Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭littlevillage

That was an excellent interview with the head of Cervical Check this morning. No unnecessary gotcha questions for the sake of it, just a public health official delivering an important public health message based on facts rather than opinion and an interviewer asking the right questions about the science without creating a political controversy for the clicks. Well done to both

Except for the fact that Cervical screening is clearly not very accurate and maybe not be cost effective... and is only in existence to appease feminists. A national prostate screening programme would cost about the same, be about as accurate, and save just as many live's.... But females don't have a prostate....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Except for the fact that Cervical screening is clearly not very accurate and maybe not be cost effective... and is only in existence to appease feminists. A national prostate screening programme would cost about the same, be about as accurate, and save just as many live's.... But females don't have a prostate....

It shouldn’t be about either or.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

McConkey must have a bed in Montrose.

Never seems to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

NIMAN wrote: »
    McConkey must have a bed in Montrose.

Never seems to leave.

I reckon he hot bunks with Ireland's only historian, Diarmuid Ferriter

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Will we bet on who will have the 1st covid book out?

McConkey
    Holohan
    Glynn
    George Lee
    Fergal Bowers

A.n.other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭touts

There'll be one hell of a scrap when this pandemic disappears and all the celeb scientists have to fight it out for hit of media attention. The restaurant in the science building in TCD will be like the exercise yard of Mountjoy when Lonergan retired and the new governor stopped the free circulation of drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

NIMAN wrote: »
    Will we bet on who will have the 1st covid book out?

McConkey
    Holohan
    Glynn
    George Lee
    Fergal Bowers

A.n.other

Luke O'Neill is worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In fairness to McConkey, he was out ahead of the game, and has always suggested sensible strategies/ handling of it. Pretty balanced, in my opinion, as opposed to (for example) the "zero covid" crowd with no grasp of the political realities of the island. He's not beyond criticising the policies the State is pursuing, without being extreme.

He's an expert, he's balanced, I've no problem with him being one of the predominant scientists that RTE use to be honest. Basically what I want from public service broadcasting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

McConkey now with the "we need to avoid visiting this Christmas and then you can visit twice next year". We were told in March there would be a short lockdown, then it was partially opened again, before completely shutting down again to "save Christmas". Now Christmas is gone as well. They force us all to take the vaccine with the carrot of leaving lockdown, then tell us there is a new strain of COVID that the vaccine does not cover so they can start the cycle of lockdowns again.

This is never going to end. There won't be a single private business left by the time they are finished.

This is shocking but not surprising. An underclass of repeat offending criminals has been encouraged to grow by the justice industry who make money from having as many of these out and about committing as many crimes as possible and racking up hundreds of expensive appearances in court. They are a cash cow for the lawyers and judges. We need a 3 strike and your out rule. 3 strikes and once you are convicted the third time you lose access to things like early release or reduced sentences. Mandatory imposition of the maximum sentences on less than 100 people would resolve the majority of crimes in the country and the savings from the legal costs would more than offset the expense of jailing them.

• Advertisement

Thank god. Someone is finally calling out all these sports autobiographies as utter trash. This is public service broadcasting because if someone gives me yet another rugby autobiography talking about the same events I'll hit them over the head with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,020 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

touts wrote: »
    Thank god. Someone is finally calling out all these sports autobiographies as utter trash. This is public service broadcasting because if someone gives me yet another rugby autobiography talking about the same events I'll hit them over the head with it.

That's great. Who called them out?

Usually on these book reviews the reviewers are either colleagues of the person who wrote the book (I mean ghost wrote:rolleyes:) or else the presenter wrote the book.

The Last Word being the most obvious case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I reckon he hot bunks with Ireland's only historian, Diarmuid Ferriter
    Speaking of whom - what was the point of his appearance on the show the other day?

Linking relationships between Irish and British politicians over the last 100 years to the current Brexit negotiations?

Completely different context and not connected at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

I just caught up on podcast with an item about the Yorkshire Ripper. It's bad enough that Jennifer Gannon gets airtime on The Last Word but now she's on this. While I understand why sexism and racism stood in the way of the police finding Sutcliffe, we didn't need Gannon and her "in yer face" brand of feminism to pollute this item. If not reined in, she really gets up on her soapbox and preaches.

Tork wrote: »
    I just caught up on podcast with an item about the Yorkshire Ripper. It's bad enough that Jennifer Gannon gets airtime on The Last Word but now she's on this.

Yeah I thought it was shocking how she hijacked the topic with her own agenda.

McConkey now with the "we need to avoid visiting this Christmas and then you can visit twice next year". We were told in March there would be a short lockdown, then it was partially opened again, before completely shutting down again to "save Christmas". Now Christmas is gone as well. They force us all to take the vaccine with the carrot of leaving lockdown, then tell us there is a new strain of COVID that the vaccine does not cover so they can start the cycle of lockdowns again.

This is never going to end. There won't be a single private business left by the time they are finished.

