Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dempo1 wrote: »
    This is the most perplexing part of this story, not just home bond, surely materials suppliers, developers had liability insurance, we're are the mortgage companies I just find it extraordinary a redress scheme needed to pay of for the mistakes of private companies, now in liquidation.

Exactly it's crazy. Some are still trading away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is the most perplexing part of this story, not just home bond, surely materials suppliers, developers had liability insurance, we're are the mortgage companies I just find it extraordinary a redress scheme needed to pay of for the mistakes of private companies, now in liquidation.

It's a mad idea that the state should just pony up and pay 100% of all these peoples costs to build them new houses. Where's the old maxim: Buyer Beware??

If you ask me, a fair amount of chancers up in Donegal. Last time I was up there, the size of most of the recent bungalows and houses completely belies the moaning that emanates from there about their disadvantaged status.

In fact, Donegal has a lot more in common with the lifestyle and communities of the six counties who have been well bank rolled by Westminster in recent decades in order to buy peace. Maybe they should join NI and let London build them all fancy new mansions!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Furze99 wrote: »
    It's a mad idea that the state should just pony up and pay 100% of all these peoples costs to build them new houses. Where's the old maxim: Buyer Beware??

If you ask me, a fair amount of chancers up in Donegal. Last time I was up there, the size of most of the recent bungalows and houses completely belies the moaning that emanates from there about their disadvantaged status.

In fact, Donegal has a lot more in common with the lifestyle and communities of the six counties who have been well bank rolled by Westminster in recent decades in order to buy peace. Maybe they should join NI and let London build them all fancy new mansions!

Buyer beware?

Have you ever seen a truck load of blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

elperello wrote: »
    Buyer beware?

Have you ever seen a truck load of blocks?

Am I right in understanding the problem is not immediately evident when say looking at and laying blocks, I heard its a gradual deterioration, pyrite, Mico in block mix breaks down blocks etc over time?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Furze99 wrote: »

What idiotic comments.

Buyer beware!

How the hell can you blame the person who buys a house, or builds a house? Unless you are a builder you wouldn't know anything about the materials going into building your house. Don't forget there are qualified and certified engineers at all levels who sign off on properties being built, and homeowners have to trust the people in these positions to do their job.

And don't forget, there are also public buildings affected in this scandal too. Hospitals, schools, libraries, leisure centres, social housing etc.

But hey, you seem to have something against Donegal people, so you have your mind made up. We obviously aren't of the same value as the people in Dublin who had pyrite and who got their properties fixed with no cost to themselves, including all rent and removal/storage costs paid.

But be an ignoramus if you want.
    I'm prepared to take a yellow card or worse.

• Advertisement

Am I right in understanding the problem is not immediately evident when say looking at and laying blocks, I heard its a gradual deterioration, pyrite, Mico in block mix breaks down blocks etc over time?

Yes, a house buyer or even a self builder would not have a hope of identifying the problem until it was too late.

Yes, a house buyer or even a self builder would not have a hope of identifying the problem until it was too late.

There are houses built in the late 90s only showing defects now.

How you would expect a homeowner to be able to have identified defective blocks is beyond me. Even experienced builders didn't know ffs.

But sure, the homeowners are an easy target for many.

Thanks, I thought so, wasn't sure, I genuinely feel for the victims, I saw one elderly couple caught up in this and its appalling. Don't have the answers but I feel strongly about the insurance or lack of it, side to this debacle.

NIMAN wrote: »
    There are houses built in the late 90s only showing defects now.

How you would expect a homeowner to be able to have identified defective blocks is beyond me. Even experienced builders didn't know ffs.

But sure, the homeowners are an easy target for many.

Ill informed victim blaming is quite unhelpful.

The house owners need help and only the government can give it to them.

Then we need to improve standards and regulation to try to prevent future problems.

And don't forget, many homeowners are paying big mortgages on a house that is crumbling in front of them.

And yet they are expected to take out another loan to pay up to 100k to rebuild a house that wasn't their fault.

The company who supplied the defective materials has since registered themselves as a new company, so technically the old one doesn't exist.

