Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Yeah I agree, I suppose it would be refreshing to hear new excuses with a different spin. Housing and Health seem like issues that will never be solved in my lifetime.

Housing can never be solved as with free movement of people the demand cant ever be predicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dempo1 wrote: »
    LOL :), I'd just say maybe, just maybe SF in government might be an eye opener for them and US, and who knows, you know what they say about a change is as good as a rest. Perhaps SF might actually mature with some governmental experience.

Sure aren't they in government in NI?

However, during the 2020 GE election campaign SF discouraged talk of their governmental record in NI. Describing it as 'another jurisdiction' which sounded suspiciously partionist to me!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

B2021M wrote: »
    Housing can never be solved as with free movement of people the demand cant ever be predicted?

I certainly don't think a 10% stamp duty on 10 or more property purchases by investment funds will make the slightest difference, they'll either factor it in or find away to off shoot that expense off some other taxes, expenses. Just a humble opinion, no expert :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

On with the talking to the audience as if they're all a transition student class..

Anyway I am off to update my Windows 10 PC need another 8GB free to get the last update... So I was putting it off.
    That tech one that is on now has me rattled!

• Advertisement

However, during the 2020 GE election campaign SF discouraged talk of their governmental record in NI. Describing it as 'another jurisdiction' which sounded suspiciously partionist to me!

I've never understood this constant comparison with NI, chalk and cheese, apples and oranges (no pun intended), the British government pretty much finance everything up there and certainly rubber stamp most things, Governing in such an unpredictable environment can't be compared with the Republic.

Is it just me or does this technology reporter nhale from hillium balllon before she speaks :)

I've never understood this constant comparison with NI, chalk and cheese, apples and oranges (no pun intended), the British government pretty much finance everything up there and certainly rubber stamp most things, Governing in such an unpredictable environment can't be compared with the Republic.

Not in all cases such as social welfare which the SDLP criticised them for. It is a handy SF 'out' to blame the Unionists and WM. They can't always hide behind it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yeh but NI "government" is a basket case, trying to extrapolate performance in that to relatively normal government is probably not going to tell us much in reality.

Not in all cases such as social welfare which the SDLP critismed them for. It is a handy SF 'out' to blame the Unionists and WM. They can't always hide behind it though.

O I understand but like many my concerns this side of the border (not being critical), just saying my judgement reserved for how any political party performs in the republic, I better avoid getting into united Ireland discussions etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The timing was just perfect for the gangsters. I'm wondering exactly how they accessed the system, was it phishing or was it penetration through a system weakness.

I heard Eamon Ryan saying yesterday that remote working added weakness to the system and may have been a factor, I wonder is there any truth in this at all, was surprised to hear ER come out with it to be honest

Yaaaaawn!!

Unless we have an Indian summer in August/September I fear you could be right.

Although on the other hand a percentage of people will be just anxious to get out no matter what the weather.
    I wouldn't worry about the rain, it looks worse than it is. Might as well embrace it.

Prices are not as bad as I had been expecting. A week in an air bnb in the scenic bits of Connemara or Donegal can be got for €600-700. It can be more reasonably priced again, if the host has a personal site/social media.

I'm the kind of person who resents paying for public parking, but even in my view that's fair enough. I think the media publicity on price-gouging last month has had some dampening effect on the price level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

MIscarriages.

I wouldn't worry about the rain, it's always worse than it looks. Might as well embrace it.

Prices are not as bad as I had been expecting. A week in an air bnb in the scenic bits of Connemara or Donegal can be got for €600-700. It can be more reasonably priced again, if the host has a personal site/social media.

I'm the kind of person who resents paying for public parking, but even in my view that's fair enough. I think the media publicity on price-gouging last month has had some dampening effect on the price level.

i was looking at a sheraton and could get a suite for 5 nights for 675 whih i thought wasnt that bad (probably 25% more than i paid last time i was in a hotel abroad.
    im guessing if you want somewhere specific it causes the issues (as it always does)

Unless we have an Indian summer in August/September I fear you could be right.

Although on the other hand a percentage of people will be just anxious to get out no matter what the weather.

It will be interesting, I had a restaurant in Dingle back in the early 2000"s, I traded all year round and Dingle has a longer season than most tourist towns, March to October, alot of other tourist towns a much shorter season and its they who might struggle particularly if international travel doesn't return, infact Dingle heavily dependant on international visitors also, hadn't thought of that.

I certainly don't think a 10% stamp duty on 10 or more property purchases by investment funds will make the slightest difference, they'll either factor it in or find away to off shoot that expense off some other taxes, expenses. Just a humble opinion, no expert :)
    That's a good result every change they've made has made the supply issue worse, so big improvement if they're only having no effect :D

That's a good result every change they've made has made the supply issue worse, so big improvement if they're only having no effect :D

yeh it seems anything they do makes things worse, imho the only thing that would work is build lots of council houses and flats which reduces the pressure on the private rental and sale market. which in turn should reduce rents.
    but the reduced profits available would reduce the private build market, but t least affordable housing would be created.

unfortunately its also long term which isnt any use to a politician.

Listened to a Doctor earlier describing what hospital staff dealing with because of this cyber attack, its horrendous by all accounts, even finding a patient just admitted is a challenge, let alone getting blood results (up to 6 hours), pen a paper approach and one Waterford hospital came up with a work around for printing labels, basically a personal laptop connected to a printer. Just extraordinary and shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sweet jeez, Claire and this auld wan and the stolen handbag is painfully bad. So miserable that it would put Joe Duffy to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Sweet jeez, Claire and this auld wan and the stolen handbag is painfully bad. So miserable that it would put Joe Duffy to shame.

Awful stuff isn't it.

Just turned in for the first time in months. Whats going on with this show?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Listened to a Doctor earlier describing what hospital staff dealing with because of this cyber attack, its horrendous by all accounts, even finding a patient just admitted is a challenge, let alone getting blood results (up to 6 hours), pen a paper approach and one Waterford hospital came up with a work around for printing labels, basically a personal laptop connected to a printer. Just extraordinary and shocking.
    I heard a bit of that.

Whatever about at other crisis times, now is definitely not a time to find yourself in need of hospitalisation.

You'd have to feel for the staff, having come through the last 16 months, and now to have to face into this (which I reckon will go on a lot longer than anyone is yet letting on).

• Registered Users Posts: 82,572 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Great to have the return of ads for gigs that we can begin to complain about once they gave been played 900 times, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Awful stuff isn't it.

Just turned in for the first time in months. Whats going on with this show?

It's gone to pot ever since CB took over. The research consists of looking at today's trending hashtags on Instagram, a copy of Take A Break and her.ie

Joe's already put in a formal complaint for breach of contract (his states only he can deal with abject misery on RTE)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Great to have the return of ads for gigs that we can begin to complain about once they gave been played 900 times, lol.

When is Neal Diamond coming ?

Surely must be a few more has beens on the horizon ?

The Four Tops, Garth Brooks,Jimmy Shand, Billy Joel, Cliff????

Sell outs for Pat surely:cool:

O FFS squirmy deflector in chief Paul Reid

Typical Reid, let me start with......... The obvious, absolute clown, dogs in the streets know THE HSE Ignored numerous concerns about their IT systems

Answer the Questions Paul or let me, Yes information is on the dark net, your own Minister confirmed this earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The sound of a man that knew he was going to limp over the line having just barely done enough during covid but he will surely have to go for this complete mismanagement of their IT systems. Anybody could tell you the HSE has been living in the dark ages when it comes to their IT tech.

Advertisement