Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

Ah here, Scooby Doo & Bosco.

I'm not listening, but will catch those interviews later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Ski Sunday "everybody is shouting at the radio" Yes Claire, but not for the reason that you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sickofcovid

Mav11 wrote: »
    Have also taken to listening to Neill Prendeville on Corks Red FM, mostly as a podcast. Full of nutters characters but a very entertaining current affairs show.

(PS. Have to declare Cork roots :D:D:D)

How anyone can listen to that self opinionated knob it beats me. Worked in Cork during the Noraphen / Aer Lingus gate affair and this knob was like a god to some and the devil to others up in Cork. There was talk at the time he was about to land a major radio/TV in role in RTE until he played with his knob. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Infoanon wrote: »
    Two issues with that - and CB has forgotten to mention - 1) An EU commissioner acts for the EU not for the interests of his home country and 2) Phil was actively seeking other roles - WTO - with government support

Listening to Claire interviewing Josephia Madigan - Claire was feeding answers when Josephia was getting stuck eg Sna supports

I am almost certain that she mentioned that he went for that role but I had switched over to PK for a little bit so it culd have been him.

The point was made that the negotiation was for the EU but is also beneficial for Ireland as we are such an open economy.

I thought that Claire did well in that segment.

The programme is becoming more 'light' I think which is probably an RTE and not a Claire Byrne decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The show was always a mix of hard news and lighter lifestyle stuff, going back to Pat Kennys earliest days. Remember Pat doing his regular food tasting segments which i always thought were a bit out there for radio. And both Pat and Sean had regular live music slots which i always enjoyed but might not be part of the new set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

How anyone can listen to that self opinionated knob it beats me. Worked in Cork during the Noraphen / Aer Lingus gate affair and this knob was like a god to some and the devil to others up in Cork. There was talk at the time he was about to land a major radio/TV in role in RTE until he played with his knob. :D

Part of its charm:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Mav11 wrote: »
    FFS Eastenders, on a current affairs show?
    Ah here, Scooby Doo & Bosco.

And the old Glenroe , homework, back to school in the morning chestnut.

Better suited to Darcy or Tubbs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I did enjoy John Downing subtle dig at his stable mate Collette Browne and her notion that the Phil Hogan saga would unify the government ! (Wednesday show were Colette referenced Norma Foleys excellent performance on the TV the previous night.....).

Claire didn't pick up on this.

Looking at the posts a lot seem to have switched over to PK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

have producer or editor changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I wonder why they changed the theme tune back to the old Pat Kenny version? Feels quite dated now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

dulpit wrote: »
    I wonder why they changed the theme tune back to the old Pat Kenny version? Feels quite dated now...
    Yeah - sounds like something someone recorded in the bedroom on a tiny keyboard in the 1980s.

3 interviews in and easy rides with little or no questioning from Claire.
    Ludicrous comments from Cribbens (VFI) and then Liam next using Hyperbole without any questioning from Claire.

Contributors need to be listened to and questioned on what they are saying.

Claires throw away comment about Covid weakening is bordering on dangerous imho

4th interview is about the TWSS - Claire queries where will the Govt get the money - a question that should have been put to Cribbens when he had his begging bowl out earlier....

serfboard wrote: »
    Yeah - sounds like something someone recorded in the bedroom on a tiny keyboard in the 1980s.

Or in a shed?

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Who is this smoker on?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bring back Sarah this is so beige and bland since Claire took over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭touts

Have to agree. This is dirge. 90% puff pieces and very little current affairs. Not even 11am and she is already onto Cinema and TV for the weekend.

Liam now being interviewed by PK - night and day - PK listening and then questioning - Liam being a lot more circumspect now in his language.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

touts wrote: »
    Have to agree. This is dirge. 90% puff pieces and very little current affairs. Not even 11am and she is already onto Cinema and TV for the weekend.

I was about to say that.

