Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ram not working

Options
  • 21-08-2020 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭

I had 2gb,1gb in each slot in my my laptop Toshiba pro200 windows 7, so i tried to add 4gb ,2gb in each slot,so put in 2 new 2gbin each slot now wont boot, so i took 1 2gb out leaving just 1 2gb and it booted, so it works if i put in just 1 of the new 2gb but not 2, also tried 1 new 2gb and 1 old 1gb to make 3gb, wont boot, any ideas why? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

It still boots with the old chips, done windows diagnostic test on both new ram , No faults, but both in together , no boot.
    on new memory sticks 2GB PC2 2RX8 6400S 666 12 FO DDR2, im running my laptop now on only one of the new sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Could it be this
    Two DDRII SO-DIMM, up to 4GB with Intel®945PM/GM Express Chipset; up to 2GB with Intel 943GML Express Chipset can be upgraded through the memory expansion slot. You need to remove existing SO-DIMM if SO-DIMM is Maximum upgradable system memory size is depending on the system you purchased.

Could it be this

The info i could find on laptop is intel celeron 520 @160 ghz
    ACPI x64-based PC
    Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GU/PM/GMS/940GML/943GML and Intel(R) 945GT Express Processor to DRAM Controller - 27A0

is this the chipset?

Get yourself CPU-Z, it'll read whats there
    sample:
    mainboard2.jpg

With CPU Z, chipset intel i943/940GML rev 03, so is my laptop only up to 2GB?

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    With CPU Z, chipset intel i943/940GML rev 03, so is my laptop only up to 2GB?
    Seams like you out of luck. :eek:

Seams like you out of luck. :eek:

Should have asked on here first before buying it, 2Gb only jesus!

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Should have asked on here first before buying it, 2Gb only jesus!
    Yeh, would save some hasle/money.
    But what do you expect from low end system that is 13 year old...

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27977/intel-celeron-m-processor-520-1m-cache-1-60-ghz-533-mhz-fsb.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27876/intel-82940gml-graphics-and-memory-controller.html

13 years old, hardly broken in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My own laptop is 14 years old. I was wondering how you had the same chipset as me. I rarely use my laptop though. Boot it up every now and then for the craic.

• Advertisement

My own laptop is 14 years old. I was wondering how you had the same chipset as me. I rarely use my laptop though. Boot it up every now and then for the craic.

I just use for emails/boards, paid €45 for it 2yrs ago, thought abit more memory might speed it up ,have to leave plug in as battery is dead, apart from that still does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

SSD but you won't get the full speeds due to only being SATA II but still faster than a spinning rust. What OS you running?

Windows 10 for me slowed it down a lot. I am running Linux Mint on mine.

Even if you get SSD and if you could get extra 2 GB RAM your processor will remain bottleneck.

Running windows 7, Drive Sandisk SSDSSDPO64G.

Advertisement