Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

O Brien is almost as irratating as Norma Foley, suggesting there won't be an election for four years is widely ambitious

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dempo1 wrote: »
    O Brien is almost as irratating as Norma Foley, suggesting there won't be an election for four years is widely ambitious

He's an ambitious guy.

As an aside I thought he definitely had his Weetabix this morning.

He'd nearly have interviewed himself.

elperello wrote: »
    He's an ambitious guy.

Too true but I'm amazed at these notions construction closed and 700/800 houses a week not being built due to lockdown, it's just absurd, at that rate the numbers being built would be multiples of what's actual being reported annually. He's was caught out though not being able to say who will benefit from these new help to buy schemes. Ultimately he's still a buffoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

elperello wrote: »
    He's an ambitious guy.

He loves the sound of his own voice and like any good politician he believes the rubbish that he spouts. I've heard him being interviewed quite a few times and he comes across as quite condescending and borderline arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

he comes across as ... borderline arrogant.
    Arrogance is a requirement for politicians.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »

So is intelligence, well at least one would hope it is, but then again....................

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Bit harsh there IMO.

However, a bit of self belief and a touch of confidence need to be in their toolbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A horse dentist is a guest today. The wedding planners, beauticians and Dr Coleman must all be off playing in the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

What is MM not vaccinated?
    I assumed the cabinet had all been vaccinated at the start.

Madness if they haven't been.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I would have assumed that they would have been. Seems we were wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Like so much pandemic related, they can't win. Should be vaccinated for the sake of the State and the importance of the position they hold, but would ripped apart for "skipping the queue" if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Macy0161 wrote: »
    would ripped apart for "skipping the queue" if they did.
    And rightly so.

The tiers for people to be vaccinated have been quite clearly laid out. Nowhere does "politician" feature on any tier.

The politicians will have to wait to get vaccinated - the same as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

And rightly so.

The tiers for people to be vaccinated have been quite clearly laid out. Nowhere does "politician" feature on any tier.

The politicians will have to wait to get vaccinated - the same as the rest of us.

I would have been more than happy to see all TDs getting it first while the rest of us watched to see if there were any side effects.

And rightly so.

Who who runs the country when the whole cabinet is out sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The civil servants like the have always done, politicians are only nodding dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

mgn wrote: »
    The civil servants like the have always done, politicians are only nodding dogs.

Any point in holding elections, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The civil service, the permanent government

Any point in holding elections, then?

No, not really. Have a look around and see what's elected, half of them wouldn't run a tuck shop in a school never mind anything to do with running the country. just as well the have very little power.

Do we vaccinate senior civil servants then?

• Advertisement

Do we vaccinate senior civil servants then?

I would have no problem with that, the after all frontline workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Essential workers, not frontline workers.

So we vaccinate senior civil servants (who run the country apparently) after frontline workers and pensioners. And the cabinet wait their turn for each of their age cohorts to be vaccinated.

Am I right? Is that what you are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Twenty minutes of a non issue discussion - Joe Duffy style emotional questioning - the GAA have concurred with the government's decision yet the contributors want the GAA to fight the decision.......

Shameful - could apply the same about the non story of vaccinations for politicians - from the get go 'age' has been the key decider of who gets the vaccine first after front line workers ie Medics
    Not just in Ireland but in the majority of jurisdictions around the world.

I expect more of these nonsense stories to feature on the Claire Byrne story for a while unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Not going to get the teachers back in school before the holidays at this stage. Government far too afraid of the unions to tell them to go back into the classrooms.

No, not really. Have a look around and see what's elected, half of them wouldn't run a tuck shop in a school never mind anything to do with running the country. just as well the have very little power.

Darragh O'brien looks like he could run a Tuck shop

So we vaccinate senior civil servants (who run the country apparently) after frontline workers and pensioners. And the cabinet wait their turn for each of their age cohorts to be vaccinated.

Am I right? Is that what you are saying?

You asked if senior civil servants should be vaccinated and i said I wouldn't have a problem with it, no one said anything about them getting it before the politicians.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Essential workers, not frontline workers.

The problem is the bizzare definition of essential workers, if I work in a DIY store, Mobile phone shop, a bicycle repair shop, I'm classified as essential. I'm not in anyway being critical of such workers but I'm questioning the determination of what is really an essential worker, the current definition is just bizzare

Not going to get the teachers back in school before the holidays at this stage. Government far too afraid of the unions to tell them to go back into the classrooms.

Why do I get an impression that not a single teacher wants to return or certainly delay it as long as possible, this alwwys seems the impression when representative bodies interviewed, just seems a new excuse developed daily.

• Advertisement

Absolute B******, the visit is not essential FFS, if the Olympics can be cancelled, every major political leaders conferences, Most major sporting events etc be cancelled surely a single cringe enducing shamrock exchange ceremony can be postponed. This is more about MM getting his photo op done whilst he's actually in office, it's every Taoiseachs wet dream.

Advertisement