Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Revolutionary is probably not a word anyone would associate with Claire Byrne, and I doubt she does, herself.

Where is anyone getting the impression that she calls her broadcasting production revolutionary?

Perhaps embarrassing best describes her broadcasting production

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Owner occupier seems to be a sensible approach but how do individual landlords or those who want to rent temporarily get around this, Government seem intent on not upsetting the cuckoo funds. Just seems incredible that investment funds can't be just permitted to finance development only, surely there's enough profit in that albeit Tom parland from the CFI would have us believe developers build at cost, god bless them

Listening (albeit difficult at the best of times) to Heather Humphries earlier I thought if the cyber criminals we're listening, they'd be shaking in their boots and anticipating a bitcoin transfer shortly.

Likeable and sensible that Martin chap in Portugal

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148867bee4331b47658d44a38d030aa561cf4a316b395&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Advertisement

Very angry guests. Not much else.

Oh, they're" on different planets too."

Fair enough.

Very angry guests. Not much else.

Oh, they're" on different planets too."

Fair enough.

RBB doesn't seem to get, shouting and ranting does nothing for his cause, just comes across as unhinged at times

• Registered Users Posts: 18,763 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Boyd-Barrett loves these topics he can make generalised statements and grandiose plans. Which he never will have to even try to implement.

It is great RBB is a 'man of the people' etc. But everytime RBB said 'all' in his monologue I found it jarring. As RBB really rounds the vowel it is 'Awholl' not simply all. Confuses my mind. I never get used to a left leaning 'man of the people' with accentuated rounded vowels. It is a bit of an oxymoron.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

HSE still using windows 7 a lot apparently - thought the woman was going to say windows 95 for a brief moment. At least I was not the only one who was reluctant to change. But even the likes of me knew that it was not safe to continue using Windows 7.

Let's call a spade a spade, the dogs on the street saw this cyber attack coming, numerous reports done about how antiquated HSE IT systems were and mostly ignored. You'd have to wonder did HSE senior management not ask the question at the start of this pandemic, what could possibly go wrong apart from managing large volumes of admissions. It's just beggar's belief and now patient data being released on line according to the FT, of course every organisation at Risk but mother of God most have some preparation done, the HSE seems absolutely crippled by this and I don't think we know the half of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭touts

Boyd-Barrett loves these topics he can make generalised statements and grandiose plans. Which he never will have to even try to implement.

It is great RBB is a 'man of the people' etc. But everytime RBB said 'all' in his monologue I found it jarring. As RBB really rounds the vowel it is 'Awholl' not simply all. Confuses my mind. I never get used to a left leaning 'man of the people' with accentuated rounded vowels. It is a bit of an oxymoron.

I'd love to see Rich Boy Barrett in government along with Murphy, Smith, the Shinners etc. I'd say within a month their heads would explode when they actually had to do something for the first time in their lives rather than bitch and moan about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭touts

HSE still using windows 7 a lot apparently - thought the woman was going to say windows 95 for a brief moment. At least I was not the only one who was reluctant to change. But even the likes of me knew that it was not safe to continue using Windows 7.

The problem is if you buy a piece of scanning equipment etc for €1m plus and then spend nearly that again putting the infrastructure into the room(s) needed to support that scanner then it is likely you will plan to use that over 10 or more years. The designers of the machines don't upgrade old machines to Windows 10 so the HSE have to keep Windows 7 going.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Let's call a spade a spade, the dogs on the street saw this cyber attack coming, numerous reports done about how antiquated HSE IT systems were and mostly ignored. You'd have to wonder did HSE senior management not ask the question at the start of this pandemic, what could possibly go wrong apart from managing large volumes of admissions. It's just beggar's belief and now patient data being released on line according to the FT, of course every organisation at Risk but mother of God most have some preparation done, the HSE seems absolutely crippled by this and I don't think we know the half of it.

It probably comes down to saving money as usual penny pinching and IT upgrading was way down the ladder of priorities. If the HSE did upgrade their IT systems no doubt some in the public would have viewed it as a waste of money as there should have been other priorities etc

It is not the end of the world I suppose as the Dr is on said they are simply going back to a paper based system. Healthcare workers are adaptable and resourceful thankfully. Plus when you think of it there were paper based systems long before the computer was even invented and the world stayed turning.

With regard to the data protection stuff. Personally it would not really bother me. But at the same time I can understand why many will be edgy to say the least.

A secret plan and he's reporting on it, I understood re purposing a plant for vacinne manufacturing is seriously complex and prohibitively expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭CH3OH

A secret plan and he's reporting on it, I understood re purposing a plant for vacinne manufacturing is seriously complex and prohibitively expensive?

