Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

This contact tracing "debacle" is getting far too much air time/media time. God love the poor people that have to call those they were in contact with, get over it.

Agree completely. Mistakes happen, and a least this time there was no attempt to hide this, or cover it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Jim O Callaghan on again spreading his falsehoods, the 25 cases in New Zealand were a mix of returning travellers,outbreak on a ship etc .

Perhaps Jim who wants to replace MM should take a look at Jacinda Ardens popularity and approach.

At least Claire asking Jim 'wanna be Taoiseach' what's the alternative to lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Infoanon wrote: »
    Jim O Callaghan on again spreading his falsehoods, the 25 cases in New Zealand yesterday were travellers returning .

At least Claire asking Jim 'wanna be Taoiseach' what's the alternative to lockdowns

We're the cases in NZ not imported workers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Infoanon wrote: »
    Jim O Callaghan on again spreading his falsehoods, the 25 cases in New Zealand were a mix of returning travellers,outbreak on a ship etc .

Perhaps Jim who wants to replace MM should take a look at Jacinda Ardens popularity and approach.

A showreel on how poor a host she is.

A good host such as O’Rourke or McEnerney would have had him in knots the instant he mentioned this or any one of his half baked rants and ideas this morning. Instead Claire just clams upon mention of any half statistic he came out with regardless of how wobbly it may be, as indeed she always does, and he gets away with it.

Cue a token “reactionary” question from her, he barely answers and on he goes proving why he isn’t fit for cabinet, or her as a current affairs presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Haven't heard her radio show recently but the podcast options (e.g. pressure cooker) and TV segments (dressing warm for Covid) suggests to me that Claire might be getting ready to present the Late Late Show. I'd prefer her/anybody to Tubridy.

Yeah, she has to be red hot favourite at this point. They have to appoint a woman to the job next time round, no matter how bad they are. She ticks all the boxes with the exception of the one that matters most; will she be any good at it.

But she has the looks, the manager, the vacuous line of questions and the ability to not rock the boat for upper management at RTE.

Miriam is past it (I personally reckon she's eyeing up the Aras) and there's no woman with the profile of Claire Byrne in RTE right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Agree completely. Mistakes happen, and a least this time there was no attempt to hide this, or cover it up.

Surely this is central to the government's response to the crisis.

This rubbish further lengthens lockdowns and ultimately leads to an increase in the virus.

They had months to prepare for it.

People get angry about Berlin Bar but "mistakes happen" when it comes to our own government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hold on a second? Did she just shout over somebody and question their figures??? :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

This guy is a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Hold on a second? Did she just shout over somebody and question their figures??? :eek::D

yep disgusting behaviour, condsidering i know a GP in a small town who has several delayed cancer treatments thats just one !

I hate this "I am just asking questions" sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

The Govt couldn't hide it or cover it up as they didn't know about it until it appeared in the Irish Times!

This was not a mistake. It was bad planning and organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Why is this guy getting air time?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This guy is a dick.

Whatever about him, she’s useless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Who is this guy? I would like to send him a message to thank him. Why do people have such an issue with somebody quoting figures from the Government?

And now RTE present their debunker. Let's see if he is challenged as much as John Moore was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Macy0161 wrote: »

He's voicing the concerns and raising the questions a large % of the population have

Macy0161 wrote: »

crap interview from claire, hes trying to open a debate which is badly needed (he could have a different objective but he did setup a medical company)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

100% should be questioned, but not in this approach. I prefer the current speaker, using this thing called "science".

Who is this guy? I would like to send him a message to thank him. Why do people have such an issue with somebody quoting figures from the Government?

And now RTE present their debunker. Let's see if he is challenged as much as John Moore was.

not been interrupted every 5 seconds for one, id love to hear sarah mcinerney do the same interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Claire's interview about the ad in the newspaper was very much not objective. She clearly sounded pissed off with him. That it didn't suit the viewpoint she personally holds about the pandemic. She was not happy with the way he was answering her poor line of questioning.

Is it any wonder why people start getting pissed off with the viewpoint of certain media outlets in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Some difference between the two interviews there re John and Bob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Surely this is central to the government's response to the crisis.

This rubbish further lengthens lockdowns and ultimately leads to an increase in the virus.

They had months to prepare for it.

People get angry about Berlin Bar but "mistakes happen" when it comes to our own government.

Except it wasn’t “the government”, it was the HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

not been interrupted every 5 seconds for one, id love to hear sarah mcinerney do the same interviews

I thought she was good with Brian Hayes the other day. That whole thing of him moving to the banks absolutely stinks. And him being at the GolfGate trying to make out that he wasn't lobbying or anything.

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Haven't heard her radio show recently but the podcast options (e.g. pressure cooker) and TV segments (dressing warm for Covid) suggests to me that Claire might be getting ready to present the Late Late Show. I'd prefer her/anybody to Tubridy.

I was thinking that too, that she might be in preparation for Late Late. She would be certainly no worse than Tubridy in that role, and might actually bring something more to LLS than she dies on a mainly serious current affairs of the day program. I don't know where they'd put Tubridy except onto a children's program where he might be suited. But that would be a distinct "downgrade" unless he also did some serious book review show or train travel series as he alluded to. I think it might actually come to pass that she will present LLS, and in place of her Monday show Tubridy will do some niche series. When it comes to Toy Show she might actually focus more on the toys and set and get others to do the "entertainment" aspects. My tuppence worth of reckoning anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Couldnt see her on the toy show, think she,d be totally out of her comfort zone having to act the idiot with kids (which is probably the only thing tubridys good at)

crap interview from claire, hes trying to open a debate which is badly needed (he could have a different objective but he did setup a medical company)

Not a fan, but it is not like she had much to deal with. When his answer to every question is "I am just asking questions".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

One answering with science, evidence and facts while the other answering with questions. ..

James O Brien interview was good - if Claire could pick up some of his techniques

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Claire's interview about the ad in the newspaper was very much not objective. She clearly sounded pissed off with him. That it didn't suit the viewpoint she personally holds about the pandemic. She was not happy with the way he was answering her poor line of questioning.

Is it any wonder why people start getting pissed off with the viewpoint of certain media outlets in Ireland.

Glad I wasn’t the only one who found this- I never listen to her anymore (she’s simply a woeful broadcaster) but was flicking stations in the car meeting someone and her interview was disgracefully biased with her usual sensationalistic claptrap - all about “Long Covid”- semi deranged in her hysteria at moments.
    Zero empathy for those who’s livelihoods is being shattered continuously. Should she be stuck on €350 per week I’d say we wouldn’t be long hearing the tune changing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I thought she was good with Brian Hayes the other day. That whole thing of him moving to the banks absolutely stinks. And him being at the GolfGate trying to make out that he wasn't lobbying or anything.

That's right because all the attendees were high level cabinet ministers, :rolleyes:

no wait the only cabinet minister present was the minister for agriculture. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Who were John & Bob?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

The hand sanitiser issue is a headache for the schools (and other places) right now, but there's a level of drama and moaning that some school teachers bring to everything. Tim has to get the drill out to remove them from the walls and CB is "ah Tim..."

Yes, it's a pain in the ar$e, but just get on with it Tim.

Advertisement