Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Dempo1 wrote: »
    And I'll ignore the question, Google it, perhaps the minister might do the same

That’s strange, I was listening to the interview and at no stage was there any mention of a “Universal Health” identifier mentioned .

Never even mentioned .

So…. given your rather rude reference to me and my postings I am going to pursue this a bit.

Please tell us where Claire failed as you say to tackle the minister on the issues you outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I think Brendan is asking a reasonable question, in fairness. It's easy to Google the answer, but do you mean MRN isnt communicable between hospitals?

Any time I've been in hospital, I've just given my PPSN and nobody had any trouble identifying my previous records. Granted, they can't so at this at this very moment.

Using the PPS number is excluded under GDPR , it would have resolved the unique identifier issue ,alas.

If you have been to more than one hospital in your lifetime than you have a number of MRNS.

The issue has been known for years but instead of taking action the lone has been we can't do anything as using PPS numbers is prohibited.

Regarding communications between hospitals - that's a whole different can of worms.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Using the PPS number is excluded under GDPR , it would have resolved the unique identifier issue ,alas.

If you have been to more than one hospital in your lifetime than you have a number of MRNS.

The issue has been known for years but instead of taking action the lone has been we can't do anything as using PPS numbers is prohibited.

Regarding communications between hospitals - that's a whole different can of worms.

Info, not being smart, but this has nowt to do with the issue Mr Dempo raised in his post referring to Ms Claire Byrne’s show.

Appreciate your input but need the boy Dempo to justify his criticism of her,pertaining to her interview with Minister Smith this a.m.

Just to clear things up, like.

If I am mistaken of course I will admit my misinterpretation of the interview.

Now as promised I will say that I played back the excerpt with Oissien and he did mention ‘Universional Health ID “ once, after referring to “Individual Health ID” all along.

Which is why I wanted a definition of ‘Universial Health ID’ as understood by Dempo.

Chance to get off the hook here, a chara, let’s have you.

On the face of it Ossian had a good interview but....claiming that there is a unique hospital identifier when there isn't and has caused huge headaches for hospitals this week ,not to mention the vaccine roll out is bad enough....
    But to then ,when questioned by Claire, to say that the vaccine registration had facilitated the unique hospital identifier build is likely to come back and bite him .

I am reminded of Matt Hancocks interview on the Andrew Marr show that appeared to go well only for Priti Patel to contradict what he said the following week.

If only Pat Kenny had this interview with Ossian. ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I made no reference to the Ministers brief or his capabilities in my original question where I asked a perfectly ligitimate question, regarding something the minister said which I believed to be factually incorrect

Brendan, thank you for clarifying that what I thought I heard did occur, my issue is this continuous need to question, incorrectly what was asked originally and hours after the fact, it seems at times a very strange need to either be critical, objectionable or perhaps be mischievous. Agree or disagree but read the post you wish to comment on and less of the patronising, philisophical nonsense it's quite irratating.

I'll leave it at that

EDIT, I meant Unique, not universal

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

On the face of it Ossian had a good interview but....claiming that there is a unique hospital identifier when there isn't and has caused huge headaches for hospitals this week ,not to mention the vaccine roll out is bad enough....
    But to then ,when questioned by Claire, to say that the vaccine registration had facilitated the unique hospital identifier build is likely to come back and bite him .

I am reminded of Matt Hancocks interview on the Andrew Marr show that appeared to go well only for Priti Patel to contradict what he said the following week.

If only Pat Kenny had this interview with Ossian. ...

Well put and these were my concerns not the Ministers ability, other than the incorrect comment made it was a good interview, credit were credit due.

As an aside, I had a long awaited MRI scan in a public hospital in the Midlands yesterday, thank god it was being done by a private entity on behalf of HSE in an area on tge campus away from main building. I had to go through main hospital to get to MRI and mother of God it was chaotic. In essence, basic functions such as scans, xrays, admissions, even blood tests seriously impacted by cyber attack. My own results will be delayed. It seemed extraordinary the Main Hospital couldn't do MRI or xrays, but a private entity within a public hospital could albeit with delayed results. Just hope it's resolved soon, horrendous for staff and patients.

I have a list of MRNs as long as the pins in my arms, but the records were always pulled from different hospitals without a problem.

I wonder is it the case that they can see your records if you volunteer the information? The last time I was in, the radiographer said "you have broken your elbow" (I was in for my femur, so was very surprised), and then 10 minutes later she came back and said, sorry, that was a radiograph from 2004.

All of this GDPR nonsense is a stupidity. I don't believe it was ever designed to impede access to healthcare, and if it is being cited as such, I suspect it's on the basis of bad advice.

All of this GDPR nonsense is a stupidity. I don't believe it was ever designed to impede access to healthcare, and if it is being cited as such, I suspect it's on the basis of bad advice.

Don't want to go off thread but my understanding is that GDPR is not the issue ,rather it's the different hospitals - HSE / Voluntary / Private etc ,multiple IT systems etc

Don't want to go off thread but my understanding is that GDPR is not the issue ,rather it's the different hospitals - HSE / Voluntary / Private etc ,multiple IT systems etc

Yep, that's the question — in my experience hospitals have always been able.to pull records for comparative purposes but maybe this is not commonplace?

• Advertisement

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-claire-byrne/

There’s the link ….first item on the list…Covid Certs.

Make up your own minds.

Relevant stuff is about 13 mins in

I made no reference to the Ministers brief or his capabilities in my original question where I asked a perfectly ligitimate question, regarding something the minister said which I believed to be factually incorrect

Brendan, thank you for clarifying that what I thought I heard did occur, my issue is this continuous need to question, incorrectly what was asked originally and hours after the fact, it seems at times a very strange need to either be critical, objectionable or perhaps be mischievous. Agree or disagree but read the post you wish to comment on and less of the patronising, philisophical nonsense it's quite irratating.

