Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

serfboard wrote: »
    I usually stay with Claire until 10:30. After that, God knows what's going to be on, so I either turn to Pat or turn off.

I think it's right to draw a comparison to her TV show. I watched one full episode of it and thought WTF is this? To me, it couldn't decide whether it was trying to be a current affairs programme or a magazine-type show, or some hybrid of both, with way too many topics shoe-horned in in the time allowed and then not enough time for a proper discussion.

In some ways it seemed to me as if it was Claire's audition for the (unopen) Late Late Show gig. And actually, I'd have no objection to her doing it, so long as she gave this slot back to Sarah McInerney.

I think she is actually doing a long audition for LLS, showcasing what she'd turn the show into with a bit of a light twist with the sets, and I think that could actually work on LL. Claire Byrne Live TV show has always tried to cram a lot of stuff in, not serving any item very well. I've been in the audience several times, and it never really afforded audience participation and does just as well without, the sets filling in some studio ambience.

I think LLS would benefit from this set-up and with a studio audience to boot (post Covid) it could be quite entertaining, making most use of the more affordable z-list guests. Claire doesn't take it all too seriously, and doesn't seem to have a death & misery fetish, but would still be able to handle sensitive topics with apparent sincerity when they might arise. She comes across nicely to the studio audience (she might ask something like "did you get the bus in?.. I think you' might catch the last one after the show", the atmosphere is relaxed, there is very friendly interaction with staff.

I think she would work very well on LL, which would be a much enhanced version what she already does, but they would have to find a niche for Tubridy. I don't think he's overly interested in what he does, but welcomes the income it brings. If they take him off LLS it would surely mean a downgrade in income, can't imagine that being found acceptable.

The BAI hardly ever upholds complaints... even ones that would have teal substance. To me they look more like the Broadcasting Association of Ireland than the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland

Micheál Martin having a bit of a dig at Cillian de Gascún there for not sequencing the virus to see what mutations were taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Michael Martin have a mare on Claire Byrne - see will Claire give him a way out - open goal here....

Digging himself deeper - MM is not a good communicator imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Micheál Martin having a bit of a dig at Cillian de Gascún there for not sequencing the virus to see what mutations were taking place.

Not just at De Gascun - he threw all of them under the Bus there and praising the UK as well.

• Advertisement

Martin is a dreadful communicator, unfortunately. But Claire is not a very good interviewer, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Why did he mention "mackerel" in particular? It's the way he said it that gets to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

What was the third B of the three Bs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

McConkey now with the "we need to avoid visiting this Christmas and then you can visit twice next year". We were told in March there would be a short lockdown, then it was partially opened again, before completely shutting down again to "save Christmas". Now Christmas is gone as well. They force us all to take the vaccine with the carrot of leaving lockdown, then tell us there is a new strain of COVID that the vaccine does not cover so they can start the cycle of lockdowns again.

This is never going to end. There won't be a single private business left by the time they are finished.

What do you suggest. Let every thing go back to normal and who let everyone fend for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Fair play to PBH he is not letting the Minister fob him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

A grilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I'm no fan of PBH but he is miles ahead of Byrne when it comes to interviewing these ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

mgn wrote: »
    I'm no fan of PBH but he is miles ahead of Byrne when it comes to interviewing these ministers.

Claire is miles ahead when it comes to discussing moisturiser though.

Who is this ar$eh0le "james" on speaking about the attack on Congress last night? Missed the start of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Who the **** was that asshole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Any chance CB can continue her extended Christmas holidays for a few more weeks. I’ve enjoyed the last few days again with PBH at the helm. No wushu washey questions, straight into to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Philip Boucher Hayes really is letting the RTE mask slip today. He makes Jonathan Healy sound reasonable today.

Funny how RTE don't care whether other contributors are qualified to speak about vaccines (their own employee Ryan Tubridy for example on the previous show) if they are saying the correct thing, and parroting the Government line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Good god, Philip Boucher Hayes is woeful. Such an angry arrogant man, not a semblance of manners or professionalism.

Philip Boucher Hayes really is letting the RTE mask slip today. He makes Jonathan Healy sound reasonable today.

How's that? Is it because he's actually asking difficult questions and not letting rabbit on with guff?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE seem to want to prolong the virus, once the vulnerable groups and front line workers are vaccinated it's game on and back to normal. If it's not we need to stop driving cars as the death rate will be significantly higher than Covids impact amongst the healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fair play to Darragh O’Brien.....ripped out Boucher-Hayes a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Mr Velo wrote: »
    How's that? Is it because he's actually asking difficult questions and not letting rabbit on with guff?

No I agree with asking tough questions. But he is completely dismissing the RyanAir representatives opinions on vaccines because it is critical of the Government. If he says that the RyanAir doesn't know enough to speak about vaccinations, then they also need to tell Conor Pope, Ryan Tubridy, Ray D'Arcy, Stephanie Preisner, and all of the other panel contributors to also stfu.

No I agree with asking tough questions. But he is completely dismissing the RyanAir representatives opinions on vaccines because it is critical of the Government. If he says that the RyanAir doesn't know enough to speak about vaccinations, then they also need to tell Conor Pope, Ryan Tubridy, Ray D'Arcy, Stephanie Preisner, and all of the other panel contributors to also stfu.

Ah - good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Turned on, and turned off as soon as they had the ISAG scientist back on. Maybe PBH was more questioning, but every time I hear him he's completely oblivious the political realities of the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmm partly agree there, but we always need to take the vested interests, into account.

The vested interests will always try to tilt the bar towards the vested interest, and thus queer the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,907 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So just to check - PBH is better and worse than Claire Byrne. And he's been on top of and also got beaten down by ministers. And he's both for and against Covid or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Colm O'Rourke must be the only secondary school principal in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Very shouty down from PBH.

The slowness of the vaccine roll out is what a lot of people are talking about.

Only public health experts able to talk about Covid according to PBH. As you say, many RTE journalists talk crap about it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

I find it difficult to make a judgement on most of PBH's interviews and find it hard to focus on the topic...because I get so distracted by the level of his obnoxious smugness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Cole wrote: »
    I find it difficult to make a judgement on most of PBH's interviews and find it hard to focus on the topic...because I get so distracted by the level of his obnoxious smugness.

And the boring tone of his voice.

Advertisement