Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anyone want my nudes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

dulpit wrote: »
    I wonder is it her, or the producer? Or would they be a package deal?

I say it's presenter led. CB has a pattern of either heading current affairs shows that spiral out of control or of clumsy shows with ditsy features that feel like they were stolen out of last weeks Woman's Way. Few if any of the complaints about the show which we have levelled in this thread came up in SOR's time on the show, nor when people stood in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I say it's presenter led. CB has a pattern of either heading current affairs shows that spiral out of control or of clumsy shows with ditsy features that feel like they were stolen out of last weeks Woman's Way. Few if any of the complaints about the show which we have levelled in this thread came up in SOR's time on the show, nor when people stood in for him.
    I can't believe it's the case that it's presenter led. Presenters wouldn't usually have as much say as to be able to totally dictate the direction of the show. There are producers and controller of programmes people who do that.

I think it's more like that Claire was chosen over Sarah Mac for a reason. The reason being that they wanted to dumb down the show introduce more "lifestyle" features, and Claire was a better fit for that direction.

Being generous, maybe the thinking is that in these Covid times, people want less hard news? If that's the case, could we see the axing of these items when (if?!) normal times return, or is this a permanent shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

serfboard wrote: »
    Being generous, maybe the thinking is that in these Covid times, people want less hard news? If that's the case, could we see the axing of these items when (if?!) normal times return, or is this a permanent shift?

I doubt it unless a new presenter came in. Which I can't see happening unless the audience figures drop in a big way, which I suspect won't happen.. Listening to drivetime the odd time I get a chance, SMcI is far superior and a loss to the timeslot.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

serfboard wrote: »

I think it's more like that Claire was chosen over Sarah Mac for a reason. The reason being that they wanted to dumb down the show introduce more "lifestyle" features, and Claire was a better fit for that direction.

Sarah provided the answer to this in a newspaper article that appeared before the decision was made, when she said that she had always negotiated her own deals. AFAIK Claire is in the Noel Kelly stable so it was no contest when management was selecting the full time replacement for SOR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

The Claire Byrne hair salon coffee morning in full swing now

I presume you're talking about the guy and woman (and CB) giggling their way through a hair and nails thing.

Now having said yesterday that I've deserted this sh1tshow, I got into the car this morning and Radio 1 was on, so I caught a bit of this...and like some kind of relapsing CB junkie, I just had to listen once more. Now I know words like 'cringey' and 'embarrassing' are thrown around a lot on the radio forum, but this was an example of when these wouldn't do it justice....listen back if you dare.

Now of course a bit of craic can be had on the show, but if you ever needed an illustration of how far this show has plunged and where it's continuing to go, well that was it this morning imo. Drivetime is nowhere near this...yet...but is developing a similar 'vibe'.

Just let Tubridy and D'Arsey deal with this stuff. Unfortunately, I think CB is here to stay for as long as she wants.

To James McClean....

"So did you hear that abuse from the crowd last night?"

On the ball, Claire :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

Erin McClean spoke very well I thought. Managed to keep a level head.

RINO87 wrote: »
    Erin McClean spoke very well I thought. Managed to keep a level head.

Yeah but it was easy to when Claire asked no hard questions in 35 minutes. It was more pussy footing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Rollerskating...

Fascinating stuff.

• Advertisement

I hope Claire is listening to PBH at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Pippa Hackett about to end her political career, Banning Turf burning in a constituency that is almost 80% dependent on turf, not the brightest of moves.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

2007 "All Ireland" Report on fuel poverty - wonder what the stats are broken down between North (with SF in Government) and the much more supportive welfare regime in this State.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Pippa Hackett about to end her political career, Banning Turf burning in a constituency that is almost 80% dependent on turf, not the brightest of moves.

You will still be able to cut your own turf. Just you cannot sell it any longer. Turf is the worst vale fuel to but especially now as the sides are so long and curved a load is only 60% if what it was 15-20 years ago. Oil is still the cheapest fuel.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Not being the brightest is one of the requirements needed to join the Green Party.

You will still be able to cut your own turf. Just you cannot sell it any longer. Turf is the worst vale fuel to but especially now as the sides are so long and curved a load is only 60% if what it was 15-20 years ago. Oil is still the cheapest fuel.

That's the alleged idea but I have to respectively disagree re efficency of oil and Turf. I have no choice but to use turf & hardwood , I spend around €400 per year. My stove retain heat throughout the day. I also have oil as a back up and have compared both options. If I use oil, home takes at Least an hour to reach an acceptable temperature. If I switch it off, home cold within half an hour. On the cost front, if I where only to use oil, I'd be looking at €1500 minimum per year.

