Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Don't be so hard on female alcoholics

what am I listening to?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

SPDUB wrote: »
    Yes , no mention of the elephant in the room of why some are pushing for antigen test , they have share in antigen test companies .

Have you anything to back that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't be so hard on female alcoholics

what am I listening to?:confused:

Don't be hard on alcoholics, full stop.

Have you anything to back that up?

Some guy on the internet said it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

zell12 wrote: »
    Good Lord, PBH in the chair today

Try to get the punctuation right -

Good, Lord PBH in the chair today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Why are there gambling adverts on our national radio station before noon!

Somebody in government needs to step in soon and ban gambling advertisements. Its verging on the ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Just caught some in the background. Have they got a Miss Ireland on talking about Covid restrictions? Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Sitting in my car, outside GP surgery, heading for 2nd Dose of Pfizer, whilst waiting, I Switched on, Heard Snooty PBH"s voice, Switched off almost immediately, it was like a spontaneous nervous reaction, might talk to GP about it :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Why are these gardeners totally against chemicals?

I don't like over-reliance on chemicals, used too liberally they do indeed destroy an ecosystem, but potting mint around the garden to rid an ant infestation? Come on now!

Very interesting segment though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is there no Friday gathering anymore? I always enjoy that slot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,184 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just caught some in the background. Have they got a Miss Ireland on talking about Covid restrictions? Hopefully I'm wrong.
    She's a student, she's in an age cohort that won't be vaccinated for ages, she's articulate, she has an opinion.

The fact that she's Miss Ireland is incidental (I have no idea why they even mentioned it).

Why shouldn't she be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,184 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Sitting in my car, outside GP surgery, heading for 2nd Dose of Pfizer, whilst waiting, I Switched on, Heard Snooty PBH"s voice, Switched off almost immediately, it was like a spontaneous nervous reaction, might talk to GP about it :)
    I'm so used to Lyric these days to avoid Pat's ranting and raving, I never even think of Radio 1 - happened to have it on this morning, and my goodness, what a blessed oasis of rational, calm, articulate, intelligent interviewing.

More of this, please!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm so used to Lyric these days to avoid Pat's ranting and raving, I never even think of Radio 1 - happened to have it on this morning, and my goodness, what a blessed oasis of rational, calm, articulate, intelligent interviewing.

More of this, please!

Have to agree re Pat's rants, particularly on antigen testing, it's descended into a disturbing obsession. We'll agree to disagree re PBH, I just find him astonishingly patronising which actually has the opposite affect on any discussion he partakes in and articulate, not how I'd describe his interviewing skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    She's a student, she's in an age cohort that won't be vaccinated for ages, she's articulate, she has an opinion.

The fact that she's Miss Ireland is incidental (I have no idea why they even mentioned it).

Why shouldn't she be on?

Got it, all I heard was a discussion about Covid restrictions followed by introducing Miss Ireland for her thoughts on it. Seemed like an odd choice to have their voice heard on the subject to me.

Got it, all I heard was a discussion about Covid restrictions followed by introducing Miss Ireland for her thoughts on it. Seemed like an odd choice to have their voice heard on the subject to me.

You could do worse than to listen back on the podcast.

She was making a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Her contribution was fine, but what was odd/bizarre was PBH virtually shutting down the Irish Travel Agents Association guy (I know... vested interest and all that) during the same piece when he posed a reasonable question imo re. the latest travel advice comments for younger people from NPHET. At one point PBH said to him "let's leave the epidemiology to the epidemiologists."

A minute later PBH is saying "and now's let's hear from current Miss Ireland and Dundalk IT student Chelsea Farrell"

Just fascinating how a non story becomes headline news only to become a non story again within 24 hours. Yesterday there was shock and horror that having spent almost €17 million on outdoor spaces, alcohol could not be served outdoors. The usual moan brigade were on, GRA, RAI, actually Adrian Cummins promoted to morning Ireland sound bites.

Constance Cassidy SC has spoken, she's by far the best expert on licensing laws in Ireland, over to you local Authorities, welcome back Claire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just fascinating how a non story becomes headline news only to become a non story again within 24 hours. Yesterday there was shock and horror that having spent almost €17 million on outdoor spaces, alcohol could not be served outdoors. The usual moan brigade were on, GRA, RAI, actually Adrian Cummins promoted to morning Ireland sound bites.

Constance Cassidy SC has spoken, she's by far the best expert on licensing laws in Ireland, over to you local Authorities, welcome back Claire :)

The problem isn't serving drink; it's the aftermath. Barrister Cassidy really knows her stuff her and was well able to dissect it and clearly lay it all down for us.

The problem isn't serving drink; it's the aftermath. Barrister Cassidy really knows her stuff her and was well able to dissect it and clearly lay it all down for us.

She does, I've used her but the problem was actually a licensing issue raised by Garda HQ yesterday which ballooned into farce. There was not a mention of what happens afterwards, just a complete misinterpretion of what the law means regarding drinking alcohol in these new outdoor spaces. I suspect some red faces in Garda HQ today. The problem now is its a Bylaws issue which in fairness garda HQ did mention in their statement. Regardless its simply astonishing this issue only being raised now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"oh my gosh" says Claire
    very american

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

just let the senator ramble on and don't ask any difficult questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

just let the senator ramble on and don't ask any difficult questions

As usual, a balanced debate on traveller issues. Should have got councillor Ken O’Flynn from Cork cc on to talk about the shenanigans going on in that Spring lane site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Real Comical Ali stuff from this lad re. 999 calls being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This “doctor Pat leahy” - a former assistant garda commissioner apparently - is a bit of a loud mouth

Roaring and shouting down the phone line

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This “doctor Pat leahy” a former assistant garda commissioner apparently is a bit of a loud mouth

Roaring and shouting down the phone line

‘Battering the mic’. Reminds me of oHeadhra a bit.

Using the ‘bullhorn voice’ I think is the term used.

‘Battering the mic’. Reminds me of oHeadhra a bit.

Using the ‘bullhorn voice’ I think is the term used.

That pilots Union guy Evan Cullen is similar

No need for a microphone - just bellow away...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Love island not woke enough

Good grief

a preview of “love island” .... with Claire enthusiastically looking for the “goss”

The transformation of RTÉs former flagship current affairs show into something resembling a yellow pack “exposè” continues apace

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

sligojoek wrote: »
    Love island not woke enough

And from a "podcaster" no less.

• Advertisement

The show continues its descent into “cheeky bantz at the tanning salon” levels of discourse

Come back SOR all is forgiven !

Advertisement