Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The way he is talking about his resignation you would think he had to clear out his office, and is now unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mgn wrote: »
    The way he is talking about his resignation you would think he had to clear out his office, and is now unemployed.

All he had to do was sit it out and as we have seen in the last few days, await an intensive managed rehabilitation. He has been everywhere the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

All he had to do was sit it out and as we have seen in the last few days, await an intensive managed rehabilitation. He has been everywhere the last few days.

Like Callinan and Stanley then.

mgn wrote: »
    You're right, but it must have been a bad blow on a personal level, particularly when you did it to yourself.

At least he had the cop on or dignity or whatever to just resign and return to the back benches.

And the golden goose keeps on laying while he is in rehab,

• Advertisement

You're right, but it must have been a bad blow on a personal level, particularly when you did it to yourself.

At least he had the cop on or dignity or whatever to just resign and return to the back benches.

My problem with these politicians is that when the resign the don't lose their jobs, the just go way and hide in the background for a while just like what Calleary is after doing.

What other job can you resign and and keep getting near a €100,000 a year plus expenses,

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

who?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

A huge scoop to get Dara Calleary on the show today.
    why was he in the studio, rembember RTE giving out about louise o'reilly going 30km to a virgin media tv studio. Hypocrites

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Stanley did not resign Brendi. No idea what the relevance of the ex Garda Commissioner is...is he coming back? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Now that PBH is benched again, Claire is back with every sob story and vested interest.

From 'Pat the home schooler' to Tom Parlon ( who doesn't always stick to the facts) and then the Wedding boutique owner !

Incoming Danny from IBEC.......

The morphing of Claires show to the Joe Duffy show continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I was listening to Tom Parlon, not at all sure what construction industry he represents. I've at least 6 small construction companies local to me, not a single one closed, my heart went out to the poor member who managed to buy 20 new vans last year. Construction is not closed, hasn't been closed and a law onto itself. Pity Claire didn't ask Tom about Dermot Desmonds little build on Shrewsbury Road which continues with gusto.

I suppose we should be thankful Adrian Cummins from the restaurant association wasn't on crying & whinging.

Do these vested interests seriously expect Government to double the supports on offer, it's ludicrous

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,422 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They got the wrong spokesperson for the auctioneers on here. She's just mumbling random words. I don't think she completed one sentence during the whole interview.

Quite fascinating how the pandemic has or has not agfec the property market. Seems every week one site reports an increase in prices, followed by another saying a decrease, of course the ones reporting increases are in the business of selling. I'm just amazed how with all the restrictions, lockdowns any property is bought or sold.

They got the wrong spokesperson for the auctioneers on here. She's just mumbling random words. I don't think she completed one sentence during the whole interview.

Full of S**** part of the usual shower predicting price increases, boom etc. Spare a thought for the average person on €70k a year, what planet is she on.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

Tom Parlon; "Construction is fully open in the rest of the world, the UK, Europe, America..."

Claire "There's half a million people dead in America from Covid!!!"

That's where we are at at this stage.

Hysterical nonsense from our national broadcaster as usual.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I was listening to Tom Parlon, not at all sure what construction industry he represents. I've at least 6 small construction companies local to me, not a single one closed, my heart went out to the poor member who managed to buy 20 new vans last year. Construction is not closed, hasn't been closed and a law onto itself. Pity Claire didn't ask Tom about Dermot Desmonds little build on Shrewsbury Road which continues with gusto.

I suppose we should be thankful Adrian Cummins from the restaurant association wasn't on crying & whinging.

Do these vested interests seriously expect Government to double the supports on offer, it's ludicrous

You think building of homes should continue to be effectively outlawed in Ireland and nowhere else in the world?

You think that is "ludicrous" or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Barry Lenehan demoted to reporting on dog sh1te on the footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I suppose we should be thankful Adrian Cummins from the restaurant association wasn't on crying & whingings

Of all days to not be there cutting onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

sligojoek wrote: »
    Barry Lenehan demoted to reporting on dog sh1te on the footpaths.

Will no doubt be followed by councillors looking for dog DNA to be tested.

