Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

So this practice being reported all around the world is false, because the greyhound industry says so? Was there any independent finding that supports this?

What practice are you on about?

People who have a personal interest in banning something will find plenty of gullible people to believe and spread their version of facts, whether they are true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What practice are you on about?

People who have a personal interest in banning something will find plenty of gullible people to believe and spread their version of facts, whether they are true or not.

The practice of culling unwanted greyhounds.

You didn't answer, has there been any 'independent' verification of what you say is the case?

Genuine question. If there is no answer I will leave it there as this isn't the forum for this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Whatever about the rights or wrongs re the entire greyhound industry (and I personally think its appalling), there still remains the question as to why it receives any funding but as some have also pointed out there is a disturbing lack of transparency re Claire Byrne and the FG Chaps vested interest on both sides of the argument, it is not good enough for a national broadcaster to permit this to happen.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

The practice of culling unwanted greyhounds.

You didn't answer, has there been any 'independent' verification of what you say is the case?

Genuine question. If there is no answer I will leave it there as this isn't the forum for this discussion.

You are right. This isn’t the forum.

The reason that the report that RTÉ used wasn’t published was because of the reasons I gave. The dogs not counted in the report were ones used for coursing, breeding, retired from racing and/or breeding but still living with their owners, dogs sold to England or elsewhere abroad.
    Yes, some healthy dogs have been put to sleep, but, thankfully this practice is no longer acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Yes Claire, no Claire, I think Claire, maybe Claire, too much Claire......... :)

Fancies himself as a bit of a clairevoyant maybe ?

• Advertisement

boardise wrote: »
    Fancies himself as a bit of a clairevoyant maybe ?

Boom :)

Missed the show today, doesn't seem anything exciting happened

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Believe in yourself ladies, dress for success. Quality radio today. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The show ran over by one minute today because vicky phelan kept talking.

ronan collins did not sound too happy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I listened to the debate and this is a disgrace for Byrne and her researchers as it definitely was not said about the guys past.

https://twitter.com/HollyCairnsTD/status/1329127582520971265

Holly totes trying to find someone else to blame for not having done her homework.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Holly totes trying to find someone else to blame for not having done her homework.

I don't recall the show being called "Today with Holly", the research and indeed transparency was the responsibility of RTE and indeed the guest who I believe was untruthful when asked what his interests in the greyhound industry was, adopting a nice greyhound doesn't I'm afraid cut it. It was quite simply a disgrace, I don't fully understand Claires partner involvement but to be fair, he wasn't being interviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I wouldn't blame him, his show is decimated with unecessary breaks.The Angelus followed by the ridiculous An Nuacht, ads for Liveline and Ray D'Arcy show, and the unbearable Liveline promo at around 12 40.There used to be an almost five minute Weather forecast before one o'clock, at least he got rid of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I would cut V Phelan some slack there. The responsibility for timing lies with the producer and the presenter not the guest.

I don't recall the show being called "Today with Holly", the research and indeed transparency was the responsibility of RTE and indeed the guest who I believe was untruthful when asked what his interests in the greyhound industry was, adopting a nice greyhound doesn't I'm afraid cut it. It was quite simply a disgrace, I don't fully understand Claires partner involvement but to be fair, he wasn't being interviewed.

Nor is the thread about Holly Cairns. It is a thread about a radio show whose producers and host let down the listener here. Shocking and indefensible lapse in their duty really.

Nor is the thread about Holly Cairns. It is a thread about a radio show whose producers and host let down the listener here. Shocking and indefensible lapse in their duty really.

Firstly I think you must be confusing what this a thread is about?? Bizzare but more specifically
    My response was to your rather absurd notion that Holly needed to do her research, she was a guest, argued her case, the FG chap was also a guest, he argued his case, but when asked a very simple question clarifying his interest in the subject at hand he neglected to mention his vested interest.

It's really not terribly difficult to comprehend, I'm sure there's a podcast you could listen back.

I've zero interest in who's right or wrong but certainly expect transparency of guests, albeit it's not clearly a trait that features with FG politicians very much as recent history tells us.

Anyway, not in the slightest bit interested in getting into a back and forth on this but do intend to enjoy this Thread which is about a Radio Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The show ran over because Claire spent too much time on fluffy stuff and got to Vicky Phelan at approx 11.57 iirc

Ultimately the producer is to blame.

Firstly I think you must be confusing what this a thread is about?? Bizzare but more specifically
    My response was to your rather absurd notion that Holly needed to do her research, she was a guest, argued her case, the FG chap was also a guest, he argued his case, but when asked a very simple question clarifying his interest in the subject at hand he neglected to mention his vested interest.

It's really not terribly difficult to comprehend, I'm sure there's a podcast you could listen back.

I've zero interest in who's right or wrong but certainly expect transparency of guests, albeit it's not clearly a trait that features with FG politicians very much as recent history tells us.

Anyway, not in the slightest bit interested in getting into a back and forth on this but do intend to enjoy this Thread which is about a Radio Show.

Think you got the wrong poster there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I don't agree.

A bit of research on her part and she would have had both him and CB squirming.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I don't agree.

A bit of research on her part and she would have had both him and CB squirming.

Claire Byrne's responsibility is to the listener, blaming the guest is a cop out.

That was disgraceful timing on part of the producer. Vicky has only lately found out she is approaching a more advanced stage of her terminal illness, she was let on to speak a couple of minutes before the end; she knew herself she had not much time to speak before end of show and tried to rush it, only to be rudely cut off mid-sentence. She is owed an apology by the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

That was disgraceful timing on part of the producer. Vicky has only lately found out she is approaching a more advanced stage of her terminal illness, she was let on to speak a couple of minutes before the end; she knew herself she had not much time to speak before end of show and tried to rush it, only to be rudely cut off mid-sentence. She is owed an apology by the show.

She is owed an apology just because she is vicky phelan? or would you suggest any guest cut off deserves one?
    Claie apologised to her, just after midday, while still talking with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"the lady sergeant"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Padre thinks rules don't apply to him?

Padre thinks rules don't apply to him?

Nothing new I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Get this idiot off

Ignorance is no excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

It's all ok - his parishioners believe in Heaven.

This is incredible stuff.

Did he just say that religion is above the law?

The scientists are wrong when they say faith won't stop the virus...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

I'll be very, very disappointed if Claire doesn't tear this idiot a new one.

The arrogance of this man!

Claire Byrne's responsibility is to the listener, blaming the guest is a cop out.

O Dear God is this argument still going on, I dispair :)

Fr. Anarchy!

• Advertisement

I sense this Parish priest on his way to a quite monastery in some obscure location. I can't see Gardai arresting him, can you imagine to uproar

Advertisement