Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Doesn't make sense to vaccinate a 85 year old and not vaccinate their 79 year old husband/wife at the same time. Their quality of life will remain abysmal until both are done. Needs to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I can't say I know much about the stardust disaster but I recall my nightclub years in the late 80"s, 90's and most were absolute death traps. I don't understand why if arson has been determined, why is this decision being objected too. The Judge certainly didn't suggest for a second evey patron was an arsonist.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Colm O Rourke was calling out the nonsense there much to Claires dislike.
    Jen Hogan continued to blame the ASTI despite O Rourke killing that line.
    All of this was avoidable if plans had been put in place and assessments had commenced in September - no plans and a poor Minister combining to create this mess.

Completely agree, I wonder if these highly knowledgeable and opiniated Students were told, enjoy the rest of 2021, your in secondary for another year and you can sit your leaving cert in 2022. Simple solution really

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Any subtitles ?

Absolutely outrageous, the neck of some people, Joe Duffy must be developing an erection in advance of today's show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Any subtitles ?

i only just got the drift , people going on holiday booking dental appointments so they have a travel excuse to go on holiday !

i only just got the drift , people going on holiday booking dental appointments so they have a travel excuse to go on holiday !

It just goes to show the lengths people will go to to fly out, just extraordinary.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It just goes to show the lengths people will go to to fly out, just extraordinary.

honestly I'm not surprised the more you lock things down the more people will work round it.

a friend was flying out of belfast this week to england (had sort a homecare package for her parents)

drove across the border no problem but they drove through belfast and apparently you wouldnt know theres a lockdown there streets full

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Anyone working in healthcare is required to have a Hep C vaccine. I don't understand why the government haven't made Covid vaccine mandatory. Or at least explained why they can't make it mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The jaaaaab

The jaaaaab

The jaaaaab

Drinking game anyone?

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ N17.

Is it mandatory for every RTE show to play it at least once a week.

sligojoek wrote: »
    The jaaaaab

The jaaaaab

The jaaaaab

Drinking game anyone?

The Jab and N17.

Wouldn't be long for this world if I played that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Jesus Christ N17.

Once an hour, more like.

It was even featured on Nationwide the other evening

The Jab and N17.

Wouldn't be long for this world if I played that game.

That new N17 version is c**p give me the saw doctors anyday to that dirge just RTE try to promote depression IMHO

Once an hour, more like.

It was even featured on Nationwide the other evening

Got to justify having two orchestras I suppose.

RTE praising itself. All very incestuous or is onanism a better word.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Got to justify having two orchestras I suppose.

RTE praising itself. All very incestuous or is onanism a better word.

Point of order.

The Symphony Orchestra are not part of RTÉ anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Jim O'Callaghan on The Gathering. That's a quare demotion for him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The best cover versions of all times coming up.

Cutting edge stuff.

I bet N17 will win

Im cowardly afraid to mention to anyone round these parts that I dislike that version greatly, being friendly with one of the lads so I keep my mouth shut

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Dempo1 wrote: »

Cue pitchfork sharpening all over the country before Joe rounds up the mob. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Must have been a slack day up in the “Four Goldmines”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

Jesus Christ N17.

Jesus that new version is absolute muck. I'm no great fan of the original either but this craic of slowing a song down and adding some strings to make it "meaningful" is vomit inducing. Immediate change channel or radio off moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

RINO87 wrote: »
    Jesus that new version is absolute muck. I'm no great fan of the original either but this craic of slowing a song down and adding some strings to make it "meaningful" is vomit inducing. Immediate change channel or radio off moment.

Its brutal, totally missing the essence of the original song and what it's about

• Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Its brutal, totally missing the essence of the original song and what it's about

<——————- Q102 is that way, shaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Chicken and chips circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Chicken and chips circuit.

I was going to say. Doing things like the gathering is great for the public image...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

RINO87 wrote: »

Yeah, there's very little artistic merit in it. It's not breaking new ground. And N17 is a very poor choice of song for it. They could have tried 'Green and Red of Mayo' or 'To Win Just Once'.

Just waiting for the the day when someone who plays the original 'N17' gets questioned as to whether they're a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

KevRossi wrote: »
    Yeah, there's very little artistic merit in it. It's not breaking new ground. And N17 is a very poor choice of song for it. They could have tried 'Green and Red of Mayo' or 'To Win Just Once'.

Just waiting for the the day when someone who plays the original 'N17' gets questioned as to whether they're a racist.

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2021/0106/1188049-n17-revisited-tolu-makey-meets-sawdoctor-leo-moran/

Listen here for Leo Moran's take on it. I suppose he should know.

I expect your last sentence is meant as being funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

elperello wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/culture/2021/0106/1188049-n17-revisited-tolu-makey-meets-sawdoctor-leo-moran/

Listen here for Leo Moran's take on it. I suppose he should know.

I expect your last sentence is meant as being funny?

Leo Moran has his opinion on it. I have mine. Some covers are good, some are not. Some covers improve a song IMO (I prefer The Byrds version of Tambourine Man), some are not as good as the original (Tolu's version of N17 IMO).

She has a class voice, she'll go places no doubt and has now had a few doors open to her. Best of luck to her in her career.

Last sentence is sarcasm/humor. Is that allowed here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

KevRossi wrote: »
    Leo Moran has his opinion on it. I have mine. Some covers are good, some are not. Some covers improve a song IMO (I prefer The Byrds version of Tambourine Man), some are not as good as the original (Tolu's version of N17 IMO).

She has a class voice, she'll go places no doubt and has now had a few doors open to her. Best of luck to her in her career.

Last sentence is sarcasm/humor. Is that allowed here?

Of course you are entitled to your opinion.

I like some covers better than the original too.

I just thought it worthwhile posting the link because I think Leo Moran's point of view is interesting. After all he wrote the song.

Just checking on the last sentence to avoid the bother of posting seriously in response to something meant as humorous. No offence intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

That has nothing to do with it. Its all about ticking the boxes these days. Shes one of " The New Irish" and in the closeted world of RTE that counts for a whole lot more, than whether that version if the song is actually any good

Advertisement