Yer man hasn't a clue

The plant in Grangecastle already makes vaccines

If he says Grangegorman again!

touts wrote: »
    The problem is if you buy a piece of scanning equipment etc for €1m plus and then spend nearly that again putting the infrastructure into the room(s) needed to support that scanner then it is likely you will plan to use that over 10 or more years. The designers of the machines don't upgrade old machines to Windows 10 so the HSE have to keep Windows 7 going.

My brother works in a company that deals with Medical IT in the NHS. He said his company is aware of the Irish situation as an example/warning. But it is not spoken about openly.

The timing was just perfect for the gangsters. I'm wondering exactly how they accessed the system, was it phishing or was it penetration through a system weakness.

It probably comes down to saving money as usual penny pinching and IT upgrading was way down the ladder of priorities. If the HSE did upgrade their IT systems no doubt some in the public would have viewed it as a waste of money as there should have been other priorities etc

It is not the end of the world I suppose as the Dr is on said they are simply going back to a paper based system. Healthcare workers are adaptable and resourceful thankfully. Plus when you think of it there were paper based systems long before the computer was even invented and the world stayed turning.

With regard to the data protection stuff. Personally it would not really bother me. But at the same time I can understand why many will be edgy to say the least.

I do agree but would just say its astonishing how or why such an attack would in essence cripple the entire functionality of the HSE, god forbid at this attack affected vacinne roll out, doesn't even bare thinking about really.

The timing was just perfect for the gangsters. I'm wondering exactly how they accessed the system, was it phishing or was it penetration through a system weakness.

Will we ever find out I wonder? I doubt it very much

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

touts wrote: »
    I'd love to see Rich Boy Barrett in government along with Murphy, Smith, the Shinners etc. I'd say within a month their heads would explode when they actually had to do something for the first time in their lives rather than bitch and moan about everything.

i was actually disappointed SF didnt go into gov last time, i would like to see how they coped

• Advertisement

I do agree but would just say its astonishing how or why such an attack would in essence cripple the entire functionality of the HSE, god forbid at this attack affected vacinne roll out, doesn't even bare thinking about really.

Yeah as it is I hope there is no loss of life as result of that IT attack delayed ops etc.
    I suppose Ireland is very lucky that a large proportion has achieved the vaccine.
    As you say it could have been a real disaster.

Nobody has mentioned the chances of these hackers getting caught? I assume they cover their tracks in whatever country they are in.

i was actually disappointed SF didnt go into gov last time, i would like to see how they coped

If they ever do get into government in coalition etc. They should be given the Health and Housing portfolios, and see how they fare and if they make many excuses.

Anyone else think the summer lost? I think it is, reopening left too late, I just can't see restaurants, B&B"s, Hotels etc seeing any major increases in business this year.

If they ever do get into government in coalition etc. They should be given the Health and Housing portfolios, and see how they fare and if they make many excuses.

Don't you feel excuses is actually all we've been hearing for decade's now when it comes to housing and health??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,302 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I honestly don't think they could do any worse than FFG have done for decades now. And I have never voted SF (FG for 20 years, IND/SD now).

This is a press release from the INMO in November 2019 (2 months before Covid). They are litterally begging for help. Worth a read.

https://inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13549
    “We take no pleasure in having to record these figures for a decade and a half. We know the problem, but we also know the solutions: extra beds in hospitals, safe staffing levels, and more step-down and community care outside of the hospital.

“No other developed country faces anything close to this trolley problem. It can be solved, but a strong political agenda to drive change is needed.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Don't you feel excuses is actually all we've been hearing for decade's now when it comes to housing and health??

Yeah I agree, I suppose it would be refreshing to hear new excuses with a different spin. Housing and Health seem like issues that will never be solved in my lifetime.

Just to mention, I'm 53, high risk, booked vacinne on HSE on 10th May has had not heard from GP, four days later GP Called and getting vacinne on Friday, then yesterday got a text from HSE offering vacinne this Friday also :), so will be going to GP, Pfizer dose one. So credit were it's due to HSE Less than 2 weeks, I should say I've contacted HSE to cancel to insure my appointment not wasted :)

Yeah I agree, I suppose it would be refreshing to hear new excuses with a different spin. Housing and Health seem like issues that will never be solved in my lifetime.

LOL :), I'd just say maybe, just maybe SF in government might be an eye opener for them and US, and who knows, you know what they say about a change is as good as a rest. Perhaps SF might actually mature with some governmental experience.

Anyone else think the summer lost? I think it is, reopening left too late, I just can't see restaurants, B&B"s, Hotels etc seeing any major increases in business this year.

Unless we have an Indian summer in August/September I fear you could be right.

Although on the other hand a percentage of people will be just anxious to get out no matter what the weather.

• Advertisement

Jesus that's shocking, I recall working in Swansea when they were in the premiership, I managed a hotel right beside train station. Some scary eye opening moments when certain teams came to town, particularly Cardiff, they hate each other, just extraordinary.

Advertisement