Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think we all want to touch Claires jugs in all fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think we all want to touch Claires jugs in all fairness.

What about her rugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

KevRossi wrote: »
    I worked in the peripheries of radio a few years back. Not in Ireland, but I understand from others that it's no different here. It's a mix of production team and presenter. The bigger the presenter, the bigger influence they have (provided they are interested).

In Claire Byrne's case, I can only guess she is happy to go along with it, she would have huge input into the programme format and direction and for most things if she declined the topic, it would not be done - with the obvious exception of national news events.

Sean O'Rourke kept it at a high level for the years he did the programme, he occasionally did the 'softer' stuff, but never let it dominate. It's part of the shows remit that it has a mix of topics; usually starting serious, but maybe lightening up towards the end. Claire Byrne seems to be quite happy to be part of the team that is driving it more towards the softer stuff. If she wanted to, she could change it. I'd be very, very surprised if she couldn't.

Of course she'll go along with it. Not many places paying the money she's on.

That pressure cooker ad is cringeworthy. RTE have been "softening up" this slot for a while now. I remember one day Sean O Rourke said that after the break he was doing a piece that might be of interest to "dog owners". 2 seconds of silence, "sorry, dog lovers" in a caring and compassionate voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,906 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just wondering about jnlr figures. My understanding is that they are released every quarter but show a year's worth of data right? So it'll take 12 months for figures for Claire Byrne alone to reflect fully? And it'd be hard to see if there was an uptick or downward trend for when Sarah McInerney hosted?

Also, isn't this thread just for the radio show? Not her TV show as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Seems a bit over the top to bring in army if the guards can’t enforce the advice as it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yep, surely the point (which was obvious from the piece at the checkpoint in Bray broadcast on Friday) is that the guards need the power to enforce not just advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

dulpit wrote: »
    Just wondering about jnlr figures. My understanding is that they are released every quarter but show a year's worth of data right? So it'll take 12 months for figures for Claire Byrne alone to reflect fully? And it'd be hard to see if there was an uptick or downward trend for when Sarah McInerney hosted?

Also, isn't this thread just for the radio show? Not her TV show as well?

The JNLR compares listenership to that of 12 months ago, so even a survey done this week will show gains or slips in a given time slot over the same time last year. That said, 12 months will give a better picture of the shows performance.

Stations generally do their own in house survey's as well and this will help to give an idea of performance. And then of course there's the dreaded Focus Group :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Seems a bit over the top to bring in army if the guards can’t enforce the advice as it is

the army would be more useful helping the Gardai as back up in certain areas of Dublin for alot more serious things other then Covid19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Somebody mentioned here before how CB comes alive with a bit of fluff...good example here now.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Of course she'll go along with it. Not many places paying the money she's on.

That pressure cooker ad is cringeworthy. RTE have been "softening up" this slot for a while now. I remember one day Sean O Rourke said that after the break he was doing a piece that might be of interest to "dog owners". 2 seconds of silence, "sorry, dog lovers" in a caring and compassionate voice.

Even back in Pay Kenny's day the slot always had its daily share of soft bits. Poetry, books, cooking with Rosana Stevens, pet issues etc. It often had two "soft" slots on some days, one maybe an entertaining scientific/semi-scientific insight, followed by a total fluff piece. He was good at the scientific bits, and went along with the fluff.

• Advertisement

Paschal Donohoe showing up CB here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Cole wrote: »
    Paschal Donohoe showing up CB here.

In fairness it's not hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,635 ✭✭✭✭walshb

mgn wrote: »
    In fairness it's not hard to do.

Agreed. She just has not got the depth..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Culture slot ..she says to both her reviewers at the start "It's a good time now...for the telly"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Culture slot ..she says to both her reviewers at the start "It's a good time now...for the telly"
    In fairness, there's not a lot else happening right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    In fairness, there's not a lot else happening right now!

It's the way she said it... like when we used to live in 6 terrestrial channel land. New release films on netflix and cinemas were being discussed

This show has really become hard work to listen to...

Matt Carty excusing people who do things that are outside of the (covid19) restrictions because they're just not thinking or because of work...what about those who just avoid the restrictions because they don't give a sh1te about anyone? Worth a follow up question there, Claire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

CB asks about Trump's weight, Greg says hes not that overweight and makes quick exit...

Claire unable to shut up two squabbling naughty boys

And here they go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Claire unable to shut up two squabbling naughty boys

And here they go again!
    I'm not watching on the telly, but I have a vision of Claire slumped with her head on the desk, hands over her ears for the last 4 or 5 minutes of that.

Terrible radio.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    but I have a vision of Claire slumped with her head on the desk, hands over her ears for the last 4 or 5 minutes of that.

I have a vision of her just staring blankly as a once excellent radio show continues to go down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just turned over for the last few minutes. Had she no control over her guests at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

She asks the health Minister re to lockdown or not.
    About how folk are saying a broken economy is
    worse than Covid.

Health minister mumbles his way thru some 1/2-assed, response
    and C Byrne has no follow up questions !!!!
    Totally unable to think on her feet

Its like she's only focussed on the next question on her
    card

.. Man, covids depressing enough but assigning this
    lite entertainment journo to a serious news
    programnes is the last straw

Someone really needs to have a word with her.
    It is now beyond embarrassing

Just turned over for the last few minutes. Had she no control over her guests at all?

Basically, none at all. The “gathering” turned into a verbal spat between two male politicians who sounded like two little boys in the playground. She managed to prise them apart for a few seconds, but failed to send them to opposite corners of the class room or to the naughty step, so they were back at it within a few seconds.

I think Heidi Heidi probably has it spot on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In fairness there's only so much she can do if two guests decide to do that.

Maybe not ask them back or remove their party from the show for a period of time. But then she'd be accused of censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

which two boyos?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

which two boyos?

Peter Burke FG and Matt Carty from SF

Dire stuff - pitied Grainne

Not the first time this has happened in the Friday gathering slot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,471 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Infoanon wrote: »
    Peter Burke FG and Matt Carty from SF

Dire stuff - pitied Grainne

Not the first time this has happened in the Friday gathering slot

Correct, surely it shouldn’t be beyond the programme to figure out a way to stop this rubbish.

I stopped listening after the first week, I’m sure Clare is a lovely person but she has no control over this kind of stuff.

Not suited in my opinion to anchor a two hour prime mid morning show.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I caught the very end of the programme, about four or five minutes. I don't usually listen. All it was, was two guys shouting one another down. She didn't even seem to be trying to moderate the 'debate'.
    Just said that's all we have time for, thanks and that was it. Dreadful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

It's desperate, the whole thing. She sounds like a media studies student. And she's at this for nearly 20 years!

Noel Kelly really sold them a pig in a poke this time!

Tom Maguire rides off into the sunset with a fat pension having probably signed off on this.

Advertisement