Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for breed of ram???

• 21-08-2020 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

looking for people's opinions please?
    I've a bunch of rouge x texel ewes, lambing for there 2nd time next spring hopefully. Used a blue texel last year.
    What would people suggest as a suitable breed of ram for them? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Farmer Dan wrote: »
    looking for people's opinions please?
    I've a bunch of rouge x texel ewes, lambing for there 2nd time next spring hopefully. Used a blue texel last year.
    What would people suggest as a suitable breed of ram for them? Thanks

How did the blue texels dofl first thing? I'd probably go texel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Ard_MC wrote: »
    How did the blue texels dofl first thing? I'd probably go texel.

I was happy enough with them & I still have the ram. Just think the didnt grow that big, definitely have good shape but slow enough to get weight on them.
    They all Lambed as hoggets for the 1st time last year.
    Just wondering would they have better lambs next time to the same ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

I would think so. I'd chance them to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Chartex or charollais x beltex and you’d have the growth of the charollais come through without the real bare heads. I wouldn’t go pure charollais as you have rouge blood in the ewes which could leave them very bare unless you’re not Lambing till April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Young95

Good Dorset ram . They have the best growth rates from just forage out of all the breeds of sheep .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Young95 wrote: »
    Good Dorset ram . They have the best growth rates from just forage out of all the breeds of sheep .

How do you find them? Always found them to be soft and some of the lambs were as dirty as Suffolk lambs. The ones that do well can be easy fleshed but always seen too much variation between the best and the tail end of them

How do you find them? Always found them to be soft and some of the lambs were as dirty as Suffolk lambs. The ones that do well can be easy fleshed but always seen too much variation between the best and the tail end of them

Fine them good . There’s a good bit of dirt and bad genetics ones around from inbreeding but the right tight skin ram and is very masculine the lambs be powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

Bought 2 Dorset rams last weekend, brought both of them home in the back of the van, no problem, quiet rams. Do the Dorset ewe lambs sell for a premium ?
    Fellow I bought them from breeds his PB's twice in 14 months. Would the ewe lambs from these rams breed out of season or do they have to have more than 50% Dorset before they can breed all year.

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Bought 2 Dorset rams last weekend, brought both of them home in the back of the van, no problem, quiet rams. Do the Dorset ewe lambs sell for a premium ?
    Fellow I bought them from breeds his PB's twice in 14 months. Would the ewe lambs from these rams breed out of season or do they have to have more than 50% Dorset before they can breed all year.
    yea the ewe lambs are valuable alright. Can I ask what the rams you bought were like ? Are they strong and masculine with good length and width ?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

Young95 wrote: »
    yea the ewe lambs are valuable alright. Can I ask what the rams you bought were like ? Are they strong and masculine with good length and width ?

No, average just. I payed €200 a piece for them, they are strong but I’ve seen bigger Dorset rams.

• Advertisement
Advertisement