Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That has nothing to do with it. Its all about ticking the boxes these days. Shes one of " The New Irish" and in the closeted world of RTE that counts for a whole lot more, than whether that version if the song is actually any good

I'm not sure it's just an RTE thing.

People seem to like it.

https://www.buzz.ie/music/tolu-makay-is-now-the-highest-charting-solo-female-ever-on-irish-homegrown-chart-415013

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

elperello wrote: »

100s of non music fans bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

elperello wrote: »
    Of course you are entitled to your opinion.

I like some covers better than the original too.

I just thought it worthwhile posting the link because I think Leo Moran's point of view is interesting. After all he wrote the song.

Just checking on the last sentence to avoid the bother of posting seriously in response to something meant as humorous. No offence intended.

What would you expect him to say in fairness? " No it's shyte" :D

He'll get the royalties presumably and it would be a bit churlish to criticise a young artist on her way up.
    Musical taste is subjective at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He'll get the royalties presumably and it would be a bit churlish to criticise a young artist on her way up.

Yes, and why people keep dying on the hill of defending their 'taste' in music or indeed comedy, defeats me.

Each to their own. Buy the record, don't buy the record...who gives a **** what anyone else thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭jackboy

In fairness it’s pleasant and easy listening and her voice is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Presumably because they liked it.

Ah no he wouldn't be that rude ( not on the radio anyway).

Leo is a long time on the road, he knows the music game.

He didn't have to go on Arena and be so nice about it.

You are right about music taste but that's not what I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Time to get this thread back on the rails, folks

Time to get this thread back on the rails, folks

Exactly. If anyone wants to express specific opinions on musical or social issues there are the forums for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

15 minutes about Britney's documentary; coming up now is a piece about how you can cut your hair at home is on the way. The essential topics :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Claire's hair has been perfect throughout lockdown.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Claire's hair has been perfect throughout lockdown.

Indeed so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

I've already deserted this sinking ship of a show, but I tuned in because Jonathan Healy is sitting in for Pat Kenny today.
    15 minutes about Britney's documentary; coming up now is a piece about how you can cut your hair at home is on the way. The essential topics :rolleyes:

This just reminded me of why I've given up...switching off.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

At least they have moved on to hard hitting topic of the love life of a fox.:eek:

Has there been any mention of little things like Leo or Simon's interaction with the Guards?

bossdrum wrote: »
    Has there been any mention of little things like Leo or Simon's interaction with the Guards?

To be fair it was the lead story on the show. But as is wont for CB there was a dearth of hard questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The interview with the lady whose mother is bedbound and can't get the vaccine yet, while a very worthy topic, was just straight out of the Liveline playbook.

There surely has to have been a better way to deal with that on a primetime news/current affairs show.

Regarding the hair, Claire again worrying that people may be "damaging" their hair with box dyes. Since not a blade of hair is ever out of place on her head she may well be preoccupied with such concerns. I found the Brehon Hotel hairdresser refreshing in that he encouraged people to experiment during lockdown. Bring on the wild unkempt side, my default is blind (helped by bleach since teens), but has taken on my colours and variations, even more so these times. Currently it is coloured like a Yorkshire Terrier and looks cool IMO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

two topics are kinda linked?

More beauty tips today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Becoming g more and more like ‘Woman’s Hour’ every day.

Definitely a big lurch towards a magazine programme, you can see that happening on both Drivetime and Today.

Losing listeners big time I would say.

Good God, a really story regarding a journalist being denied access to a Dept Health press conference. True to form it didn't get a mention on the promo for todays shows :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭cozar

very annoying "beauty experts" on now. bring back SOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Sometimes its hard to take Claire Byrne serious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The Claire Byrne hair salon coffee morning in full swing now

bocaman wrote: »
    Sometimes its hard to take Claire Byrne serious

“Sometimes”???

More like, all the time

This lad is a dose

I've been soooo worried about my nails. :rolleyes:

This woman wishes she could get back at the controls of an aircraft. :( It isn't even that expensive, no more than a good night out.

CB def has attempted to shift the show from its position as the premier daily hard news and current affairs show to introducing very much a “colourful” lifestyle magazine type of show akin to the Sunday morning Miriam meets show.

I’m wondering who are they hoping will tune in with this new direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

CB def has attempted to shift the show from its position as the premier daily hard news and current affairs show to introducing very much a “colourful” lifestyle magazine type of show akin to the Sunday morning Miriam meets show.

RTE's problem is that in its rush to gaining advertising revenue it forgers it's a public broadcaster. If this line continues there will be.no hard news show from 9am to 4.30pm bar the Joe whinge show. RTE has 3+ radio channels. Newstalk spends most of the day dealing with current affairs except for the Moncrief show from 2-4pm.

Along with the that they have highly paid staff doing magnezine programs where most radio stations pay buttons for for. Looks like another show you average worker will not be switching over to

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I wonder is it her, or the producer? Or would they be a package deal?

Advertisement