Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Inefficient homes that occupants cannot afford to improve would factor into fuel poverty would it not?

Yes, mine was built in 1810

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Infoanon wrote: »
    I don't get this dislike of PBH , he's an excellent presenter and his knowledgeable questioning and calling out of BS on this mornings stand in on the Today Show has been a refreshing change.

I'll grant you that, less of an Xpose feel to the show today :)

At present heating oil fire is about 60c/L. 1500 euro would buy you 2500 litres. I use oil its is used in a Stanley range that is 30years old so not the most important efficient burner we use about 1k litres a year. House is 2k sq foot. Oil is on 4-5 hours per day during the winter. Yes we have a stove as well. I cut my own timber for that and buy smokeless buy 500kgs. If I was buying the timber it would cost 4-500 euro. The smokeless last one winter and half the next. Last Autumn the cost was 220 euro for 13 bags collected.

I presume from your costings that you are cutting you own turf. The point I made is for anyone buying turf it is poor value.

Yes, I agree but when you live in the slieve bloom mountains, in a cottage built in 1810, having oil on for 5 hrs a day just would not work, hence my approx cost on oil, its worth pointing out oil is low in price currently but this time 12 months ago, it was almost double what it is now.

Yes, my house, despite extensive renovation, improvements etc is a challenge to heat and after almost 20 years I've come to the opinion, a wood/turf stove maintained throughout the day is by far less costly and efficient than oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you own it...who do you pay the €6 to?

That is the cost of cutting. Very few people cut turf by hand any longer. The turf is literally dug out of the bog by a track machine then it is put into a hopper that makes it into long does that are cut into sections

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Pippa Hackett about to end her political career, Banning Turf burning in a constituency that is almost 80% dependent on turf, not the brightest of moves.

Just as well she was only up against Carthy!

• Advertisement

That is the cost of cutting. Very few people cut turf by hand any longer. The turf is literally dug out of the bog by a track machine then it is put into a hopper that makes it into long does that are cut into sections

I'd say anyone paying €6 a bag does not have access to supply, that's a crazy price. I like most neighbours pay for loads which factors in cost of cutting etc, loads typically a tractor trailer, roughly €150 to €200 depending on supply and quality. Most turf bog owners obviously would only have the cost of cutting/Harvesting but in reality their costs of yearly fuel supply would be a fraction of say Oil, Gas or Coal. I know in the midlands am I'm sure it's the same country wide, households primarily dependent on Turf to heat their homes and whilst environmentally not ideal it would be an enormous ask and cost to move away from this source.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I'd say anyone paying €6 a bag does not have access to supply, that's a crazy price. I like most neighbours pay for loads which factors in cost of cutting etc, loads typically a tractor trailer, roughly €150 to €200 depending on supply and quality. Most turf bog owners obviously would only have the cost of cutting/Harvesting but in reality their costs of yearly fuel supply would be a fraction of say Oil, Gas or Coal. I know in the midlands am I'm sure it's the same country wide, households primarily dependent on Turf to heat their homes and whilst environmentally not ideal it would be an enormous ask and cost to move away from this source.

The 6 euro was per yard to cut.

Slava Ukrainii

The 6 euro was per yard to cut.

Apologies, I misread, thought it was per bag

• Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Expect Flanagan and Fitzmaurice to come out from under their slates very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

If you own it...who do you pay the €6 to?

The guy with the turf machine, then it costs €1 per yd for the same guy to turn it with a machine
    thats if maybe you hadn't time to turn it yourself, the slane and cutting by hand is gone the way of the bow n arrow round here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The guy with the turf machine, then it costs €1 per yd for the same guy to turn it with a machine
    thats if maybe you hadn't time to turn it yourself, the slane and cutting by hand is gone the way of the bow n arrow round here

Yeh, get that now. Was wondering.

Was lucky enough in my life to have spent a few days on the bog as they hand cut.
    I'm sure it's a drudge on a bad day, but the few days I spent in glorious weather were memorable. A nicer place to do a day's work would be hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 top floor

Pippa Hackett about to end her political career, Banning Turf burning in a constituency that is almost 80% dependent on turf, not the brightest of moves.

Correct............... If being bright means looking after number 1 at all costs by being a populist.

Not so stupid if caring for the environment and leaving behind more than a wasteland for future generations counts for anything. Ireland is unlikely to run short of populist politicians soon. So there might just be a space for the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'll grant you that, less of an Xpose feel to the show today :)
    Today was a perfect laboratory experiment to see if the dumbed-down nature of the show was due to a change in direction by RTE, or was as a result of Claire's input.

Today's listening would seem to point towards the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Expect Flanagan and Fitzmaurice to come out from under their slates very soon.

Fitzmaurice a good bet for an appearance on the Saturday show next Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A huge scoop to get Dara Calleary on the show today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Have to say, can't abide his patronising presenting style, has a know all persona about him.

I used to remember liking him as a presenter, and maybe it is the environment he is working in, but he has gotten awful smug and self righteous over the past few years. Himself and Jonathan Healy should set up SMUG FM, Ger Gilroy could do the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Clue Girl

A huge scoop to get Dara Calleary on the show today.

He was on The Tonight Show with Ciara during the week.

Clue Girl wrote: »
    He was on The Tonight Show with Ciara during the week.

That show has a fraction of the audience.

Great Headline on the Journal "Ulster Says Go"

Never banked with them but it looks like it will be an orderly windown.

Can't see ulster offering any new fix rates let alone taking on any new business while the wind down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Why no obvious questions on why French/Spanish/German banks not moving in?

zell12 wrote: »

This is only the start, AIB and BOI have already flagged redundancies and branch closures. My guess banking in Ireland moving down THE KBC model, I've been with them for years and it works seamlessly, excellent App. I do feel for those who depend on branches and not tech savy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

zell12 wrote: »

market not big enough and profits not high enough

i have my joint and personal current accounts with ulster bank so god knows where ill move those KBC probably.

moving stuff to AIB isnt the answer either

so glad i paid of my morage a few years ago and only have a crredit card bill to payout now and ill be debt free (so of absolutely no interest to any bank !)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

How many times will Dara say the word ''Hurt''

I presume the rehabilitation tour has commenced

Just waiting for PM to talk about Ulster Bank and link it to Debenhams.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wierd that ppl are lining up to praise calleary and saying he should be made a minister in the future.

What has he done that warrants such confidence in him?

Must be an awful infliction for Sarah, being a pain in the ***** and sounding like a pain in the *****

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sarah Carey being allowed to totally avoid answering the question asked in favour of a defence of government.

• Advertisement

I saw Sarah's last attendance at the NPHET press conference and even though you couldn't see them, it felt like fellow journalists wanted her to shut up and just wanted it to end, she was also put in her box by Professor Nolan.

Advertisement