When I heard her launching into the culture highlights segment I did a double take - this is usually placed at the arse end of the show around 11-45 am so I thought I’d lost an hour somewhere until I checked my watch

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Infoanon wrote: »
    3 interviews in and easy rides with little or no questioning from Claire.
    Ludicrous comments from Cribbens (VFI) and then Liam next using Hyperbole without any questioning from Claire.

Contributors need to be listened to and questioned on what they are saying.

Claires throw away comment about Covid weakening is bordering on dangerous imho

4th interview is about the TWSS - Claire queries where will the Govt get the money - a question that should have been put to Cribbens when he had his begging bowl out earlier....

Liam who?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Will Yam wrote: »
    Liam who?
    Liam typo.

In fact, Liam Herrick, Executive Director of the Irish Council for Civil Liberties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Been listening most of the week as other tasks allowed but yea, CB is an awful replacement as predicted. Not a big fan of Sarah either but this is very poor.

Had to laugh reading the comments about her being a pro and smooth. If by that you mean not grabbing hold of the interviews and challenging the guests sure - that's worth not having the occasional production misstep :rolleyes:

CB should stick to light entertainment. She's useless at current affairs (and I don't rate her on TV either) at a time when current affairs and the decision-makers absolutely need to be held to account on the airwaves.

Liam typo.

In fact, Liam Herrick, Executive Director of the Irish Council for Civil Liberties.

Thanks.

I presume he will be delivering of himself on measures to prevent Covid spreading house parties.

I’d far prefer to get Covid than be stopped having 100 people in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I was about to say that.

When I heard her launching into the culture highlights segment I did a double take - this is usually placed at the arse end of the show around 11-45 am so I thought I’d lost an hour somewhere until I checked my watch

The Gathering always kicks in at about 11.30 and runs to the end of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Bring back Sarah this is so beige and bland since Claire took over

The irishtimes had an article today about this radio show, by mick heaney.
    Saying how good it is, and the presenter put the taoiseach through the wringer.

Seems the media thinks she's doing a great job!!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/what-a-way-to-start-claire-byrne-puts-miche%C3%A1l-martin-through-the-wringer-1.4340175

This is the IT article.

I like Mick Heaney's radio column, he is usually a calm and thoughtful contributor.

I see McInerney gets the drive time gig.

But with Cormac O hEadhra. God almighty, we have Covid, and now have him inflicted on us. What could be worse?

The only good news here is for McInerney. O hEadhra pontificates so much that by the time he is finished interviewing himself, there won’t be time for any further questions.

Liam typo.

That chancer is one step from Jim Corr and Gemma O'Doherty. He sees government conspiracies everywhere. But he slaps a serious sounding name on his organisation and no one wants to challenge him. I'd love to see Sarah Mc tear him a new one on drivetime some time soon.

That chancer is one step from Jim Corr and Gemma O'Doherty. He sees government conspiracies everywhere. But he slaps a serious sounding name on his organisation and no one wants to challenge him. I'd love to see Sarah Mc tear him a new one on drivetime some time soon.

Some chance RTÉ are going to grill a civil liberties groupie in any hard way.

If you look into this organisation a little more thoroughly you might revise your opinion.

The ICCL was founded in 1976 so there is no question of Liam Herrick slapping a serious sounding name on anything.

Over the years they have played an important role in civil society in Ireland often in difficult and dangerous times.

That's not to say that they should not be held up to scrutiny and I'm sure they expect that from serious journalists like S Mc I and C B.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    If you look into this organisation a little more thoroughly you might revise your opinion.

The ICCL was founded in 1976 so there is no question of Liam Herrick slapping a serious sounding name on anything.

Over the years they have played an important role in civil society in Ireland often in difficult and dangerous times.

That's not to say that they should not be held up to scrutiny and I'm sure they expect that from serious journalists like S Mc I and C B.

Well maybe in the past they had a positive impact but recently all they seem to do is fight for Criminal's rights rather than Civil Liberties so I'm not sure why they even still exist other than to lobby for criminals.

Advertisement