Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

err re: passports, they are processing renewals if you have the biometric passport , My OH got hers done in 3 days a couple of weeks ago.

if you need to send paperwork with it it seems to be a whole different ball game.

Good to know, though the information on the passport website is contradictory.
    Passport Online

The Passport Service has paused operations in line with the move to Level 5 of the Government's National Framework on Living with COVID-19 from 24 December 2020.

Passport Online is open to all applicants, including children, renewing their passports and those applying for their first passport who are resident in Ireland, UK, EU, EEA and Switzerland. These applications will be processed when the Passport Services resumes operations at Level 4.

To apply via Passport Online, please click here.
    Why say they aren't processing some renewals when they are?

Infoanon wrote: »
    The only reason Claire kept returning to the topic was to take cheap shots at the workers with her "are they on the p u p scheme " .

Would never happened in the days of PK or SOR.

Afaik you are correct that they have been redeployed.
    If you were listening to Pat Kenny today, you might have heard him bringing up civil servants doing little-to-no work, he raised this issue at least twice in the programme.

Claire Byrne was a lot less forthright. She was only asking whether the workers have been redeployed, so as to get to the bottom of why passport processing has been all-but halted.
    I think it's a fair question, nobody is having a go — civil servants don't get the PUP, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Here's a link to a newspaper story, and the subject of a few threads elsewhere on this site, with a video of a vicious assault, the perpetrator of which has just been jailed for his crime.

For the purpose of this thread I will only say: note the headgear.

I can't make out what is says.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

10 o'clock,turn on CB. First guest, P.Donoghue. turns back to lyric

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

God bless Pascal, you've got to admire his positivity. Just concerned neither he or Norma Foley unaware of what's happening in schools and childcare settings. I live near Tullamore, 4 Schools reporting out breaks and a large creche.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Infoanon

If you were listening to Pat Kenny today, you might have heard him bringing up civil servants doing little-to-no work, he raised this issue at least twice in the programme.

Claire Byrne was a lot less forthright. She was only asking whether the workers have been redeployed, so as to get to the bottom of why passport processing has been all-but halted.
    I think it's a fair question, nobody is having a go — civil servants don't get the PUP, anyway.
    Claire repeatedly asked where they on the pup scheme.

Mark Mc Sharry was running with this last July when civil servants were not answering their phones - as if it was different from pre covid. ....

Claire out with the breaking bowl for every vested interest this morning.....Pascal able to play Claire at her own game.

Dempo1 - schools are safe has been the motto despite evidence to the contrary

The EU are all over the place on this Vacinne debacle. If the EU go down this export ban, I sense a S*** Storm coming,

I'm somewhat confused, we're in Brexit does it say the the UK is obligated to export anything, let alone Vacinnes to the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Adjusting business working hours would completely defeat the purpose.

Not sure why it would defeat the purpose, changing the clocks were never about businesses, it was about conserving energy by maximise day light. Some business start at 6/7/8/9 in the morning regardless of where the sun is in the sky. For those that are customers facing, I'm not suggesting they have to change but even 30 minutes would help offset standard time in the winter months.
    plodder wrote: »
    There are somewhat objective (as in measureable) considerations like road safety, that might lean towards Winter time, eg children walking/cycling to school.

And then people's own preference. "Morning" people might prefer Winter time and evening types might prefer Summer time. But, that is totally subjective at the end of the day imo.

In a previous discussion I noticed a number of people who want this change to happen because they want more time for sporting activity in the evenings. But, if we end up with Winter time, they will actually have less. So, be careful what you wish for....

Road safety is a good measure for consideration but as I mentioned many people start work before sun rise anyways and well I remember many dark evenings driving home in the winter months so it kinda depends on your working hours and distance of travel. Children walking or cycling to school is definitely a concern worth considering, while an adjustment to school hours may help to offset that, I agree it would not be an easy task and would require wider consideration of the impact.

Changing the clocks definitely has an impact of people particularly in the days immediately after a change one way or the other which is why this topic arose in the first place. In reality, i think the government are likely to give the greatest consideration to impact on the northern border and if we really want the island to have two different time zones for 5-7 months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

30 minute of Pascal in an echo chamber, 20 minutes of Hazel and Claire repeating themselves and a chat to Frizz and Asbestos the Graffiti Street Artists.

As they used to say on Bull Island. RTÉ, supporting the farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i love the idea building sites are closed, the ones near opened at the start of march - no one stopped them - they are pouring foundations getting concrete and blocks delivered, it needs to reopen

wtf was hazell chu on about you cant be independent and chair of the greens

i love the idea building sites are closed, the ones near opened at the start of march - no one stopped them - they are pouring foundations getting concrete and blocks delivered, it needs to reopen

wtf was hazell chu on about you cant be independent and chair of the greens

Couldn't agree more, not a single site closed in my nearest Midlands town, infact, on getting diesel yesterday, the Q out the door for Deli was extraordinary, all construction workers , incidentally in a town that featured just this week with high covid numbers, can anyone guess????

