Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Why oh why Claire byrne and her producers thinks doing “explorations of niche musical genres” is relevant or appropriate for this show is beyond me...

Today’s “listening” is heavy metal ....

I’m not fully convinced this type of segment is required but, More appropriate for arena surely??

The guy she had on didn't help.

For someone who has is own podcast (who doesn't these days?) and should be accustomed to this sort of stuff, he was a bag of nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’ve no issue with metal as a genre

My issue is I don’t think this “Claire explores a musical genre” segment is appropriate for a flagship current affairs morning show on the national broadcaster

I hate the word genre .... tunes are tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I hate the word genre .... tunes are tunes

Tell that to the Claire Byrne show !! They seem fixated with Claire encountering various “genres” for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is this expert not actually aware PUP is based on previous earnings? Extraordinary, PUP was only awarded to those who were actually working, self employed or students who worked.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Not doubting PUP needs to be tappered and gradually withdrawn but the smearing of PUP recepients absolutely appalling and led primarily by the Hospitality sector and vested interest groups. The nonsense about PUP recepients refusing work is just silly beyond belief.

I was struck by a report on Skynew during the week, it discussed serious recruitment challenges in the UK hospitality sector. Obviously UK employers can't blame PUP for this.

It's also telling that these so called "Concerned" employers in Ireland did not avail of generous wage subsidy schemes rather than drop their staff like bad habits who had no option but to claim PUP.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-customers-are-desperate-to-dine-but-restaurants-and-pubs-are-facing-a-recruitment-crisis-12320415

• Advertisement

Lol, clever plug by this hotelier and he's 100% correct, always amazed me why people use 3rd party booking websites, the price of a call or free email could save people serious money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Lol, clever plug by this hotelier and he's 100% correct, always amazed me why people use 3rd party booking websites, the price of a call or free email could save people serious money.

It really depends.

Hotels pay a commission, which means booking sites can offer cheaper.

The hotels are free to take their hotels off these sites...

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭bossdrum

Not doubting PUP needs to be tappered and gradually withdrawn but the smearing of PUP recepients absolutely appalling and led primarily by the Hospitality sector and vested interest groups. The nonsense about PUP recepients refusing work is just silly beyond belief.

I was struck by a report on Skynew during the week, it discussed serious recruitment challenges in the UK hospitality sector. Obviously UK employers can't blame PUP for this.

It's also telling that these so called "Concerned" employers in Ireland did not avail of generous wage subsidy schemes rather than drop their staff like bad habits who had no option but to claim PUP.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-customers-are-desperate-to-dine-but-restaurants-and-pubs-are-facing-a-recruitment-crisis-12320415

I think there probably are people that don't want to go back to work but since when did everyone start calling it the PUP rather than P.U.P.
    It seems that by calling it the pup there is a deliberate sneering at the recipients.
    I felt this in Claire's tone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I'll give you 3 nights for 450 I think he said and thats probably the "from" figure, I think I heard him right

bossdrum wrote: »
    I think there probably are people that don't want to go back to work but since when did everyone start calling it the PUP rather than P.U.P.
    It seems that by calling it the pup there is a deliberate sneering at the recipients.
    I felt this in Claire's tone as well.

Yes she seems determined to stir it with employers, soe the seed as it were. I'm not doubting there are some people not wanting to return but anecdotal evidence suggests, very very few and there's obviously many reasons other than a blanket refusal.

• Advertisement

I'll give you 3 nights for 450 I think he said and thats probably the "from" figure, I think I heard him right

You did :) and I gaurentee if you call him, it will be €400 and your right arm :)

You did :) and I gaurentee if you call him, it will be €400 and your right arm :)

Tis still too much

Pussyhands wrote: »
    It really depends.

Hotels pay a commission, which means booking sites can offer cheaper.

The hotels are free to take their hotels off these sites...

That's supposed to be how it works, I spent years managing bookings in hotels and in most cases commissions unsustainable, hotel's generally use these booking engines to drive sales but all hotels only release a percentage of rooms for sale. I can see the need for 3rd party sites in a normal economy but feel in the current climate Hotels, particularly in home market will offer better deals direct, offer the discount direct rather than paying commissions etc. Such will be the stiff competition for a very small market (Domestic Tourism) and window, Hotels will if approached directly offer better deals.

O Barry mentioned Joe Duffy, he's in trouble :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Roll on the creamy pints !!

I've been curious we're Shebeens get their kegs from, I'm assuming from local pubs that we're closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I've been curious we're Shebeens get their kegs from, I'm assuming from local pubs that we're closed?

there was a guy on from the vintners a few months ago saying that they werent selling them through irish distributors so god knows where they get them from.

nice of claire to think someone who is 57 will find it easy to get another job

there was a guy on from the vintners a few months ago saying that they werent selling them through irish distributors so god knows where they get them from.

nice of claire to think someone who is 57 will find it easy to get another job

The case of the Mysterious Kegs :)

Yes, I feel for that 57 year old lady and its by no means going to be easy, I'd wager anyone in the mid to late 50"s will find it challenging getting new jobs for the foreseeable future.