I'll grant you oil might be a little cleaner but I couldn't afford such a, luxury. I agree fossil fuel use not ideal and I'd be happier to explore more environmental options but only if a substantial grant aid is offered. Current grant schemes on the surface seem generous but I've done the research and they offer a fraction of the true cost.

Just a final thought, I don't own a bank of turf so have to pay yearly rate, those who own banks and there's thousands, have very little cost in supplying their homes with heating fuel annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Macy0161 wrote: »
    2007 "All Ireland" Report on fuel poverty - wonder what the stats are broken down between North (with SF in Government) and the much more supportive welfare regime in this State.

https://www.publichealth.ie/files/file/FuelPoverty_0.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Lenght of time he's been in rte, something of a mystery Boucher Hayes doesnt have his own show, has never had from my memory. Not his biggest fan exactly for a couple of reasons, but cant deny he is thoroughly professional and effective at his job. Maybe the stand in arrangement suits him and prefers the reporting side of things.

Lenght of time he's been in rte, something of a mystery Boucher Hayes doesnt have his own show, has never had from my memory. Not his biggest fan exactly for a couple of reasons, but cant deny he is thoroughly professional and effective at his job. Maybe the stand in arrangement suits him and prefers the reporting side of things.

Have to say, can't abide his patronising presenting style, has a know all persona about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

mgn wrote: »
    Not being the brightest is one of the requirements needed to join the Green Party.

A tad dismissive surely .
    Most Green Party members have done some thinking about the perilous state of the world and try to induce political systems to act in creative ways to ameliorate the worst effects of climate change etc.
    They don't do this to be popular and the last thing they could be accused of is rancid populism.
    There's at least 50 years of solid science and research to show that the planet is in a dire state wherever one looks -air, earth,water.
    Environmental rescue and reform is probably the defining issue of our times -the Healy Raes ( Jesus help us ) notwithstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Have to say, can't abide his patronising presenting style, has a know all persona about him.

I don't get this dislike of PBH , he's an excellent presenter and his knowledgeable questioning and calling out of BS on this mornings stand in on the Today Show has been a refreshing change.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lord Fauntleroy as it were

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Always reminds me of a real life Ross o Carroll Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That's the alleged idea but I have to respectively disagree re efficency of oil and Turf. I have no choice but to use turf & hardwood , I spend around €400 per year. My stove retain heat throughout the day. I also have oil as a back up and have compared both options. If I use oil, home takes at Least an hour to reach an acceptable temperature. If I switch it off, home cold within half an hour. On the cost front, if I where only to use oil, I'd be looking at €1500 minimum per year.

I'll grant you oil might be a little cleaner but I couldn't afford such a, luxury. I agree fossil fuel use not ideal and I'd be happier to explore more environmental options but only if a substantial grant aid is offered. Current grant schemes on the surface seem generous but I've done the research and they offer a fraction of the true cost.

Just a final thought, I don't own a bank of turf so have to pay yearly rate, those who own banks and there's thousands, have very little cost in supplying their homes with heating fuel annually.

Its €6 per yd to cut turf on your own bank here, probably more in some places. Id use maybe 80 yds per year so thats €480 and we have to save it ourselves at that, turn it, foot it, bring it home all on our own time, not complaining but its not really very little cost in both money and time for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Infoanon wrote: »
    I don't get this dislike of PBH , he's an excellent presenter and his knowledgeable questioning and calling out of BS on this mornings stand in on the Today Show has been a refreshing change.

totally agree a refreshing change on what's gone on since Since sarah mcinerny was replaced

Its €6 per yd to cut turf on your own bank here, probably more in some places. Id use maybe 80 yds per year so thats €480 and we have to save it ourselves at that, turn it, foot it, bring it home all on our own time, not complaining but its not really very little cost in both money and time for me

If you own it...who do you pay the €6 to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

2007 report, so old at this stage, and it concludes that even at that stage fuel poverty is declining and the real issue was inefficient homes rather than supports/ cost of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

At present heating oil fire is about 60c/L. 1500 euro would buy you 2500 litres. I use oil its is used in a Stanley range that is 30years old so not the most important efficient burner we use about 1k litres a year. House is 2k sq foot. Oil is on 4-5 hours per day during the winter. Yes we have a stove as well. I cut my own timber for that and buy smokeless buy 500kgs. If I was buying the timber it would cost 4-500 euro. The smokeless last one winter and half the next. Last Autumn the cost was 220 euro for 13 bags collected.

I presume from your costings that you are cutting you own turf. The point I made is for anyone buying turf it is poor value.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Infoanon wrote: »

hes insufferably smug

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    2007 report, so old at this stage, and it concludes that even at that stage fuel poverty is declining and the real issue was inefficient homes rather than supports/ cost of fuel.

Inefficient homes that occupants cannot afford to improve would factor into fuel poverty would it not?

Advertisement