Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

IWT the producer of the programme largely decides the content and running order of the show. Don't think CB is the producer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

touts wrote: »
    Well maybe in the past they had a positive impact but recently all they seem to do is fight for Criminal's rights rather than Civil Liberties so I'm not sure why they even still exist other than to lobby for criminals.

They certainly did and continue to have a positive impact.

Having said that they are only one NGO voice and have no power as such.

Civil liberties can never be taken for granted.

They do a lot more than "fight for criminal's rights".

This is a link to the Board https://www.iccl.ie/about/executive-board/

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Maybe slightly off topic, but........it appears that Sean O’Rourkes pensioner gig with RTÉ has not been cancelled, but merely postponed.

What a surprise.

I doubt if RTÉ will be whipping up a mob to come on whineline about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

They‘ll bring O‘Rourke back in December when we’re all up up our eyes in Christmas. I’d suspect a contract was signed and they got legal advice saying Golfgate wasn’t enough to cancel the contract.

Along with the fact they are so slow to blood new people on RTE 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It think a lot depends on the format of show they have in mind for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Darina Allen and JP McMahon to tell us how to make the perfect fry. Whether or not to have beans with it.

Ray Darcy territory.

RTÉ seems beset by phone calls that don’t work well. The delay on Tomás’ call was reminiscent of Apollo 11 circling the moon.

The call at the moment sounds like Norman Collier (You have to be a certain age)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

€380k for the house +€50k to renovate it... Thats for the house that was burned down in carnmore yesterday btw.. You'd get a very decent house for that money in Galway, I'll have to have a look at whats left of it later

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Rte saying the bales were put there to slow the fire service. My sister lives there. She said the bales have been there for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,019 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

It probably wasn't wise of Claire Byrne to allow Ray D'Arcy in charge of the buttons during today's show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I can hear people having a right chat and laught in the background when they have a guest on the line...

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

KevRossi wrote: »
    They‘ll bring O‘Rourke back in December when we’re all up up our eyes in Christmas. I’d suspect a contract was signed and they got legal advice saying Golfgate wasn’t enough to cancel the contract.

Along with the fact they are so slow to blood new people on RTE 1.

I think you may be right. O’Rourke was very definitive when he was reported the other day as disputing the rte version of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,470 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Have to laugh at the stuff going on on Clare Byrne right now.

Lookit........ everybody knows the pubs are packed watching these games as was reported.

The vested interests try to gloss over it.

But the old adage always trumps that.

“Pat will always try to game the system if there is no enforcement“

That’s a given.

No point in “encouraging” or “persuading” or trying to appeal to their “sense of responsibility”

Doesn’t work.

Was in a local park recently, lad got out of the van with two big dogs, two of them squatted immediately and spooled two heaps of copper bolts, right under the signs pertaining to dog poo.

Lad totally ignored the loads and carried on, despite the fact that there were several children playing nearby.

Until these lads are hit hard , nothing will change.

Soz folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'm surprised Anton Savages advice to would be contritionists wasnt to seek out the nearest pr firm and pay them 1000s to tell you how to apologise.

I miss Anton Savage on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Have to laugh at the stuff going on on Clare Byrne right now.

Lookit........ everybody knows the pubs are packed watching these games as was reported.

The vested interests try to gloss over it.

But the old adage always trumps that.

“Pat will always try to game the system if there is no enforcement“

That’s a given.

No point in “encouraging” or “persuading” or trying to appeal to their “sense of responsibility”

Doesn’t work.

Was in a local park recently, lad got out of the van with two big dogs, two of them squatted immediately and spooled two heaps of copper bolts, right under the signs pertaining to dog poo.

Lad totally ignored the loads and carried on, despite the fact that there were several children playing nearby.

Until these lads are hit hard , nothing will change.

Soz folks.

I totally agree with this.

The responsible people will continue to be responsible, while the irresponsible people...well that encouraging/persuading ship has sailed. They need more stick and less carrot. Unfortunately this cohort know the light touch enforcement that exists in Ireland...across a range of laws and state agencies.

