Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

It’s the same auld problem Mr T.

It’s only those who take care of themselves, work hard to get the qualifications to get good money, and who have anything who are worth sueing.

No use suing losers.

I don't think that is very fair.

I may be wrong. But my understanding is that the state brought in self regulation. Us all being free market PD capalalists in the late 90s and early 00s believing in small government and what not.

The builders self certifieed and built dodgy houses. With a lot of them folding after 2008.

Had the state not brought in self regulation. The houses wouldn't of been built sub standard. The state messed up. And you can't sue a company that hasn't existed since 2008.

The home owners are all tax payers who need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

touts wrote: »
    Men can't get Maternity leave.
    You can't buy drink without ID to prove you are over 18.
    You can't vote if you are under 18.
    You can't travel overseas without a valid passport.
    You can't drive without a valid driving licence.

Go moan about your human rights and equality somewhere else.
    I beg your pardon? I'm not the one name calling. I pointed out a list of things where the state does not give equality and you get offended.

Just to point out that -

1- parental leave is available to men.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parents_leave.html

2- The necessity to carry a passport is a requirement of international law and no government can enable their citizens to travel without one.

3- The right to vote, drive and buy drink are regulated in every country I am aware of and have never been challenged on the grounds of equality or human rights in any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I bought a house built by the cheapest bidder I could find. Now it turns out it is falling apart. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE!!! WHO WILL COMPENSATE ME!!!!

FECK Off. Go sue your builder.

Makes no difference who build the house, the best builder in the country wouldn't be able to tell if there was mica in the blocks or the concrete as it takes years before it appears.

I don't think that is very fair.

I may be wrong. But my understanding is that the state brought in self regulation. Us all being free market PD capalalists in the late 90s and early 00s believing in small government and what not.

The builders self certifieed and built dodgy houses. With a lot of them folding after 2008.

Had the state not brought in self regulation. The houses wouldn't of been built sub standard. The state messed up. And you can't sue a company that hasn't existed since 2008.

The home owners are all tax payers who need help.

Whilst I agree with this, I wish a broadcaster would put it to the misfortunate householders that the state's liability here is pretty remote, it isn't a legal responsibility, only a moral one.

So in that case, lets reach a compromise. Why not offer to build a housing estate (or estates) for the affected householders, free of charges and transferring full ownership.

It's a waste of money to hand out cash grants to pay for each householder to repeat the work hundreds of times. It would be a more efficient use of resources for the state to tender for contracts to build a few estates instead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Things are bad when they are rolling out Eamon Ryan for interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

I think Claire's about to vomit listening to the story about rats and mice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

Just a reminder to keep it civil, take a look at the charter if anyone needs a reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

pc7 wrote: »
    Things are bad when they are rolling out Eamon Ryan for interview.

Just seen the clip of him cleaning his glasses with his mask on her show yesterday. The man is beyond saving....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Shelga

Another caller saying how awful covid is now he’s contracted it, blah blah blah- really feels like RTE is the propaganda wing of the government at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Shelga wrote: »
    Another caller saying how awful covid is now he’s contracted it, blah blah blah- really feels like RTE is the propaganda wing of the government at this stage!

It was Enda Brady from Sky News, did she ask him if he had been vaccinated?
    Propaganda wing is a good name for it, Morning Ireland talking about the inevitable fourth wave earlier. What is their motivation for this scaremongering when almost half of the population are fully vaccinated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

What makes a good GAA county song? The important matters, eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

What makes a good GAA county song? The important matters, eh :rolleyes:

More suited to Darcy's show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

amlinopta wrote: »
    Propaganda wing is a good name for it, Morning Ireland talking about the inevitable fourth wave earlier. What is their motivation for this scaremongering when almost half of the population are fully vaccinated?

Hardly scaremongering highlighting that a man in great health has been completely floored by a virus, having been very careful for the past 18 months. He had received one dose of AZ. Andrew Marr was fully vaccinated and has Covid.

High profile journalists using their experiences to get people to cop on and listen can surely only be a positive thing?

sligojoek wrote: »
    More suited to Darcy's show

It would even drag his show down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

must have run out of news ! sure theres nothing going on

edit: thats it off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

amlinopta wrote: »
    He's a regular contributor to the show? It's not like they picked some random person.