I honestly think it will end, and I've been utterly pessimistic from the word go, in fact from two weeks into last January I could foresee a lost year. What will happen is that it will become like the flu vaccine, they will tweak it every year to incorporate latest strains. In fact it could possibly be incorporated with flu vaccine as an option. I know you don't like vaccine idea but I do think we will have other alternative issues to worry about after 4-6 months. We will get back the lives we lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yeah I thought it was shocking how she hijacked the topic with her own agenda.

Yeah......shocking.

An opinionated feminist woman with an agenda......where will it all end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

Have you ever heard her on The Last Word?

Tork wrote: »
    Have you ever heard her on The Last Word?

Seeing as you ask, I seldom or never listen to TLW.

If you tune into TLW and hear something you don't agree with you can't exactly complain to the BAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The presenter is just so bland and boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Bring back Sarah mac.

She was too good, so was offloaded to a male presenter on Drivetime.

I know you don't like vaccine idea but I do think we will have other alternative issues to worry about after 4-6 months. We will get back the lives we lost.

We are being given the choice now. Take the vaccine or you can't have your cancer scan, you can't have your job, you can't have any social life. A gun is being put to everybody's head. There is silence on the Government indemnity for the vaccines. Well tell me this - if Pfizer are not obliged to stand over their product, then why should I be obliged to take it?

It sort of reminds me a bit of that Stephen King movie Storm Of The Century - "give me what I want and I'll go away". That's a great series for the cold weather btw. And fortunately with Storm Of The Century, you wake up the next day and it hasn't actually happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

We are being given the choice now. Take the vaccine or you can't have your cancer scan, you can't have your job, you can't have any social life. A gun is being put to everybody's head. There is silence on the Government indemnity for the vaccines. Well tell me this - if Pfizer are not obliged to stand over their product, then why should I be obliged to take it?

It sort of reminds me a bit of that Stephen King movie Storm Of The Century - "give me what I want and I'll go away". That's a great series for the cold weather btw. And fortunately with Storm Of The Century, you wake up the next day and it hasn't actually happened!

Hope they find a vaccine for bloated self regard

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Was moving around the house doing bits n pieces and generally ignoring the radio. Sat down just now and Claire is talking to a dermatologist for a change :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Was moving around the house doing bits n pieces and generally ignoring the radio. Sat down just now and Claire is talking to a dermatologist for a change :rolleyes:

That's what I do now with Today with CB...pretty much switched full-time to Pat over on Newstalk. I've been listening to Today since the old (glory) days of Pat and thought I'd move with him when he left for Newstalk, but I stayed with Sean O'Rourke...did a great job. When Sarah McInerney stepped in, I still pretty much stuck with it.

I started to switch back and forth to Pat more when CB arrived and have migrated fully now...she's really poor. This show might eventually hit the depths of the sh1te she churns out on her dire TV show.

elperello wrote: »
    If you tune into [The Last Word] and hear something you don't agree with you can't exactly complain to the BAI.
    What? Are you under the impression that the BAI is only for RTE?
    BAI wrote:
    provide for, and decide on, complaints from viewers and listeners regarding broadcast content on all Irish broadcasting services

Cole wrote: »
    I started to switch back and forth to Pat more when CB arrived and have migrated fully now...she's really poor. This show might eventually hit the depths of the sh1te she churns out on her dire TV show.
    I usually stay with Claire until 10:30. After that, God knows what's going to be on, so I either turn to Pat or turn off.

I think it's right to draw a comparison to her TV show. I watched one full episode of it and thought WTF is this? To me, it couldn't decide whether it was trying to be a current affairs programme or a magazine-type show, or some hybrid of both, with way too many topics shoe-horned in in the time allowed and then not enough time for a proper discussion.

In some ways it seemed to me as if it was Claire's audition for the (unopen) Late Late Show gig. And actually, I'd have no objection to her doing it, so long as she gave this slot back to Sarah McInerney.

serfboard wrote: »
    What? Are you under the impression that the BAI is only for RTE?

No I'm not.

By all means feel free to send in your complaint that some woman on the radio said something you don't agree with.

elperello wrote: »
    No I'm not.

By all means feel free to send in your complaint that some woman on the radio said something you don't agree with.
    Well it's not me that's complaining, but,
    elperello wrote:
    If you tune into TLW and hear something you don't agree with you can't exactly complain to the BAI.
    sounded to me like the person cannot compain to the BAI. I was pointing out that this is not the case.

Your clarification makes it clear that the person can complain to the BAI, although they may not be satisfied with the result ...

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    Well it's not me that's complaining, but,

sounded to me like the person cannot compain to the BAI. I was pointing out that this is not the case.

Your clarification makes it clear that the person can complain to the BAI, although they may not be satisfied with the result ...

No worries.

Sorry for any confusion.

The point I was making (a bit hamfistedly :)) was that you need to have grounds for a complaint to the BAI.

Hearing something you disagree with on the radio may not cut it.

Advertisement