I was really surprised to hear Dr Catherine Motherway (the usually 'no nonsense' doctor) yesterday almost making excuses for the idiots in Killarney at the weekend. She talked about educating young people and how they've had it so tough recently. I'd have thought the hundreds who have died alone on ventilators, and their families, are the ones who've had a bit of a tougher time recently.

Cole wrote: »
    I totally agree with this.

The responsible people will continue to be responsible, while the irresponsible people...well that encouraging/persuading ship has sailed. They need more stick and less carrot. Unfortunately this cohort know the light touch enforcement that exists in Ireland...across a range of laws and state agencies.

I was really surprised to hear Dr Catherine Motherway (the usually 'no nonsense' doctor) yesterday almost making excuses for the idiots in Killarney at the weekend. She talked about educating young people and how they've had it so tough recently. I'd have thought the hundreds who have died alone on ventilators, and their families, are the ones who've had a bit of a tougher time recently.

Indeed.

The strange thing is that nobody seems to know where these handpumps were before they took to the streets.

Doubt if sitting down eating a €9 meal and sipping a beer would leave one in that state.

Yet every nook and cranny and all the minutiae of events in Clifden seem to be known intimately.

Strange...very strange... then that helmet Hely-Rae comes out with his usual bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Brilliant,more depression on the show. Does rte seek out people to interview about depression

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Hasn't been any depression feature since Tubridy interviewed Alastair Campbell half an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Is it just me or does the theme tune sound more and more like a child with a cheap Casio keyboard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Justice Minister is not filling me with confidence - trying to keep all interested parties especially the vintners happy - not the best premise for writing legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see that insufferable spoofer Paul Reid on now, absolutely painful to listen too. "I can comment on this, that or the other"

All we here from him and his top lutenants at the HSE (Most of whom I suggest have ever worked on the front line) is about these mysterious public health teams, no one seem to have actually come across, vist any general hospital at the moment and they've all been pretty much abandoned, God forbid there is a surge because it will be catastrophic.

Rest assured Public Health teams in place when and if needed but please don't inundate our health system, which is to be???

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,604 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Infoanon wrote: »
    Justice Minister is not filling me with confidence - trying to keep all interested parties especially the vintners happy - not the best premise for writing legislation.

She sounded amateurish and unsure

Don’t want to be accused of ageism but she seems too young and inexperienced for the role of justice minister

Maybe it's the weather but Paul Reid didn't instill any confidence passing the book to NPHET......Claires Ill informed questioning doesn't help.

Now we have a labour TD(??) Looking for 6 weeks sick pay if diagnosed with Covid. ...

Maybe it's the weather but Paul Reid didn't instill any confidence passing the book to NPHET......Claires Ill informed questioning doesn't help.

Now we have a labour TD(??) Looking for 6 weeks sick pay if diagnosed with Covid. ...

Fully agree, Claire was only short of asking Reid, did he want a ly down, it's utterly amazed me how Reid has just sailed through this pandemic without any serious questioning of the HSE"s response to date. General hospitals in particular have not returned to anywhere near 50% functionality let alone 100%, waiting lists spiralling out of control, clinics essentially stooped with ludicrous telephone consults now the approach, screening at a standstill, it's just an extraordinary state of affairs. All we get is an absurd weekly slick HSE press conference led by a slick & shiny communications officer, stats, figures, percentages that would make a statistician blush, all of course presenting a nonsensical narrative to deflect and confuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Am I only one not getting it with Claire Byrne..

Never understood her being all that..

Pretty lady, but just not broadcasting material for me..

The Scottish doctor - Professor Linda Ball (?) - is a very clear and effective communicator.

Shows up how poor the other contributers have been today - the questioning alas did not improve

walshb wrote: »
    Am I only one not getting it with Claire Byrne..

Never understood her being all that..

Pretty lady, but just not broadcasting material for me..

No, I'm with you, its a strange one, she has ability but not I believe sufficient to have ousted Sarah, show is now quite bland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

Fabio wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the theme tune sound more and more like a child with a cheap Casio keyboard?

Yeah, it really sounds like the original "Today with PK" tune from the 90's.... why did they revert to it?

• Advertisement

Senator Sherlock.... had form with the Unions in a previous life.

Where do these people think all the money will come from?

Advertisement