Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭touts

Getting heady with Mary Lou. Claire in full clobber mode this morning.

Fair play to Claire. That was an outstanding piece and exposed Mary Lou and Sinn Fein for what they really are. Populist and hate filled. Listening to Mary Lou justifying a heavy calling to the door of a young woman to threaten her not to criticize the party by making out he was just a well known and respected member of the local party looking to resolve things was cringe worthy. It should be played on every campus in the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Its amazing how much of a grilling Claire Byrne gave Mary Lou this morning and how frequently rte seem to give Sinn Fein one but when it comes to matters involving Fine Gael, the appetite doesnt seem to be there.

It pays to know who your paymasters are I guess. I can't see Sinn Fein if they were in power propping up the shambles that is RTE.

The obvious bias is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Mary Lou was well and truly on the ropes there but I can't help but feel PK or SOR would have landed a knock out punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Will matter not one whit at the polling stations when the votes are being cast, all this manufactured hoo-ha about nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

Its amazing how much of a grilling Claire Byrne gave Mary Lou this morning and how frequently rte seem to give Sinn Fein one but when it comes to matters involving Fine Gael, the appetite doesnt seem to be there.

It pays to know who your paymasters are I guess. I can't see Sinn Fein if they were in power propping up the shambles that is RTE.

The obvious bias is pathetic.

I must get my ears tested because what I have heard for years has been exactly the opposite.
    Government spokesmen and panellists are usually outnumbered by at least 3 to 1 ( the RTE presenter and ,say, 2 opposition people), they can hardly complete a sentence without interruption and badgering and in addition the tone of questioning is frequently cynical and hostile.
    SF speakers on the other hand ( and other opposition too) are usually allowed to make party political broadcasts with far less hassling as they indulge in their idealistic flights of fantasy. Any questions asked tend to be pro forma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭touts

Will matter not one whit at the polling stations when the votes are being cast, all this manufactured hoo-ha about nothing

Sadly it won't. People won't realise that they have been conned by Sinn Fein until Sinn Fein are in power and all their populist promises are proven to be empty. They will really realise how much they have been conned when they then try to vote them out and discover Marxist parties only support democracy on the way up but never on the way down. The people who vote Sinn Fein don't generally listen to Claire or other News Shows. The fact that Claire yet again handed Mary Lou her ass and exposed her party as a fraud this morning won't even register with the 30% who vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

touts wrote: »
    Sadly it won't. People won't realise that they have been conned by Sinn Fein until Sinn Fein are in power and all their populist promises are proven to be empty. They will really realise how much they have been conned when they then try to vote them out and discover Marxist parties only support democracy on the way up but never on the way down. The people who vote Sinn Fein don't generally listen to Claire or other News Shows. The fact that Claire yet again handed Mary Lou her ass and exposed her party as a fraud this morning won't even register with the 30% who vote for them.

All the electorate have to do in that case is not elect them the next time...same as they do when they have realised FF or FG have 'conned' them or their 'promises prove to be empty' (and by god we have had plenty of instances of that) them in elections since the foundation of the state. That's how democracies work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I think its quite arrogant and ignorant to assume a large percentage of the electorate are not intelligent enough to understand politics at this supposedly high level you claim to.

This sort of arrogance is exactly why Sinn Fein received such a large % of votes last time and will do so again if there is another election.

On top of this, I would hardly credit Claire Byrne or her show for engaging with a high level of political discussion on a regular basis. Since she took over the slot, the majority of her show seems to be fluff. A let down from Sean O'Rourke & Sarah Mcinerney if there ever was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Fair play to Claire. That was an outstanding piece and exposed Mary Lou and Sinn Fein for what they really are. Populist and hate filled. Listening to Mary Lou justifying a heavy calling to the door of a young woman to threaten her not to criticize the party by making out he was just a well known and respected member of the local party looking to resolve things was cringe worthy. It should be played on every campus in the land.
    The fact that Claire yet again handed Mary Lou her ass and exposed her party as a fraud this morning won't even register with the 30% who vote for them.

If that interview this morning is being held up as an example of outstanding political interviewing, then RTE's current affairs output is screwed...and politicians (regardless of party) are in for an easy ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Cole wrote: »
    If that interview this morning is being held up as an example of outstanding political interviewing, then RTE's current affairs output is screwed...and politicians (regardless of party) are in for an easy ride.

It was like being savaged by a well coiffured sheep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Claire Byrne is constantly looking for the 'headline' but misses important information gaps.
    She should listen to some old interview tapes from Vinny Browne, Pat Kenny, Olivia O'Leary, Aine Lawlor and Ivan Yates.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Wonder will Claire have the decency to address the fact she swallowed a FG line with the 'heavy' visiting the door line of questioning. As the young lady has had to contact RTE to ask them to, it would be only right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Wonder will Claire have the decency to address the fact she swallowed a FG line with the 'heavy' visiting the door line of questioning. As the young lady has had to contact RTE to ask them to, it would be only right.

I was listening to that part of the show this am and in fairness to CB she never mentioned any "heavy". She said a person from SF called to the door and ML McD agreed that it happened and said she knew the person.

