Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

By doing what, instituting a day and night curfew.

This is not a police state, in case we haven’t noticed.

By following the advice of NPHET who warned that if the gvernment did what they insisted on doing -twice, the numbers would escalate out of control.

Today the numbers are at almost 8,300 and our ICU beds are filling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Come on lads, we can not blame the government for what's happening now. It's purely and simply down to individual actions in gathering in groups over Christmas.

Absolutely nothing they do or don't do now will have any effect unless people start limiting their contacts and stay the fcuk away from each other.

I work in a nursing home and our chef was recently diagnosed positive, apart from being the most careful person I know, didn't sit with anyone at lunch time, didn't meet up with her boyfriend, nothing and still she has been diagnosed positive because other ****ing idiots brought it into our nursing home by having parties.

Now her parents, who are both in their 80's have both been diagnosed positive. I will not sleep well tonight wondering will she lose one of them because of gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

By following the advice of NPHET who warned that if the gvernment did what they insisted on doing -twice, the numbers would escalate out of control.

Today the numbers are at almost 8,300 and our ICU beds are filling up.

And if the public had followed the advice of the govt that wouldn’t have happened..

Pat wanted Xmas and he/she was having it ...and now we are paying.

End of.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Come on lads, we can not blame the government for what's happening now. It's purely and simply down to individual actions in gathering in groups over Christmas.

Absolutely nothing they do or don't do now will have any effect unless people start limiting their contacts and stay the fcuk away from each other.

I work in a nursing home and our chef was recently diagnosed positive, apart from being the most careful person I know, didn't sit with anyone at lunch time, didn't meet up with her boyfriend, nothing and still she has been diagnosed positive because other ****ing idiots brought it into our nursing home by having parties.

Now her parents, who are both in their 80's have both been diagnosed positive. I will not sleep well tonight wondering will she lose one of them because of gob****es.

They opened up hospitality and allowed a range of activity now banned. They were told of the consequences of that by the experts. They ignored it.

You cannot tell people they can do things and then blame them for doing it.

And if the public had followed the advice of the govt that wouldn’t have happened..

Pat wanted Xmas and he/she was having it ...and now we are paying.

End of.

Retail and gatherings WERE allowed in the run up to Christmas Brendi.

• Advertisement

They opened up hospitality and allowed a range of activity now banned. They were told of the consequences of that by the experts. They ignored it.

End of, Francie.

End of, Francie.

What?

Retail and gatherings WERE allowed in the run up to Christmas Brendi.

Not at the level Pat dipped his feet in.

I could outline the amount of parties, lack of social distancing, crowds ,in numerous house parties, near where I live over Xmas AND beyond.

Pat went mad, and now we pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

It is not hospitality that spread it. It's house gatherings. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I could outline the amount of parties, lack of social distancing, crowds ,in numerous house parties, near where I live over Xmas AND beyond.

Ah the anecdote that matches your defence...great.

So why are there no gatherings now brendi? Why were there none when the figures were brought down below 200.

Take your time working it out.

• Advertisement

Apologies to Radio forum...got drawn into Brendi's valiant defence of FG again and now realise it's off topic here. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

Pat hasn't been in this slot in 6/7 years! What's he got to do with it??

Sorry....

People take as many chances with life as they feel they can get away with, seems to be human nature. During an emergency like this stage of the pandemic it appears we need to be more regulated by authorities than in ordinary times, simply to save lives and manage availability of folk to look after health & other services.

Anyway this is more a discussion for the main Covid forum, so please let's try and keep it at that and keep next discussion to whatever aspect is next brought up on Today with Claire Byrne, on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The Government went with the political realities over Christmas - people would've ignored the advice, so what is the Boards SF representative suggesting should've happened? Gardai doing house to house checks on Christmas Day?

Similarly, here in Wicklow over the weekend that it's pretty obvious that compliance with the 5km travel restrictions and meeting with others outside is being ignored, despite that being the current level of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Bloody hell! Leo is literally falling all over the place here, almost begging to be shown up by Claire and she can't even spot it let alone ask him the hard question!! Ray D'Darcy or Des Cahill could have finished him off FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Leo chuckling as Claire tells him we are the worst in the world.....followed up by "a million will be vaccinated by the end of March".....only after Claire picked him up on it did he change the dates to May.

Leo is having a mare here ,if only SOR was doing this interview.

Update - Claire landing a few punches now - Norma Foley , Yesterday's leak and the government legitimising it.

Leo very poor today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

It sounds like a chat over coffee with two friends, nice friendly chat.

When Leo cant answer a question, she answers it for him in case it looks bad for him, unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Ah lads save yourself the stress and get over to Pat...got stuck into Anne O'Connor from the HSE and Miceal Martin this morning. Even though I'm behind the HSE/NPHET/the gov., I like to hear Pat properly challenge them and have the odd freak out on some of the fcuk ups.

RIP the Today show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

mgn wrote: »
    It sounds like a chat over coffee with two friends, nice friendly chat.

When Leo cant answer a question, she answers it for him in case it looks bad for him, unbelievable.

She is useless at what she is meant to do. SOR must be listening to this and shaking his head.

She is useless at what she is meant to do. SOR must be listening to this and shaking his head.

More like shaking his pension book; he's retired since the summer and he won't be back :(

• Advertisement

More like shaking his pension book; he's retired since the summer and he won't be back :(

His former colleagues at the Big Birthday Bash didn’t do him any favours.

Not much chance of slipping in under the radar after that ....for a good while anaway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'm still scratching me head wondering when Byrne is going to show some semblance of being a broadcaster...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

His former colleagues at the Big Birthday Bash didn’t do him any favours.

Not much chance of slipping in under the radar after that ....for a good while anaway. ;)

I have no doubt SOR will be back on our screens/radio at some point.

They will let the heat die down, but he'll be back.
    I'd guess sometime next year, 2022.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have no doubt SOR will be back on our screens/radio at some point.

They will let the heat die down, but he'll be back.
    I'd guess sometime next year, 2022.

They'll try and do it like Leo slipped the senators back on a big news day like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I hope he is back. He was good

Another week of flimsy student journalism and teenager fluff....

On today's show we let a Sinn Fein TD talk aggressively for 20 minutes without so much as a fact check; Rick O'Shea pops in between links on his radio show to talk about a book we gave him 5 minutes ago, we review the weekends soaps and Covid19; what brand of foundation and blusher do our nurses wear?

They'll try and do it like Leo slipped the senators back on a big news day like today.

Or like MaryLou who did nothing at all to Stanno, Cullinane, or the fat dude from Tipp.

Just complied with the Army Council instructions.

But we won’t derail the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So tonight on the TV show she is going to be doing a "Brexit shop".

Another mock-up in the studio then!

Just think, there is probably a team of guys now in RTE, all well paid, making up a mini supermarket for Claire to shop in tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

So tonight on the TV show she is going to be doing a "Brexit shop".

Another mock-up in the studio then!

Just think, there is probably a team of guys now in RTE, all well paid, making up a mini supermarket for Claire to shop in tonight.

Probably started working on it yesterday to get the double time for Sunday.

• Advertisement

Even with there being perfectly fine shops on the sets of both Fair City and Ros na Run. Plus, it should offer some overtime for the set hands.

Advertisement