You think building of homes should continue to be effectively outlawed in Ireland and nowhere else in the world?

You think that is "ludicrous" or what?

Read my post, I've no opinion on whether construction should be open or closed but do have an opinion if its one rule for us and one rule for them, there's 1000"s of construction sites open despite rules saying they should be shut. My ludicrous comment is to do with vested interest groups looking for government to double current financial supports and it is a ludicrous suggestion.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Will no doubt be followed by councillors looking for dog DNA to be tested.

Surely it's not a quite news day, is it?????

God this is a Turd of a show

Here we go, vacinne roll out delayed in roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A fire in a GP surgery in Ballygar. Hurry up lads; this is holding up the weekly session with the fertility witchdoctors :rolleyes:

A fire in a GP surgery in Ballygar. Hurry up lads; this is holding up the weekly session with the fertility witchdoctors :rolleyes:

Claire seemed dissapointed she couldn't report vacinne roll out delays

Read my post, I've no opinion on whether construction should be open or closed but do have an opinion if its one rule for us and one rule for them, there's 1000"s of construction sites open despite rules saying they should be shut. My ludicrous comment is to do with vested interest groups looking for government to double current financial supports and it is a ludicrous suggestion.

The focus is always on the juicy non-compliance stories rather then actually focusing on the substance and proportionality of the restrictions themselves.

Evidenced by the illegal barber text which she seized upon.

Like why when told that Ireland is the only country in the world to restrict construction does Claire jump in with a totally unrelated point about deaths in the US?

Why this need to interrogate lobbyists who are just trying to get their industries functioning again when they won't even ask the simplest of questions about construction restrictions to politicians and public health "advisors"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Quite fascinating how the pandemic has or has not agfec the property market. Seems every week one site reports an increase in prices, followed by another saying a decrease, of course the ones reporting increases are in the business of selling. I'm just amazed how with all the restrictions, lockdowns any property is bought or sold.

its affected it significantly by restricting new build supply hence prices going up.

the only site near me has been closed since before christmas it would add 50 badly needed houses to the local market

The focus is always on the juicy non-compliance stories rather then actually focusing on the substance and proportionality of the restrictions themselves.

Evidenced by the illegal barber text which she seized upon.

Like why when told that Ireland is the only country in the world to restrict construction does Claire jump in with a totally unrelated point about deaths in the US?

Why this need to interrogate lobbyists who are just trying to get their industries functioning again when they won't even ask the simplest of questions about construction restrictions to politicians and public health "advisors"?

Fair points but a year into this, the sames vested interests, lobby groups saying the same thing and asking for more and more, I guess it just becomes tiresome. Its my own experience that these vested interests care little about employee's and its all about their members, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm no fan of the Government's over all handling of the crisis but to be fair, financial supports are there and in the main have been reasonable. The supports employees get are wholely financed by government, certainly not lobby groups. Tom Parlon saying his members kept employees on is not what I've heard from many I know in the industry, most of whom are on PUP of on wage subsidy schemes, both of which costs employers nothing.

its affected it significantly by restricting new build supply hence prices going up.

the only site near me has been closed since before christmas it would add 50 badly needed houses to the local market

Building of approx 17,000 homes is on pause at the moment.

• Advertisement

Fair points but a year into this, the sames vested interests, lobby groups saying the same thing and asking for more and more, I guess it just becomes tiresome. Its my own experience that these vested interests care little about employee's and its all about their members, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm no fan of the Government's over all handling of the crisis but to be fair, financial supports are there and in the main have been reasonable. The supports employees get are wholely financed by government, certainly not lobby groups. Tom Parlon saying his members kept employees on is not what I've heard from many I know in the industry, most of whom are on PUP of on wage subsidy schemes, both of which costs employers nothing.

Fair enough.

I do also think the "we are great keeping people employed" line is tiresome but the reality is the industry is needlessly being hammered and the effects are real.

Yep, the taxpayer will be paying for the PUP for years to come, not the construction industry.

But that's all the more reason to get the 60k or so construction workers off the PUP and back to work ASAP.

Advertisement