It starts at about 12.40 in this podcast.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucnRlLmllL3JhZGlvMS9wb2RjYXN0L3BvZGNhc3RfdG9kYXljbGFpcmVieXJuZS54bWw/episode/aHR0cHM6Ly9wb2RjYXN0LnJhc3NldC5pZS9wb2RjYXN0cy9hdWRpby8yMDIwLzEyMDcvMjAyMDEyMDdfcnRlcmFkaW8xLXRvZGF5Y2xhaXJlYnlybmUtc2lubmZlaW5hbl9jMjE4NzY5NDFfMjE4NzY5NDlfMjMyXy5tcDM?hl=en-IE&ved=2ahUKEwiBtdPI9LztAhWfXhUIHUjWC7sQieUEegQIBRAF&ep=6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Just listening back the bould Mary Mac sounded like she was barely holding it together before she even started-wavering voice, and not the usual strident delivery.

I can't help feeling that PK would have KO'd her in the first five minutes, but CB didn't do too badly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

elperello wrote: »
    I was listening to that part of the show this am and in fairness to CB she never mentioned any "heavy". She said a person from SF called to the door and ML McD agreed that it happened and said she knew the person.

It's straight out of the SF policy book. I had a former SF member, who I know very well, call to the door some years ago, canvassing. He knew I was openly anti the party, and challenged me loudly and emphatically at length as to why-along the lines of "what did SF ever do to you?"

Within two years, both his sister, a very prominent elected (at the time) member, who I still know well and am quite friendly with, as well as himself had left the party in a very acrimonious manner, allegations of bullying etc., abounded and were not disproven.

I took some pleasure in telling him afterward, that now he knew where I was coming from.

elperello wrote: »

It starts at about 12.40 in this podcast.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucnRlLmllL3JhZGlvMS9wb2RjYXN0L3BvZGNhc3RfdG9kYXljbGFpcmVieXJuZS54bWw/episode/aHR0cHM6Ly9wb2RjYXN0LnJhc3NldC5pZS9wb2RjYXN0cy9hdWRpby8yMDIwLzEyMDcvMjAyMDEyMDdfcnRlcmFkaW8xLXRvZGF5Y2xhaXJlYnlybmUtc2lubmZlaW5hbl9jMjE4NzY5NDFfMjE4NzY5NDlfMjMyXy5tcDM?hl=en-IE&ved=2ahUKEwiBtdPI9LztAhWfXhUIHUjWC7sQieUEegQIBRAF&ep=6

Apologies. She didn't use the word 'heavy'. I picked that up somewhere else. Listened to it again myself. Withdraw the remark and apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I heard Eamon Dunphy refer to the Shinners as a "cult" before when he had a run in with them. And there are certain characteristics of the party that would validate his assertion.

I heard Eamon Dunphy refer to the Shinners as a "cult" before when he had a run in with them. And there are certain characteristics of the party that would validate his assertion.

The SHinners IMO are a product of what they have come through. There was a necessity to be a 'secret' party that demanded loyalty...it still has that element of membership that was censored, shot at and shot dead for their beliefs. That is going to take time to disappear.
    I also, with all parties, wonder if the bullying claims that abound in all parties from time to time and most recently in the Greens (didn't get the media pile-on SF ones get funnily enough) has a lot to do with a clash between the cut and thrust of party politics as it was always done and what is called the snowflake generation.
    An awful lot of students I know today wouldn't have lasted an hour in the student politics I was involved in at a national level in the late 70' and 80's. Heady stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

My hearings not the best but I'm pretty sure I've heard Eamon Dunphy being referred to as a cult many times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Apologies. She didn't use the word 'heavy'. I picked that up somewhere else. Listened to it again myself. Withdraw the remark and apologise.

That's ok, it was Simon Harris who used the H word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the Claire Byrne show couldn't find any other busker? someone from Dublin who is more dependent on the money?

The arrogance of Gabriel Scally. "I really don't know what more people need to know to be re-assured about the vaccine". The fact that Pfizer know more about it than anybody else, and are not prepared to stand over it (having the State provide full liability for any injuries), should trump any other public marketing information that they are putting out about the vaccine. Is there any other product that is made by a private profit making business that has a State indemnity?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Who better to speak about the lack of live gigs and events and Christmas music than Ronan Collins, Jim Aitken, Maxi, Mark Kavanagh, Fiachna O'Branain, Dickie Rock, Jim Devlin John Creedon, Dave Fanning, Niall Toner...

Fr Brian D'Arcy.

The Spinmaster Father Brian D'Arcy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

The Spinmaster Father Brian D'Arcy

Must have his own table in the RTE canteen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Is there any other product that is made by a private profit making business that has a State indemnity?
    The meat industry had, and maybe still has, a state indemnity in case their customers went bankrupt or refused to pay. It was called export credit insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

The arrogance of Gabriel Scally. "I really don't know what more people need to know to be re-assured about the vaccine". The fact that Pfizer know more about it than anybody else, and are not prepared to stand over it (having the State provide full liability for any injuries), should trump any other public marketing information that they are putting out about the vaccine. Is there any other product that is made by a private profit making business that has a State indemnity?

I seem to remember some rather cosy arrangments between our financial institutions and the state quite recently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

southstar wrote: »
    I seem to remember some rather cosy arrangments between our financial institutions and the state quite recently

'L'Etat -c'est nous'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I thought the Mayo publican who wanted to open and use antigen testing came across well. I'm sure the guards called and he didn't get to open but he got his point out there and that's what he wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

That was an excellent interview with the head of Cervical Check this morning. No unnecessary gotcha questions for the sake of it, just a public health official delivering an important public health message based on facts rather than opinion and an interviewer asking the right questions about the science without creating a political controversy for the clicks. Well done to both

Advertisement