I'll leave it at that

EDIT, I meant Unique, not universal

I’m going to leave it at that too, but I feel asking you to clarify what exactly you considered was, as the minister said once a “Universal Health Indicator” was perfectly legitimate so as to establish we were both talking about the same thing.

Neither spurious or patronizing or philosophical nonsense, in my opinion.

I have to respond to that accusation and when I realised he said it once in the 20 min interview I acknowledged the fact.,

Why is there no coverage of the upturn for retail in local villages - the Grafton Street rental bubble was always going to plateau regardless of Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Why is there no coverage of the upturn for retail in local villages - the Grafton Street rental bubble was always going to plateau regardless of Covid

retail doesnt exist outside of Grafton Street or Dundrum for the Montrose bubble dwellers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

god the dominic cummings parliamentry commitee evidence is mental
    Cummings says system that offers voters choice between Johnson and Corbyn for PM deeply flawed

LOL i think about the choices offered at most elections ive voted in like that

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

I listen most mornings to Red FM, although I am not from Cork, there was a great debate on this morning about dole spongers. You would never get such discussion on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Cummings needs to be held to account and not treated like a god

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Why oh why Claire byrne and her producers thinks doing “explorations of niche musical genres” is relevant or appropriate for this show is beyond me...

Today’s “listening” is heavy metal ....

I’m not fully convinced this type of segment is required but, More appropriate for arena surely??

It’s almost Alan partridge level farce

“This week, Claire immerses herself in the underground death metal scene”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Why oh why Claire byrne and her producers thinks doing “explorations of niche musical genres” is relevant or appropriate for this show is beyond me...

I’m not fully convinced this type of segment is required but, More appropriate for arena surely??

Sure Metal was due a turn on the show, which had covered all sorts of music. So far they covered Country, Western, C+W, Country and Western, Irish Country, Country and Irish, Showband, Irish, Adult Dancing, Jive, C+I, Irish Western, Line Dancing and music to enjoy when Coppers reopens. Next week it's a focus on Nathan Carter

Back on topic now; on the line to discuss a return of live music in bars is David James, presenter of Jive Time on Highland Radio (Seriously, he is.)

• Advertisement

Sure Metal was due a turn on the show, which had covered all sorts of music. So far they covered Country, Western, C+W, Country and Western, Irish Country, Country and Irish, Showband, Irish, Adult Dancing, Jive, C+I, Irish Western, Line Dancing and music to enjoy when Coppers reopens. Next week it's a focus on Nathan Carter

Back on topic now; on the line to discuss a return of live music in bars is David James, presenter of Jive Time on Highland Radio (Seriously, he is.)

I’ve no issue with metal as a genre

My issue is I don’t think this “Claire explores a musical genre” segment is appropriate for a flagship current affairs morning show on the national broadcaster

Social welfare are about to "engage" with PUP RECEPIENTS from next week, to offer advice, explore changing careers etc, Notifications already sent out, I wondered will they be targetting musicians, actors, artists etc. They'll certainly need to thread carefully with this delicate cohort. SW also "engaging" with recepients working in industries still close, seems extraordinary, the we're all in this Together cliché long forgotten and the bashing of PUP recepients has ramped up with gusto with some outlandish claims from "Concerned" employers now desperate, the same employers who dropped staff like bad habits, rather than avail of wage subsidy schemes. It's a disgusting and disgraceful change of narrative but all to predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I’ve no issue with metal as a genre

My issue is I don’t think this “Claire explores a musical genre” segment is appropriate for a flagship current affairs morning show on the national broadcaster

Let's face it; the show has stopped being a either a flagship or a current affairs morning show long long ago.

Did Claire say 150k have closed pup payment, was it not 50k over the past two weeks? Figures normally released on Tuesday not a Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Social welfare are about to "engage" with PUP RECEPIENTS from next week, to offer advice, explore changing careers etc, Notifications already sent out, I wondered will they be targetting musicians, actors, artists etc. They'll certainly need to thread carefully with this delicate cohort. SW also "engaging" with recepients working in industries still close, seems extraordinary, the we're all in this Together cliché long forgotten and the bashing of PUP recepients has ramped up with gusto with some outlandish claims from "Concerned" employers now desperate, the same employers who dropped staff like bad habits, rather than avail of wage subsidy schemes. It's a disgusting and disgraceful change of narrative but all to predictable.

Why do I get the feeling this will just consist of letters from Tus?

Why do I get the feeling this will just consist of letters from Tus?

It won't by all accounts or maybe, don't really know much about TUS, Notifications SENT to claimants mywelfare accounts directly , advising register on a specific employment website, additional advice on seeking employment, career change and being followed up by an officer after the 31st may. Whilst no doubting pup will wind down, the only narrative being leaked is no cliff edge but in the mean time DSP commencing a new approach by all accounts.

It won't by all accounts or maybe, don't really know much about TUS, Notifications SENT to claimants mywelfare accounts directly , advising register on a specific employment website, additional advice on seeking employment, career change and being followed up by an officer after the 31st may. Whilst no doubting pup will wind down, the only narrative being leaked is no cliff edge but in the mean time DSP commencing a new approach by all accounts.

Doing their job, it seems to me anyway.

Doing their job, it seems to me anyway.

Possibly, my point being why are they apparently targeting claimants in sectors Not actually opened yet and indeed claimants in employment albeit still laid off awaiting a return to work. Meanwhile all government saying, no cliff edge, which appears to be contradictory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Let's face it; the show has stopped being a either a flagship or a current affairs morning show long long ago.

Light entertainment fit to be beamed into hairdressers and the like around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I think Arena already do this. I can't remember which night it's on.

Advertisement