• Advertisement

Ill informed victim blaming is quite unhelpful.

The house owners need help and only the government can give it to them.

Then we need to improve standards and regulation to try to prevent future problems.

I agree but it's equally fair to say government have been talking about improving standards, enforcing regulations etc for an awfully long time, 100"s of apartment owners still facing a host of fire regulation issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Damien is back on again today. Mysteriously he is fitting into the flow of the show a lot better that CB does, and he's making it sound a lot better even with it running fairly typical CB type topics today.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

"intolerable conditions for consultants in this country"

what planet are these people on?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Did I hear correctly this am when these consultant dudes were discussing things with PBH.

PBH in a very disparaging tone ‘berates’ the HSE for not having a representative joining the discussion, but contributing a long statement.

These are the guys who when the ‘BirthdayGate’ incident flared up couldn’t produce a freaking spokesperson IN THEIR OWN PREMISES !!

In their own premises, on their doorstep!

Some chinas this lot, they think the listeners have short memories.

Boucher Hayes is an astute guy. He's ideal for this slot. Seems to take a special interest in environment and NI, too, two issues that are going to shape our future.

Much more preferable to O'Reilly or Byrne, the latter is a great broadcaster but not my scene.

Much more preferable to O'Reilly or Byrne, the latter is a great broadcaster but not my scene.

Mark Byrne? Yeah he is good.

Mark Byrne? Yeah he is good.

Can we be serious please? You well know which Byrne I meant.

RIP Gaybo.

Can we be serious please? You well know which Byrne I meant.

RIP Gaybo.

What????? Gabriel has died? That'll ruin the revival of Bracken proper bad :(

That golden retriever query is the best ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Boucher Hayes is an astute guy. He's ideal for this slot. Seems to take a special interest in environment and NI, too, two issues that are going to shape our future.

Tend to agree, though he loves his phrasing at times. You can just see him fashioning sentences in his head. But perhaps that suits this slot anyway which is not pure current affairs.

Sarah McInerny was good, both miles better than the regular present incumbent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Great is really overstating it imo. I used to quite like her, but this show has become a right dog's dinner (although I haven't listened for a few months) and let's not even mention her TV show.

Having said all that, I'm going to give it another go, as Pat Kenny has completely lost the plot and become unbearably smug. Speaking of smug, I see PBH is filling in, so I'll wait until CB returns before I start tuning in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Fillin getting highly agitated that anyone would suggest going against what the govt or nphet say or having an opinion that differs. The govt propoganda dept at its best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

neris wrote: »
    Fillin getting highly agitated that anyone would suggest going against what the govt or nphet say or having an opinion that differs. The govt propoganda dept at its best

I'm not a PBH fan at all, but I heard that antigen testing discussion and I think he did a good job. He had 2 pro antigen testing guests and 1 'objective' (medical) journalist. He has to at least question some of what's been said...that's his job. If you want the other extreme and listen to completely unbalanced rants against NPHET and pro antigen testing (without any nuance), head over to Pat Kenny.

I'm still a bit confused on some of the details of antigen testing, but at least I got to hear a calm discussion on it and helped me to understand the arguments for and against a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

neris wrote: »

Pathetic really. No mention of the elephant in the room why NPHET don't want the antigen tests-Their buddies in the industry won't get any kick backs

Talking about masturbation, erections, wet dreams and so on.

Bet CB is happy that she's not on air this week :D

Talking about masturbation, erections, wet dreams and so on.

Bet CB is happy that she's not on air this week :D

Hmmmm, perhaps she's listening in on her staycation camping trip in Kerry :)

Is it just me or is this global affairs expert the guy who does Kermit the frogs Voice?

O Deer, clearly a slow news day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Pathetic really. No mention of the elephant in the room why NPHET don't want the antigen tests-Their buddies in the industry won't get any kick backs

Yes , no mention of the elephant in the room of why some are pushing for antigen test , they have share in antigen test companies .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Good Lord, PBH in the chair today

• Advertisement

And Shay Byrne will be in to discuss live gigs, of which he will get things spectacularly wrong.

:pac:

Advertisement