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, not a single site closed in my nearest Midlands town, infact, on getting diesel yesterday, the Q out the door for Deli was extraordinary, all construction workers , incidentally in a town that featured just this week with high covid numbers, can anyone guess????

That's "offaly" bad to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Hazel Chu is only interested in one thing and that's Hazel Chu.

Imagine having the chutzpah to lunch your 'independent' run for the Seanad on what should have been the biggest day in Govt so far for the Greens with the launch of the Climate bill. Ryan, the eejit, had to spend a part of every interview he did yesterday on the bill explaining about how he wasn't going to vote in the election for the chairwoman of his party and how the Greens would meet to discuss what is to be done.
    What a narcissistic thing to do on the day in question.

And then the 'interview' with Claire this morning. She basically said she wouldn't resign from the Greens over this issue but implied there are other issues which she'd be prepared to jump ship on! She makes Simon Donnelly look like a loyalist!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I don't think Claire was very impressed when Hazel kept saying she was going to talk to the media later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Seamus Brennan RIP is probably looking down on this mess and chuckling to himself.

He famously said to to the GP negotiators in 2007 ‘You’re playing senior hurling now, lads. But you’re playing against fellows with All-Ireland medals.’

The Greens now appear to be tripping each other up coming out the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hazel Chu's decision shows how ineffective the leadership of the greens is. How can the chair of a party run as an independent because technically they didn't vote that people couldn't run, they voted that the greens weren't nominating. If this was any other party she'd be out on her ass now, but Ryan doesn't seem to have the ability or power to do so.

I strongly suspect that a cohort of the party (Catherine Martin, Neasa Hourigan, etc) would be very happy with a split, I could see it happening shortly before an election, leaving the mainstream greens dead in the water (they're likely screwed anyway), and hoping that a new party could attract some voters. Could see the likes of Lorna Bogue in Cork and Saoirse McHugh in Achill joining such a party.

As it stands, the greens are a joke shop of a party since they joined government..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,476 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

dulpit wrote: »
    Hazel Chu's decision shows how ineffective the leadership of the greens is. How can the chair of a party run as an independent because technically they didn't vote that people couldn't run, they voted that the greens weren't nominating. If this was any other party she'd be out on her ass now, but Ryan doesn't seem to have the ability or power to do so.

I strongly suspect that a cohort of the party (Catherine Martin, Neasa Hourigan, etc) would be very happy with a split, I could see it happening shortly before an election, leaving the mainstream greens dead in the water (they're likely screwed anyway), and hoping that a new party could attract some voters. Could see the likes of Lorna Bogue in Cork and Saoirse McHugh in Achill joining such a party.

As it stands, the greens are a joke shop of a party since they joined government..

Any party who would recruit McHugh would definitely be challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Any party who would recruit McHugh would definitely be challenged.

Why do you say that?

There's an expert on the show today dealing with recycling. Good to see that they are paying heed; PHB dealt with this topic a few weeks back when he stood in.

• Advertisement

I'd be amazed if 80% will be vaccinated by the end of June.

Paul Reid was on with Brendan O Connor in recent weeks, talking about 2 million vaccinations per month in the autumn.

Fantasy stuff.

Paul Reid was on with Brendan O Connor in recent weeks, talking about 2 million vaccinations per month in the autumn.

Fantasy stuff.

Paul Reid, Where do I start, an absolute spoofer, full of statistical S****, completely out of his depth and along with Stephen Donnelly, its just beggars belief both have lasted this long albeit no doubting it would cost a fortune to be rid of Reid. I've personally kept positive during the pandemic but there really should be an advanced health warning before either are interviewed, my mood swings the minute either open their mouths.

Ah, the Leaky Leo story not going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Biffo causing trouble looking for a commitment that Martin, Donnelly or Reid can't guarantee as it is outside their control.

It's totally supply dependent regarding the vaccine regarding the percentage of population (both up to now and in the future). Notwithstanding localised issues, the overall picture is totally down to supply - there's no stock sat around being unused.

Interesting Cowan saying anything he or anyone says shouldn't prejudice the outcome of the Leaky investigation, perhaps he might mention that to Leo who has a dreadful dose of verbal Diarrhoea when it comes to an ongoing investigation involving him

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Biffo causing trouble looking for a commitment that Martin, Donnelly or Reid can't guarantee as it is outside their control.

It's totally supply dependent regarding the vaccine regarding the percentage of population (both up to now and in the future). Notwithstanding localised issues, the overall picture is totally down to supply - there's no stock sat around being unused.

Claire completely ignored the fact that cowans own constituency has the highest incident rates in the country and in Tullamore 4 Schools and a large creche have covid outbreaks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,476 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Why do you say that?

Take a few minutes to look at her record and get back to me.

Then take a look at her Twitter feed.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭HBC08

I lol at bit every time Biffo Beag is on the radio or telly.

• Advertisement

Norma Foley coming up later. Government Ministers must be anxiously gripping their desks.

Advertisement