Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Brid Smith getting a new one ripped out for her.

The idiot is just trying to use the pandemic as a stick to beat the Taoiseach and being pwned.

Derek Mooney the guys name.

Taoiseach should get the vac and go to Washington if invited, and ignore those idiots.

Well done for confirming that this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've just ordered some Mills and Bloom books, it will really help me during this Poxy Lockdown, FFS

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

The idiot is just trying to use the pandemic as a stick to beat the Taoiseach and being pwned.

Taoiseach should get the vac and go to Washington if invited, and ignore those idiots.

What is it about Derek Mooneys? Are they all as equally irritating? Just asking for a friend.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Absolute B******, the visit is not essential FFS, if the Olympics can be cancelled, every major political leaders conferences, Most major sporting events etc be cancelled surely a single cringe enducing shamrock exchange ceremony can be postponed. This is more about MM getting his photo op done whilst he's actually in office, it's every Taoiseachs wet dream.

Complete rubbish peddled by a coterie who are the first to stick up their mitts looking for handouts.

Promulgated by folk who haven’t a clue how diplomacy works and how the country benefits from the contacts and interaction garnered by these visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

mgn wrote: »
    You asked if senior civil servants should be vaccinated and i said I wouldn't have a problem with it, no one said anything about them getting it before the politicians.

Have a look at the context of the question.

And come back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Infoanon

They are both equally annoying,if anything Smith fought her corner better but she is on a far easier wicket.

Again the whole thing is a non story - there's a lot more important stories going on but CB doesn't cover them - books and food incoming.....

I've just ordered some Mills and Bloom books, it will really help me during this Poxy Lockdown, FFS

Helps if you actually get the name right.

Mills & Boon

Complete rubbish peddled by a coterie who are the first to stick up their mitts looking for handouts.

Promulgated by folk who haven’t a clue how diplomacy works and how the country benefits from the contacts and interaction garnered by these visits.

I lived and worked in the US for a number of years, there's no denying an affection for all things Irish, albeit some astonishing lack of real understanding of what goes on in Ireland. I get the diplomatic argument, I get the economic argument (albeit more about tax breaks, I won't dwell of Apples little tax problems) but seriously is a visit NOW really essential, it's a nonsense. Is America going to cut off diplomatic relations, introduce Tarrifs etc if MM skips the annual and absurd Shamrock exchange junket, I think not.

Helps if you actually get the name right.

Mills & Boon

Are you a subscriber? If so I'm truely sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Joe Biden is a good friend to Ireland. He did a lot of work on the North. When Brexit was going on Irish American politicians backed us on the Border. If Joe Biden issues an invitation to Micheal Martin he should accept that are invitation and travel. It's Joe Biden first St Patrick's Day in Office. It would be a tremendous insult not to accept.

Vacination of the cabinet is critical. They have to travel to EU meetings. Whatever senior public servants that go with them need to be vaccinated as well. What is it 100 ish people. While it is critical to vaccinate the vulnerable section of the community it is critical to keep the country running as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    They are both equally annoying,if anything Smith fought her corner better but she is on a far easier wicket.

Again the whole thing is a non story - there's a lot more important stories going on but CB doesn't cover them - books and food incoming.....

Non story is correct.

Martin should ignore these idiots, who we all know are just using this to get free publicity from RTE.

We also know that Smith would be the first on a plane to Cuba or some similar place if she got the chance.

Not fooling anybody here, but of course typical of Clare ensured it got airtime.

Joe Biden is a good friend to Ireland. He did a lot of work on the North. When Brexit was going on Irish American politicians backed us on the Border. If Joe Biden issues an invitation to Micheal Martin he should accept that are invitation and travel. It's Joe Biden first St Patrick's Day in Office. It would be a tremendous insult not to accept.

Vacination of the cabinet is critical. They have to travel to EU meetings. Whatever senior public servants that go with them need to be vaccinated as well. What is it 100 ish people. While it is critical to vaccinate the vulnerable section of the community it is critical to keep the country running as well.

The Irony of having to be vaccinated before attending EU Meetings

Non story is correct.

Martin should ignore these idiots, who we all know are just using this to get free publicity from RTE.

We also know that Smith would be the first on a plane to Cuba or some similar place if she got the chance.

Not fooling anybody here, but of course typical of Clare ensured it got airtime.

Not only that CB use of the phrase about people finding it hard to stomach was an absolute disgrace.

Slava Ukrainii

The Irony of having to be vaccinated before attending EU Meetings

Why is it an irony. It a simple fact you do not want you country leadership at risk

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Jesus, Ireland needs to read some better books!

I am confused are they reading them, or just listening ?