The narrative from some the whole way through has been this has only affected the old and those with underlying conditions. No harm in a few reminders that fit and active people can be wiped by it, and easily contract it outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Macy0161 wrote: »
    He's a regular contributor to the show? It's not like they picked some random person.

The narrative from some the whole way through has been this has only affected the old and those with underlying conditions. No harm in a few reminders that fit and active people can be wiped by it, and easily contract it outside.

The timing of the interview is the thing.

I think we all know the seriousness of the virus for a minority of people.

Other countries do not have these types of interviews.

This country has been so conservative about the whole thing.

The timing of the interview is the thing.

I think we all know the seriousness of the virus for a minority of people.

Other countries do not have these types of interviews.

This country has been so conservative about the whole thing.

Just saw him on VM 1.

He was training for a marathon last weekend now he is out of breath walking to the bathroom.

Listen up.

elperello wrote: »
    Just saw him on VM 1.

He was training for a marathon last weekend now he is out of breath walking to the bathroom.

Listen up.

What do you mean by listen up?

I wouldn't wish the person any badness but not everyone should feel scared by health related stories.

We know that a small minority get the virus bad. We've listened. We know. Get off your high horse.

One day in January reported 8,000 cases. It wasn't 8,000 cases a day.

Usual hysteria.

• Advertisement

Claire is really worried about Switzerland in the 5PM game but she reckons we should all support England regardless :rolleyes:

What do you mean by listen up?

I wouldn't wish the person any badness but not everyone should feel scared by health related stories.

We know that a small minority get the virus bad. We've listened. We know. Get off your high horse.

No offence intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭bossdrum

Claire is really worried about Switzerland in the 5PM game but she reckons we should all support England regardless :rolleyes:

Well whatever about the average Irish person supporting England or not, it's a bit pathetic Barry Glenndenning not supporting them. He lives and works in England and is reasonably successful over there.
    Imagine a Polish person living here hoping and boasting on the media that Ireland lose their matches.

Glendenning was also another person tweeting about the Carlow school uniform story and then saying it must be true as it was in all the media.
    Of course he has since quietly deleted the tweet but the damage has already been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Just saw him on VM 1.

Listen up.

and a tiny tiny minority of people in their thirties etc drop dead from " sudden adult death syndrome "

hard cases make bad policy

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    and a tiny tiny minority of people in their thirties etc drop dead from " sudden adult death syndrome "

hard cases make bad policy

You can't contract "sads" by contact with another person so it's probably not the best example but I see what you mean.

My point wasn't that the Government should make policy based on hard cases.

I think the interviews with Enda Brady were good public service broadcasting and we should take his story into consideration in making personal choices.

We can do a lot to protect ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Claire was full on no travel, no indoors dining today it was actually funny. Never once have I heard her ask a comment as to why has Ireland the harshest restrictions in EU.

Josepha Madigan was painful during the gathering today, kept cutting across Peadar Toibin who made some very good points at how much government messed up this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Klonker wrote: »
    Claire was full on no travel, no indoors dining today it was actually funny. Never once have I heard her ask a comment as to why has Ireland the harshest restrictions in EU.

Josepha Madigan was painful during the gathering today, kept cutting across Peadar Toibin who made some very good points at how much government messed up this week.

Josepha Madigan was excellent on today's show ,Peadar was weak with one mis step after another , finally having to agree with Josepha that he would have done the same thing as the government if he was in power.

As for Mark Paul ,he who claimed to be an essential worker, was incomprehensibly naive in misquoting Josepha and ended with a point that was conspiracy theory territory.

Someone should have told him that he was on TV for this part of the show , think spoilt child having a strop in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

You can't contract "sads" by contact with another person so it's probably not the best example but I see what you mean.

My point wasn't that the Government should make policy based on hard cases.

I think the interviews with Enda Brady were good public service broadcasting and we should take his story into consideration in making personal choices.

We can do a lot to protect ourselves.

Did she ask him if he was vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Did she ask him if he was vaccinated?

Yes, apparently he got a dose of AstraZeneca back in Apil I think and was just due his second dose when he got the Covid. I know covid affects everyone in different ways but it's pretty concerning that he got it so bad even with a dose of vaccine. Apparently fit all his life and runs regularly. Which makes you wonder what bright spark in the HSE here thought it OK to have hundreds of thousands of people in their 60s still awaiting a second vaccine.

• Advertisement

Klonker wrote: »

Coincidentally she's after a few weeks break herself.

Advertisement