Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Will Yam wrote: »
    And Duffy hasn’t got going yet interviewing some poor unfortunate vulnerable person whose nearest & dearest died 10/20/30 minutes ago.

He did

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Will Yam wrote: »
    He also suggested that alcohol purchases be limited per shopping trip. An eminently sensible suggestion.
    We already do this with paracetemol.

I'd be interested in how it would work though. For instance, a bottle of whiskey (750ml) has 30 units of alcohol (75 * 0.4). To get the same units of alcohol for other drinks you'd need:

12 500ml cans of beer (50 * 0.05 * 12), or
    18 330ml bottles of beer (33 * 0.05 * 18) or
    3 750ml bottles of wine (75 * 14 * 3).

How many units of alcohol are being propsed, I wonder? I suspect that there is no answer, and that this is all kite-flying stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Sorolla wrote: »
    I think it is fair to say that Claire is a national treasure and I think she is the only personality at RTÉ who has the talent to make the big time at the BBC

She has the girl next door charm and can do TV and radio

The thing is on the BBC she'd be well suited to the likes of The One Show; a light magazine type show. But in Ireland she's anchoring the main current affairs slot on daytime radio, and she's not doing a great job of it to be honest.

She has been given several chances and from the first time I heard her on the radio on the Saturday afternoon slot she is someone who reads off her prepared questions and doesn't seem to be able to think on her feet too well.

I wonder for example how she would have handled the Maria Bailey interview, or the Gay Byrne/Pee Flynn one. Sometimes it's a question of letting the interviewee talk and throwing them the odd bit of bait when they go off on a tangent that gets a seriously good interview. I'm not sure she's at that level and having been around for such a long time, I'm pretty sure she never will reach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

She needs to stop clicking that bloody mouse or get a quieter one. It's driving me mad every time the guest is speaking she's clicking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

She needs to stop clicking that bloody mouse or get a quieter one. It's driving me mad every time the guest is speaking she's clicking away.

I was just thinking the same. In fairness, I remember hearing it during SOR's time too...not as much though. Maybe it's one of those modern things that can't be avoided.

Actually...just checked my own and it's pretty quiet, so maybe RTE just need to pop into Argos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

KevRossi wrote: »
    She has been given several chances and from the first time I heard her on the radio on the Saturday afternoon slot she is someone who reads off her prepared questions and doesn't seem to be able to think on her feet too well.

Claire byrne is totally unsuited to anchoring a serious radio news programme. RTE excel in sticking folk into programme slots they are totally unsuited for. They've had lots of practice with Turbidy, D'Arse'y, Scruffy ..

One thing i am grateful to Claire byrne for is freeing up 2 hrs from 10-12 weekdays doing something more useful than listening to radio. Thanks to Turbidy also for the 9-10 slot.

Sticking these talentless folk into programme slots that don't suit them may well be a ploy by RTE to encourage us to switch off our radios from 9am -12 and do something more constructive like going for a walk, cycle, make love etc

If so, well done RTE. Its working for this punter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was so loud that at one stage I thought Val Joyce was driving the desk for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Verona Murphy calling for some outside foreign representation on NPHET...I'm guessing that CB and Harry McGee were itching to have a dig there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

RTE mics seem to be ridiculously sensitive. Particularly noticeable during election coverage is rustling of paper and pencil scratching...

RTE mics seem to be ridiculously sensitive. Particularly noticeable during election coverage is rustling of paper and pencil scratching...

And Joe Duffy's & Ryan Tubridy's oral/nasal intrusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

yeah, you can hear it on most shows f you have headphones on but it so loud today that I could hear it while driving. Glad its just not me that this bothers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,906 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I started a thread about it 5 years ago :P

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96697245

Very annoying. I understand that they need to pull up data/information, but what it sounds like is that they are not paying attention really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,906 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

dulpit wrote: »
    I started a thread about it 5 years ago :P

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96697245

Very annoying. I understand that they need to pull up data/information, but what it sounds like is that they are not paying attention really.

I actually also started a thread about SOR 8 years ago :pac:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75746969

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

If anyone has a spare mouse that doesn't go click can they send it to RTE.

dulpit wrote: »
    I actually also started a thread about SOR 8 years ago :pac:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75746969

Between Joe Duffy's burping, snorting & heavy breathing and Ryan Tubridy's saliva sucking, you'd think they would have got a lot of complaints and got their sound people on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Between Joe Duffy's burping, snorting & heavy breathing and Ryan Tubridy's saliva sucking, you'd think they would have got a lot of complaints and got their sound people on top of it.

I can hear Claire's pen on paper today. As well as the usual click click.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭amlinopta

RTE games reporter Damian Lawlor plugging his new book on an RTE prime time program. For the second time in three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

amlinopta wrote: »
    RTE games reporter Damian Lawlor plugging his new book on an RTE prime time program. For the second time in three days.

Fills airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

amlinopta wrote: »

With Christmas coming up there will only be more of this.

Prediction: Des Cahill will pop up on some show with his book in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NIMAN wrote: »
    Fills airtime.
    I wasn't tuning in, but it's a break from bloody Covid/Brexit and now the Budget :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,471 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

imme wrote: »
    With Christmas coming up there will only be more of this.

Prediction: Des Cahill will pop up on some show with his book in the coming weeks.

Aaah heeeyour...........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Today should be a doddle for Claire with the two Ministers in studio for the annual budget call in. Sit back and don't break the habit of a lifetime by asking any hard questions, sure they'll only get in the way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Loadsa material there for Oliver Callan
    "hi it's Pascal here" "Jimmy i hear the love for your car in your voice (1999 Toyota Corolla)"

Who would've thought a year ago that FF & FG would be doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,635 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Luke O’Neill on again....?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Very convenient bad line there as the guest said to Paschal, "I'd prefer not to be patroni.....".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

zell12 wrote: »
    Loadsa material there for Oliver Callan
    "hi it's Pascal here" "Jimmy i hear the love for your car in your voice (1999 Toyota Corolla)"

Who would've thought a year ago that FF & FG would be doing this?

The same Jimmy made a lot of sense when he said, if he changed his car every 3 years since 1999 he would have bought 7 new car by now and how much more damage to the environment that would have caused.

Maybe RTE could bring Jimmy into some studio to have a debate with that fool Ryan sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

mgn wrote: »
    Maybe RTE could bring Jimmy into some studio to have a debate with that fool Ryan sometime.

And ask him what happens in his master plan to tax income when everyone switches to cars running on nothing but "harmless" electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

And ask him what happens in his master plan to tax income when everyone switches to cars running on nothing but "harmless" electricity.
    Compulsory mini wind turbines and solar panels on every roof, or be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Today should be a doddle for Claire with the two Ministers in studio for the annual budget call in. Sit back and don't break the habit of a lifetime by asking any hard questions, sure they'll only get in the way :rolleyes:

I gave up on this segment years ago.

Too many opposition shills and plants making statements and not asking questions.

Can't see Blondie having the skill to spot them, let alone nip them in the bud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Can't see Blondie having the skill to spot them, let alone nip them in the bud.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement