Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

'Who do you think you are fooling Mrs McDonald.....
    Excuse me! It's Ms McDonald! It also scans better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Good thinking Claire, when you have a 30 minute slot to fill and you cant think of anything to cover, another interview with Mary Lou always works. Mary can talk for 30 minutes easily, and say nothing of any significance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

What's the deal with there being utter nonsense about sports every day when I'm on my lunch at 11?

"Well the country is so proud of you"

"That must have been incredibly hard, you're so brave"

"And how did you deal with that almost insurmountable challenge?"

Jesus Christ they were just playing a match, they didn't launch a missile into space. I thought this was a politics and current affairs show, do they have sports timetabled into it as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

coastwatch wrote: »
    Good thinking Claire, when you have a 30 minute slot to fill and you cant think of anything to cover, another interview with Mary Lou always works. Mary can talk for 30 minutes easily, and say nothing of any significance.

And don't ask any difficult questions or follow up on bullsh1t answers...awful stuff from CB. It really sounded like a couple of pals who agreed to have a light interview. Mary Lou signed off with "thank you so much"...

Compare it to Pat Kenny's interview with Mary Lou earlier in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Cole wrote: »
    And don't ask any difficult questions or follow up on bullsh1t answers...awful stuff from CB. It really sounded like a couple of pals who agreed to have a light interview. Mary Lou signed off with "thank you so much"...

Maybe she is saving the hard questions for The Gathering, with it's regular host RBB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nothing new about that, plenty of name checking as usual from ML.

I did notice though in the gathering that Clare was a little tougher on the issue of the lock down.

While it would appear that MLMD was all in favour of the wet bars opening down here, she was against it up the North.

A cynic like myself would be of the opinion that it was done for populist reasons down here, but as she had a ‘dog in the fight’ up North and would have to sort out the mess there, was against a loosening of the regulations.

But ,Lookit, that’s only me

s1ippy wrote: »
    What's the deal with there being utter nonsense about sports every day when I'm on my lunch at 11?

"Well the country is so proud of you"

"That must have been incredibly hard, you're so brave"

"And how did you deal with that almost insurmountable challenge?"

Jesus Christ they were just playing a match, they didn't launch a missile into space. I thought this was a politics and current affairs show, do they have sports timetabled into it as well?

I didn't catch that segment, but I do agree with some of the ridiculous language that's sometimes used about sport in the media. I played a lot of football in my younger days, and while it's a bit more than just kicking a lump of leather around a field, it's not much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Maybe she is saving the hard questions for The Gathering, with it's regular host RBB.

The Gathering has changed.

Before maybe it was a bit too clubby, too many insiders.
    But there was a bit a 'joined up' feel to it.

It is suffering from a disconnectedness having people in different studios, locations, on the phone etc.

It leaves me with the question, what should the Gathering be, what should it do.

imme wrote: »
    The Gathering has changed.

Before maybe it was a bit too clubby, too many insiders.
    But there was a bit a 'joined up' feel to it.

It is suffering from a disconnectedness having people in different studios, locations, on the phone etc.

It leaves me with the question, what should the Gathering be, what should it do.

Sounds more like “the Unravelling” to me

Mary Lou McDonald of Sinn Fein was interviewed by Claire this morning.

Topics stretched from NI executive to Covid to Judge Wolfe controversy.

In relation to NI executive, Mary Lou said that a 5 party coalition is hard to work through.
    Claire reminded her that she might have some understanding for the 3 party coalition in the South.

Mary Lou might remember from history that the first InterParty government in Ireland was composed of 5 political parties and independent TD's who got a seat at cabinet from among their ranks.
    This government couldn't have been more disparate.

Politics can be difficult, such is life.

Mary Lou went on to talk about the advice given to the executive from the chief medical officer in NI. I'm not sure why she had these details, she isn't on the executive.

Mary Lou's comments about Michelle O'Neill sounded patronising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Mary Lou McDonald of Sinn Fein was interviewed by Claire this morning.

Topics stretched from NI executive to Covid to Judge Wolfe controversy.

In relation to NI executive, Mary Lou said that a 5 party coalition is hard to work through.
    Claire reminded her that she might have some understanding for the 3 party coalition in the South.

Mary Lou might remember from history that the first InterParty government in Ireland was composed of 5 political parties and independent TD's who got a seat at cabinet from among their ranks.
    This government couldn't have been more disparate.

Politics can be difficult, such is life.

Mary Lou went on to talk about the advice given to the executive from the chief medical officer in NI. I'm not sure why she had these details, she isn't on the executive.

Mary Lou's comments about Michelle O'Neill sounded patronising.

Nothing new there....

Owner of The Bankers telling us how nobody would crowd in around pubs were the they open.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm not getting this crowds outside pubs on Saturday night. Publican on claiming this problem would not occur if pubs were open? I'm not sure we're he's getting this notion from. Firstly pubs are open, unless I'm missing something, secondly Gardai claim no breaches of restrictions detected, was I looking at a video from last year.

Are publicans claiming they can seriously suggesting they can stop crowds developing outside pubs in the city centre on a Saturday night.

I live rural and most rural towns are absolutely dead every night, barely a mouse to be seen at night. The scenes in Cork and Dublin city last Saturday seem to suggest different strokes fro different folks.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Owner of The Bankers telling us how nobody would crowd in around pubs were the they open.

Just an extraordinary argument being put forward by said publican, I'd think matters would be worse and hes actually confirmed not only was he open but they served "regulars" as he put it.

A fairly illogical argument alright...but (many) publicans will be pushing this hard over the next couple of days as a response to the South William Street thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Tomas Ryan versues Jack Lambert

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Alan Campbell made out that he was only selling hot whiskies and coffees so people would not congregate then had to admit following the text that he was serving pints to his regulars.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Alan Campbell made out that he was only selling hot whiskies and coffees so people would not congregate then had to admit following the text that he was serving pints to his regulars.

A bit of a chancer I think

I like professor lambert but what exactly is his argument here, every expert in the country should be on an advisory board? It would be chaos.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm not getting this crowds outside pubs on Saturday night. Publican on claiming this problem would not occur if pubs were open? I'm not sure we're he's getting this notion from. Firstly pubs are open, unless I'm missing something, secondly Gardai claim no breaches of restrictions detected, was I looking at a video from last year.

Are publicans claiming they can seriously suggesting they can stop crowds developing outside pubs in the city centre on a Saturday night.

If pubs were open sure we'd have all the best experts back together to right the wrongs and to shift the world of Covid 19, and get a head start on Covid 20 through to 28 as well :rolleyes:

The whole point of lockdown is to curb crowds and crowding. Opening pubs sounds good to address such crowds but it's populist thinking and it's merely kicking the can down the road stuff.

• Advertisement

If pubs were open sure we'd have all the best experts back together to right the wrongs and to shift the world of Covid 19, and get a head start on Covid 20 through to 28 as well :rolleyes:

The whole point of lockdown is to curb crowds and crowding. Opening pubs sounds good to address such crowds but it's populist thinking and it's merely kicking the can down the road stuff.

I agree but the argument pubs being open would stop crowds outside pubs is just bizzare, particularly if limits on patrons, table service only etc were enforced. I'm more aghast at a publican going on live radio, peddling a bizzare argument and then admitting not only was he open but he served "regulars" only, the admition only came after he was caught out. Hardly an inspiring spokesperson for the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Nobody has even seen this film...its not been released yet ..RTE are the only ones making a big deal of it.

Its been on loads of their radio programmes at this stage.

I suspect they are shilling this film for the studio/producers

Advertorial is what its called. RTE should really be prefacing these articles with a "contains product placement" warning.

Nobody has even seen this film.....RTE are the only ones making a big deal of it.

Its been on loads of radio programmes at this stage.

Really tiresome nonsense, what is it about this obsession with bad Irish accents. Not sure who the American on is but he featured on Ivan Yates hard shoulder, an immense pain in the A*** and clearly a failed comedian, why else is he here, bit of a des Bishop syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Francie and Brendan...you need your own thread at this stage. Your duel is now in three threads I think.

They should get a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Claire doing her best to sell her new found passion for sport, particularly boxing, but then goes and ruins it by admitting she was glad the golf was over early so she could flick over to another channel.

Advertorial is what its called. RTE should really be prefacing these articles with a "contains product placement" warning.

RTÉ.

Supporting the Art Accents.

I could see (so to speak) Constance Cassidy wearing her lawyers wig whilst speaking on the phone.

Doesn't she sound like a superior person. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I could see (so to speak) Constance Cassidy wearing her lawyers wig whilst speaking on the phone.

Doesn't she sound like a superior person. :pac:

Constance Cassidy was clear and concise with an excellent knowledge of the topic.

Probably the last person I would criticise on today's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Claire doing her best to sell her new found passion for sport, particularly boxing, but then goes and ruins it by admitting she was glad the golf was over early so she could flick over to another channel.

Heard her yesterday about a certain Katie Taylor.

You’d swear Taylor had just been discovered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Nothing new about that, plenty of name checking as usual from ML.

I did notice though in the gathering that Clare was a little tougher on the issue of the lock down.

While it would appear that MLMD was all in favour of the wet bars opening down here, she was against it up the North.

A cynic like myself would be of the opinion that it was done for populist reasons down here, but as she had a ‘dog in the fight’ up North and would have to sort out the mess there, was against a loosening of the regulations.

But ,Lookit, that’s only me

Well one things for sure.

She has all the answers down here where she is in opposition.

But only chaos in the north where they are in government.

Advertisement