Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Excellent synopsis Mr M….. nailed it.

If we all learned ONE THING over the last few decades it’s ‘Pat doesn’t do self regulation’

I keep saying “Why are the clampers so hated” Because they will fit the iron boot on Pats slab and won’t listen to the auld plá mas shïte when he’s caught.

Look at the gimps going thru the M50 tolls and not paying……thousands of letters sent.

Time these slots were put behind bars and the compliant folk not being penalized for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think their windows, doors, etc should be re-used provided they still have structural integrity and function as they're supposed to. Maybe they have been warped though with the pressure of concrete down upon them at varying levels. Or maybe they havent and owners are just spotting an opportunity to upgrade their double glazed windows to A-rated triple glazed ones.

I also think the current government offer of 90% is more than generous and they should take it instead of this stuff of pushing for 100%. If the house is worth 250k I dont think asking them to take out a credit union loan for 25k is all that onerous given the taxpayer is stumping up 90%. If I was in that situation Id take the hit and get the works started now and get back into a house that is finally your home rather than prolonging the battle for the extra 10%. But the mica protestors are not for turning and they know if they shout loud and shout long enough then they will get the full 100% and its clear that is what is going to happen now.

There has been similar cases recently to this in the UK where lots of entire apartment buildings have been found to have defective fire retardant insulation (this came out of building surveys that were done after the Grenfell fire that killed 79 people). The remedial costs are running to GBP80k per apartment owner in some cases, especially in smaller developments with less owners. The govt there has told them tough titties, we're not bailing you out, sue the building supply company.

So in the grand scheme of things the mica protestors should bite the arm of the government off for the 90% redress. They are already going to end up with a home that is built to much high building regulations than what we had in the Tiger years. But thats not enough for them and they're pushing for the full cost to be borne by the taxpayer. I think we are going to be on the hook for somewhere around 1.5 billion by the time all this plays out, its quite the hit so I dont think asking them for 10% to share the pain even a little bit is asking all that much in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Tom, will you self regulate there and make sure everything is above board?

I will of course. No bother at all, t'will be grand so it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

With the caveat they are probably somewhat rabbits in the headlights interviewed for the National Broadcaster, it certainly came across as though they were wanting to upgrade the windows, rather than them being structurally defective. Something along the lines "we can't be expected to put old windows in a new house".

ah yeah I get you, give an inch and people try to take a mile, etc. Windows have a life cycle of around 25 years, Im sure the current ones are grand but they're probably looking at newer fancy anthracite windows that the neighbours have and thinking 'we'd love them'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They should absolutely be reusing their existing windows and doors unless they wish to replace at their own cost. 'Compensation' for remedial works should be strictly limited to the actual minimum required to stabilise the structural elements and there should also be a limit on size - 150m2 total floor area is considered a reasonable size for a domestic house. No more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,869 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Windows and doors are engineered elements of a building.

The glass and frames derive their thermal and structural efficiency from correct installation in a stable well constructed building.

The windows and doors in question have been in an unstable structure for some years.

The windows and doors were never designed to be removed from buildings and there is no guaranteed method to preserve their structural integrity during the removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Clare saying it's a tough auld slog from January to Paddy's day bank holiday...how would she know?

The whole "we are behind europe on number of bank holidays" is the dumbest thing considering we carry bank holidays over to the monday whereas they don't in some other countries. We have one of the highest number of bank holidays in Europe taking that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

€3.2 BILLION to fix the Mica houses in Donegal.

They must be planning to rebuild every house in the **** county! It's like the old story of the 2 seater plane that crashed into a graveyard and so far the death toll has reached 5,678.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If only a massive company owed Ireland a massive amount of money that was sitting in an escrow account right now while our government fight not to get paid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

The number of times the Shinners have promised to pay for something using that money I think we are looking at another graveyard situation. Anyway even if Apple/Ireland lose that case most of the money is being claimed by our EU "partners". Very little would come to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I think it's been spent about fifty times here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You and pussyhands haven't a clue what you're chatting about.

The fact that "cowboy builders" are mentioned proves the point.

Were you all up in arms when the Pyrite home owners in Leinster got 100% redress several years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Neal Richmond is some drama queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭archfi

He has some neck 'demanding Bridges be truthful' when he made a show of himself on national TV demanding viewers believe Zappone wasn't offered a handy in at the UN.

Thick neck on him.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Richmond well versed and able to lecture UK on what it should be doing.

Imagine an English MP talking the way he is about us..

Richmond has lost the run of himself and he is an embarrassment to the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Thought the whole segment was badly moderated by Claire

Now there’s a surprise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

All you lads who are happy for the taxpayer to pay for brand new mansions for everyone in Donegal, how about you all pay extra tax while those of us who think it's a sham they expect 100% and unlimited budgets can opt out. How about that?

• Advertisement

I think you’ll find the cheerleaders who are happy for JQTaxpayer to foot the bill………….don’t pay any tax!

Excluding VAT………😎

I pay tax. I'd be happy for tax to go up and for the tax net to be widened to cover 100% redress. Do I win a prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Good loser

I would suggest a 50% surcharge on the LPT for however number of years it takes to cover the costs. Akin to levy on insurance policies to pay for company failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Was listening back to yesterday's segment on the Pandora Papers with Luke Harding, Correspondent with the Guardian. In his opening introduction when he was discussing Putin's lover and how they hid their wealth, he name-checked Ireland as a location used as one of Putin's off-shore locations. You would think an Irish journalist, in Ireland, on Ireland's largest station might want to learn more about what Luke meant when he mentioned Ireland, but no - Claire asked to learn more about Putin's lover.

Toward the end of the interview, he again name-checked Ireland and our role as a de facto offshore tax haven the rich use for tax avoidance, and how governments around the world, "including Ireland" would have to look at how they run their affairs which facilitates these wealthy individuals in tax avoidance. Again, Claire didn't say anything whatsoever about what he meant or how Ireland was a cog in this system.

I'm sure the folks on Twitter would cry conspiracy or RTE is the virus problem but I think the reality of it is that Claire is a weak interviewer who is more suited to chatting to chefs or holiday correspondents than anything related to politics or the business world. A shame really but it's a problem with our media in general, I'd consider Matt Cooper as another example of a broadcast journalist who is similarly as weak in the political sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

They just had an interview with one of the Mica protesters. Not sure if it was deliberate but they went for a sterotypical loud and aggressive chap. Don't think it helps their cause. (not arguing the rights and wrongs of it, I'm not educated enough on it all, but when I hear an instantly aggressive speaker, I tend to want to side against them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

I couldn't agree about Cooper. In fact hes one of the better ones.

...and now it's a discussion about the singer Adele. Which features talking about her weight. While also saying we shouldn't be talking about her weight. Bit weird to me.

Very good summary Byrne and RTE as a whole pretty much ignored the Pandora Papers and Ireland being a tax haven

Yes, the doctrine "he who shouts the loudest" is still seemingly held in high regard by certain circles in RTE today

• Advertisement

It's a shame, I love to listen to a back and forth debate/chat to help educate myself on things I know nothing about. That's what I've always loved about 'talk radio'. I find the dumbing down / magazine style shows very frustrating. SOR and McInerney I found great. Even some of the LBC presenters occasionally do their job!

I guess that's what I get for getting old!

Advertisement