it and in the other hand take it and spend it on things she wanted to.

Billy.... the sack of slurry has been parsed and analyzed for yonks.

To paraphrase.

Any dosh you get from the taxpayer is marked down to you.

What you do is not of any consequence.

It’s off the taxpayers budget.

Over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I don’t bother tuning in anymore, Info, thanks for the heads up.

Whole thing is so false, bunch of people like Smith, Boyd-Barrett, that idiot down in Cork N C, ‘calling’ for everything but achieving nothing.

The big Ollie Bond bang fest and the place festooned with litter never referred to.

Taxpayer no doubt will pay for the clean up.

What these dumpsters can’t understand the money used to clean up after these scrotes has to be taken from genuine needing people.

Time we woke up........ and filleted these chancers.

The residents of the flats cleaned up but that doesnt suit your agenda does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

The residents AND Dublin City Council.

And where does Dcc get its money?

• Advertisement

Have no agenda, buddy, just the facts and the fact that the taxpayer was out of pocket due to these plugholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Yah...Yah...

God, listening to these ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

How do RTE get away with this?

A stream of the biggest misery merchants on the show to start literally the trifecta

It is an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,560 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Revolut the kids cash for sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is that guy really called MAT CHEW?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is that guy really called MAT CHEW?
    I half heard the promo,and if it's the guy I'm thinking of (GP in Ranelagh?) his name is Irish language, so Maitiú (can't remember his surname)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The current promo for the show (discussing pressure cooker mishaps??) does not help the show being a serious one.

The current promo for the show (discussing pressure cooker mishaps??) does not help the show being a serious one.

It is more a magazine type / lifestyle show now - there was very little serious discussion or analysis any topic today imho

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Few times Ive listened in to her its either Covid scaremongering central (which seems to be her thing now since March) or crap talk. Its the morning equivalent of Ray Darcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

neris wrote: »
    Few times Ive listened in to her its either Covid scaremongering central (which seems to be her thing now since March) or crap talk. Its the morning equivalent of Ray Darcy.

Am I right in assuming that the topics and guests are chosen by an editorial/production team?. Of course CB would have an input but it's hardly fair to blame her if the menus seem tame and bland now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

boardise wrote: »
    Am I right in assuming that the topics and guests are chosen by an editorial/production team?. Of course CB would have an input but it's hardly fair to blame her if the menus seem tame and bland now and then.

I would assume that the production team would decide, but that the overall direction of the show is surely led by the presenter, no? In that they would guide their production staff...

I would assume that the production team would decide, but that the overall direction of the show is surely led by the presenter, no? In that they would guide their production staff...

I think that if the presenter, during the pre-show discussion with the production team, said, “and you seriously think I’m going to talk about that sh!te??’”, another topic would quickly be found. But there again, I know sweet FA about how these shows are put together.

Ratings / listener feedback would play a big part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I worked in the peripheries of radio a few years back. Not in Ireland, but I understand from others that it's no different here. It's a mix of production team and presenter. The bigger the presenter, the bigger influence they have (provided they are interested).

In Claire Byrne's case, I can only guess she is happy to go along with it, she would have huge input into the programme format and direction and for most things if she declined the topic, it would not be done - with the obvious exception of national news events.

Sean O'Rourke kept it at a high level for the years he did the programme, he occasionally did the 'softer' stuff, but never let it dominate. It's part of the shows remit that it has a mix of topics; usually starting serious, but maybe lightening up towards the end. Claire Byrne seems to be quite happy to be part of the team that is driving it more towards the softer stuff. If she wanted to, she could change it. I'd be very, very surprised if she couldn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Charlie Bird turning into Jim Corr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

Perhaps it's also possible that since the virus has darkened the national mood a decision has been taken not to subject the listenership to an unrelenting barrage of bad news and general negativity at least pro tem .
    Along with the cursed virus there's the looming horror of Brexit against the backdrop of a cacophony of voices proclaiming environmental catastrophe. Maybe a little bit of soft pedalling might be in order.

Maybe:

RTE needed a household name to maintain listenership and attract significant sponsorship.

Claire was chosen and would have put forward her own suggestions for the show at interview stage.

Claire doesn't have the skillset to take on Pat Kenny head to head so the programme has been dumbed down.

Once the jnlr figures don't collapse and it's probable that the commercial dept has worked out new listeners will outweigh the more discerning (and listeners are historically slow to move the dial ) everything will be ok.

RTE also have the Morning Ireland Juggernaut to maintain strong figures during the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

This guy is some sort of pro kingdom nationalist.

What is with the map of Kerry on the wall?

She is a gas woman for the "sets".

in her living room now.

• Advertisement

This is a new low.

Keeping the windows open.....

People be dying with the cold.

Advertisement