Not only that CB use of the phrase about people finding it hard to stomach was an absolute disgrace.

I’m conscious of not drifting this into a political discussion too much.

However I often wonder do RTE presenters ever consider their propensity of lining up with the ‘opposition and the nay sayers’ against the ‘establishment’.

Would they ever think of telling Smith that the Taoiseach is perfectly entitled as the leader of the country to do the job he is being paid to do, in the best interest of the country.

Let’s see how she would handle that. There seems to be kind of an ‘unwritten law’ that the presenter sides with the ‘opposition’.

Watch for the pressure ramping up now from the vested interests as Easter approaches.

Why is it an irony. It a simple fact you do not want you country leadership at risk

Just referring to the EU"s absolute incompetence re vaccine procurement, Roll out etc etc etc

Jesus, Ireland needs to read some better books!

I am confused are they reading them, or just listening ?

Eitherway it's disturbing :)

I lived and worked in the US for a number of years, there's no denying an affection for all things Irish, albeit some astonishing lack of real understanding of what goes on in Ireland. I get the diplomatic argument, I get the economic argument (albeit more about tax breaks, I won't dwell of Apples little tax problems) but seriously is a visit NOW really essential, it's a nonsense. Is America going to cut off diplomatic relations, introduce Tarrifs etc if MM skips the annual and absurd Shamrock exchange junket, I think not.

Well then stop flogging a dead horse, dude.

Well then stop flogging a dead horse, dude.

I was waiting the Dude, Mate bit, I see your fond of of getting onto back and forth"s, I don't intend to oblige, suffice to say, we're all entitled to an opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Neasa Hourigan is seriously impressive as a public rep. She answered the questions put to her without hesitation and was clear
    Thanks Dublin Central for electing her.

zell12 wrote: »
    Neasa Hourigan is seriously impressive as a public rep. She answered the questions put to her without hesitation and was clear

Yes have to agree, rare to hear any politician to answer questions honestly. I'm not a fan of current limp leadership of the Greens, the party seems to be imploding, I sense a new off shoot Party before next election.

zell12 wrote: »

She didn’t answer one question directly, foot in both camps.

She’d be far happier in opposition where she could say what she liked and not have to deliver, as she intimated.

That’s the impression she gave me anyway.

Soz to rain on your parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Absolute B******, the visit is not essential FFS, if the Olympics can be cancelled, every major political leaders conferences, Most major sporting events etc be cancelled surely a single cringe enducing shamrock exchange ceremony can be postponed. This is more about MM getting his photo op done whilst he's actually in office, it's every Taoiseachs wet dream.

This. He's worried he won't be there in 12 months. he wants that pic more than anything. No other reason to go there. Biden is a friend of Ireland, he doesn't need to be wooed.

Diplomacy works in many ways. A direct face-to-face meeting is not a necessity at this time. It's symbolically bad, right now to fly to the States, whether he has the vaccine or not. We are talking about fining people thousands for breaching regulations, he should set an example.

The sooner he made a decision to not go, the better. He should stay here, have a Zoom meeting with Biden on the 17th and put the story to bed.

It's not just Martin, it's the whole entourage who are at risk of cross contaminating each other.

KevRossi wrote: »
    This. He's worried he won't be there in 12 months. he wants that pic more than anything. No other reason to go there. Biden is a friend of Ireland, he doesn't need to be wooed.

Diplomacy works in many ways. A direct face-to-face meeting is not a necessity at this time. It's symbolically bad, right now to fly to the States, whether he has the vaccine or not. We are talking about fining people thousands for breaching regulations, he should set an example.

The sooner he made a decision to not go, the better. He should stay here, have a Zoom meeting with Biden on the 17th and put the story to bed.

It's not just Martin, it's the whole entourage who are at risk of cross contaminating each other.

Put very elegantly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The best cover versions of all times coming up.

Cutting edge stuff.

I bet N17 will win

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

sligojoek wrote: »
    The best cover versions of all times coming up.

Cutting edge stuff.

I bet N17 will win

The lads who get paid to tell us what's good on the telly and stuff are having an absolute field day right now. Between byrne, o'connor and the rest of them, they're hardly ever off the radio.

Colm o Rourke 100% correct, it's become a free for all on opinions, it's become a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

So CLaire Byrne not discussing the news of extended lockdown until at least early May.

Sure this is the biggest news of the day!

No discussion on how this will affect people... Jaysis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Colm O Rourke was calling out the nonsense there much to Claires dislike.
    Jen Hogan continued to blame the ASTI despite O Rourke killing that line.
    All of this was avoidable if plans had been put in place and assessments had commenced in September - no plans and a poor Minister combining to create this mess.

Advertisement