Obviously it’s easier to get a job when you have one but I had a scary experience at 40 yo where I had left a 15 year job to go out on my own, didn’t quite match my expectations but I got a real fear when I went lookin for a job, I got lucky and now things couldn’t be better but if your over 40 and don’t have a degree and regular qualifications (tech) even if you’re a self trained genius, you could find yourself in trouble

Obviously it’s easier to get a job when you have one but I had a scary experience at 40 yo where I had left a 15 year job to go out on my own, didn’t quite match my expectations but I got a real fear when I went lookin for a job, I got lucky and now things couldn’t be better but if your over 40 and don’t have a degree and regular qualifications (tech) even if you’re a self trained genius, you could find yourself in trouble

Fully agreed, I'm 53 and whilst I spent 30 years in the hospitality business, firstly as a chef, then management, culinary teaching in the states, I left the industry, working part time now in a completely different career with some online tutoring. When I came back to Ireland after last crash, I wanted to take a step back, could not find a position, too qualified (Too old, albeit never admitted), now I wonder would my right arm be taken off if I applied for a Hospitality job?

• Advertisement

Fully agreed, I'm 53 and whilst I spent 30 years in the hospitality business, firstly as a chef, then management, culinary teaching in the states, I left the industry, working part time now in a completely different career with some online tutoring. When I came back to Ireland after last crash, I wanted to take a step back, could not find a position, too qualified (Too old, albeit never admitted), now I wonder would my right arm be taken off if I applied for a Hospitality job?

By the looks of things if your granny was any way supple she'd get the start the way they're talkin

By the looks of things if your granny was any way supple she'd get the start the way they're talkin

LOL :)

Just listening to the new recovery plan, Absolute B******, basically a Jobspath #2, have they learned nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

LOL :)

Just listening to the new recovery plan, Absolute B******, basically a Jobspath #2, have they learned nothing

So what should they have learned, a chara?

Give us a steer….

So what should they have learned, a chara?

Give us a steer….

Hi there,

Jobspath, we're does one start

€270 million spent (actually wasted) , 8% placement rate and that only for 12 MONTHS, Some quite remarkable complaints listed in many, many Dail deputy responses. Little or no political support apart from a few FG stalwarts who introduced it. Public accounts Committee has been investigating it for months etc etc.

But aside from the above and alot more besides, I actually had an eventful experience with one of the 2 companies that got those millions, one not even registered in the state. It was a few years back but I'm precluded from going into too much detail but suffice to say DPC involved and other agencies. I was more than pleased with the outcome. I should stress I was referred to this farcical scheme not because fully unemployed but reduced hours for a period of time. This was at a time when every Tom dick and Harry being referred.

Please do search Jobspath complaints etc, you'll find more than enough to digest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hi there,

Jobspath, we're does one start

€270 million spent (actually wasted) , 8% placement rate and that only for 12 MONTHS, Some quite remarkable complaints listed in many, many Dail deputy responses. Little or no political support apart from a few FG stalwarts who introduced it. Public accounts Committee has been investigating it for months etc etc.

But aside from the above and alot more besides, I actually had an eventful experience with one of the 2 companies that got those millions, one not even registered in the state. It was a few years back but I'm precluded from going into too much detail but suffice to say DPC involved and other agencies. I was more than pleased with the outcome. I should stress I was referred to this farcical scheme not because fully unemployed but reduced hours for a period of time. This was at a time when every Tom dick and Harry being referred.

Please do search Jobspath complaints etc, you'll find more than enough to digest.

I’ll bow to your greater knowledge on that specific organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The guy she had on didn't help.

For someone who has is own podcast (who doesn't these days?) and should be accustomed to this sort of stuff, he was a bag of nerves.

Was pointed in the direction as friend said you like metal Claire Byrne was discussing metal, newest band he discussed was about 30 years old!! Texter recommended Nightwish and Claire asked him his 2 cents he just goes oh yes a female fronted band, I mean this female fronted says nothing about what the band actually does he either wasn't a fan or not clued in and they about 20 years old haha.

I’ll bow to your greater knowledge on that specific organisation.

I wouldn't say I've greater knowledge, just personal experience Brendan. I'm the first to agree with Job activation schemes, courses etc, I'd just say humbly, if something is not working and proven not be, it should be stopped not extended, which it has been twice now. But I do accept, not always easy to get these schemes right.

Aside from this, the recovery plan seemed reasonable enough but I was taken aback to discover houses built after 2013 were exempt from property tax, I genuinely thought it was only properties in ghost / unfinished estates or those affected by the pyrite scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Was pointed in the direction as friend said you like metal Claire Byrne was discussing metal, newest band he discussed was about 30 years old!! Texter recommended Nightwish and Claire asked him his 2 cents he just goes oh yes a female fronted band, I mean this female fronted says nothing about what the band actually does he either wasn't a fan or not clued in and they about 20 years old haha.

On the CB show that says everything, it's says they're amazing! ;)

Haha, but in fairness, I think the value of that segment was Claire Byrne trying to undertsand the appeal of heavy-metal. It was never going to appeal to heavy-metal fans, but the rest of us probably got a laugh from it.

• Advertisement

I hate night wish

Advertisement