Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

On today's show we let a Sinn Fein TD talk aggressively for 20 minutes without so much as a fact check
    You must be listening to a different show to me if you think that Sinn Fein TDs are the only ones who get away lightly on this programme - this morning's interview with Paschal Donohoe being a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

serfboard wrote: »
    You must be listening to a different show to me if you think that Sinn Fein TDs are the only ones who get away lightly on this programme - this morning's interview with Paschal Donohoe being a case in point.

I don't think they are the only ones who get off lightly on the show.

Everybody gets away lightly on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

See you again love, I’ve some broccoli to look at!

Weddings again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

I don't think they are the only ones who get off lightly on the show.

Everybody gets away lightly on the show.

But is the purpose of these shows not to allow the LISTNER to hear the opinions of the interviewees?

And not to have interviewer attack dogs pursue interviewees to show how great they are?

I’m not a great fan of Byrne but in fairness to her her interviews are relatively calm and do allow us to hear what the interviewees have to say.

Contrast that with Newsrant, where you have Ciara Screechy Kelly with her endless questions. If she were to ask somebody what time is it she would probably ask “can you tell me what time is it - is it 8 o’clock or a quarter to 8 and if it was the same time this time tomorrow would it be 7 o’clock or a quarter past 7 and is it really that time or is that just a figment of our imagination “ and on, and on, and on.

And as for Pat Kenny Ive got sick and tired of him /endlessly harrumphing about how awful everything is, how much better it would have been if anyone had listened to him, how much he knows, and by God does he let us know it!

Rant over!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,907 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Will Yam wrote: »
    But is the purpose of these shows not to allow the LISTNER to hear the opinions of the interviewees?

Opinions and facts are not the same thing though.

And not to have interviewer attack dogs pursue interviewees to show how great they are?

I’m not a great fan of Byrne but in fairness to her her interviews are relatively calm and do allow us to hear what the interviewees have to say.
    I'd have a different standard when it comes to politicians and to ordinary members of the public.

Ordinary members of the public shouldn't be continuously interrupted, but politicians should, because invariably they're either clueless or lying.

I think Sean O'Rourke had this balance right - attack-dog style for the politicians when he smelled bullsh1t, and a more gentle style for everyone else.

Claire takes the gentle approach to everyone, which is why her interviewing politicians makes for very poor listening, IMO.

By all means let them say their bit but don't give them free reign and don't let them set neither the agenda nor the pace.

CB is fronting a news and current affairs show. Typically these shows are about expanding, breaking down and explaining the news with those who make the stories. Where the presenter or host slot in here is that they need to tackle the stories and to expand the facts for us. Inevitably this means awkward, hard and occasionally antagonistic questions.

CB is unable or unwilling to do any of this and it's hurting the schedule. Editorially it appears that the shows direction is dictated by her weaknesses on air, and that is not a good thing for RTÉ to be fostering. Perhaps we were spoilt with SOR in recent years when he replaced PK but as it is now, the show is a pale imitation of what we have come to expect from the timeslot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

By all means let them say their bit but don't give them free reign and don't let them set neither the agenda nor the pace.

CB is fronting a news and current affairs show. Typically these shows are about expanding, breaking down and explaining the news with those who make the stories. Where the presenter or host slot in here is that they need to tackle the stories and to expand the facts for us. Inevitably this means awkward, hard and occasionally antagonistic questions.

CB is unable or unwilling to do any of this and it's hurting the schedule. Editorially it appears that the shows direction is dictated by her weaknesses on air, and that is not a good thing for RTÉ to be fostering. Perhaps we were spoilt with SOR in recent years when he replaced PK but as it is now, the show is a pale imitation of what we have come to expect from the timeslot.

Correct Losty.....the whole tenet of the show has slid down many notches in the ‘ must listen to’ stakes.

Getting very much moved into the ‘weak and watery ‘ division.

See my post on the MI thread posted this morning ref Audrey Carville.

And the thing is that this downhill trajectory of the show was preventable if they had left Sarah McInerney in the slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Here we go with more half truths being peddled in the media. They have a piece on now about higher covid rates in poorer areas.
    The reporter specifically mentions Belmullet as one of the highest infection rates in the country as it has a very high number of manual labourers vs Stillorgan! Ask anyone from Belmullet or its environs about the high covid numbers down there and the real story quickly becomes apparent

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What is that music?
    Some other station interrupting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Darcy has finally had a breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭zell12

And there it is again!! Two separate songs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

zell12 wrote: »
    What is that music?
    Some other station interrupting?

There it goes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some musical gremlins !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭cozar

someone trying to get their playlist on air. sounds ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Shorty69664

jay0109 wrote: »
    Here we go with more half truths being peddled in the media. They have a piece on now about higher covid rates in poorer areas.
    The reporter specifically mentions Belmullet as one of the highest infection rates in the country as it has a very high number of manual labourers vs Stillorgan! Ask anyone from Belmullet or its environs about the high covid numbers down there and the real story quickly becomes apparent

But that real story could never be mentioned on RTE...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What's the 'real story'?

Claire Byrne just admitted to having attended hairdressers all along and still does, although she tried box dye herself most recently. One rule for us and another for RTÉ folk.

• Advertisement

And people "being poor" because they only have one bathroom. Do they not realise this has been the standard build for most ordinary middle class Dublin pre recent decades of the multiple bathrooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Anti travel brigade out in action today.

Great let's really lock ourselves into our island for the foreseeable.

Claire Byrne just admitted to having attended hairdressers all along and still does, although she tried box dye herself most recently. One rule for us and another for RTÉ folk.

She could excuse it as research purposes if her show is anything to go by.

She could excuse it as research purposes if her show is anything to go by.

If her husband is very talented with doing hair, but she maintains a style that requires constant precision maintenance. Other female presenters are sporting bushy/long hair/ponytails and the men home trimmed by partners.

Anti travel brigade out in action today.

Great let's really lock ourselves into our island for the foreseeable.

I have bookings for short breaks booked through agents/tour companies which I can am will probably have to cancel with promise of refunds/vouchers. I'm hoping that I might be able to go on one of them, even if it's Christmas in Austria. The bit of hope amidst the reality keeps me going and I'm well aware it could be very like last year for a long while. I'm trying to support the travel companies by showing I'm ready to go once it is proved to be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If her husband is very talented with doing hair, but she maintains a style that requires constant precision maintenance. Other female presenters are sporting bushy/long hair/ponytails and the men home trimmed by partners.
    Slightly O/T, but Jeremy Paxman wasn't afraid to let it all hang out during the last lockdown :D
    https://images.app.goo.gl/jGAbqqCJcaxsWHsP8

I can't bear but to be fair to Claire and her flair for hair care when on air, there are hairdressers/stylists and make up artists on site for the various TV companies.

Obviously if ones hair is attended to in studio then you get to keep said hairdo :)

Wogan+70s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭KaneToad

What's the 'real story'?

A huge public gathering in a local hotel around the Christmas period. I could mention the venue...but I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

What's the real story?

Edit: sorry just saw the post above

Why not mention the venue? If it happened it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭KaneToad

What's the real story?

Edit: sorry just saw the post above

A tripadvisor review of the venue from October suggest they weren't very Covid compliant then either...

Advertisement