Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly 6,000 women in Ireland have suffered Female Genital Mutilation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It's clearly not 6000 per annum, so it looks like you're pushing an agenda and aren't going to let facts get in the way.
    Fair enough point, thought that the OP states 6k (pa).

The figure relates to since 2016 (4 yrs).

According to Central Statistics Office (CSO) data from 2016, an estimated 5,790 women and girls living in Ireland have suffered FGM.
    This is still a high figure, regardless, consider also just x1 conviction.

A quick google, also shows that as many as 1,632 girls living in Ireland are currently estimated to be at 'high risk of FGM' (via CEO of development charity Actionaid).
    Isn't there a better duty of care to protect these 1,600 circa girls from harm?

The muslim population in Ireland is just over 60,000 total. How do you think it is happening at a rate of 6,000/annum?
    See above, discovered/corrected that the figure relates to a 4yr period.
    Is circa 6k (over 4yrs), with just 1 single conviction in any way acceptable?

source: https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30978150.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Das Reich wrote: »
    He is right actually. After the video of Theresa May wishing happy ramadan to muslim in UK you can see that those politicians are very affraid to deal with them.

https://youtu.be/_AWsEWvV8Zc

no they aren't.
    wishing a muslim happy ramadan is the biggest non-issue going.
    absolutely scraping under the barrel here so you are.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

According to Central Statistics Office (CSO) data from 2016, an estimated 5,790 women and girls living in Ireland have suffered FGM.

A quick google, also shows that as many as 1,632 girls living in Ireland are currently estimated to be at 'high risk of FGM' (via CEO of development charity Actionaid).

I refer you to post #2.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

To study more history, specially the bombing of Normandy by yankees that killed 75.000 civilians leaving 200.000 orphans.

so because the yanks killed civilians which was completely wrong, the nazis are a great bunch of lads?
    grow up.
    It just shows they are affraid to deal with them.

how does it?
    it's simply wishing muslim people a happy ramadan, how does that corelate to being afraid to deal with "them" and what sort of dealing with of "them" do you want exactly?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

i'd like to know what % was 'at home', is it all? do hospitals offer that?

barbaric behavior, ****ing animals. arrest those responsible and prosecute them for GBH.

and shame on anyone who defends that.

I hope the females involved can live a full life.

Its the women that do it to the girls....... think about it.

I refer you to post #2.
    From that, your 4th point suggests that
    'They investigate any situation where such practice is suspected'
    What's the chance that the 1,600 or so currently viewed or suspected as bing as in a high risk category, will be monitored and consulted.

If any from this 'high risk group' are mutilated, also what's the chance of any convictions (considering the current lowly x1 total rate to date).

The law (if not already) should include FGM that takes place abroad.
    Upon return the relatives who took the youngster out of the country for this procedure, should be held accountable upon their return.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

its not a fair enough point!

1 is too many.

5790...who are the people that carried out that 'procedure'. that's who i'd be looking for, ****ing scumbags!

a TD hitting the beer at a golf outing during a pandemic, vs mutilating a woman.

why do so few people care?!

Its the women that do it to the girls....... think about it.

i dont give a **** if its a male/female/or whatever; its barbaric. there's no defence.

it should be prosecuted under the harshest possible laws!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

How bloody dare any of you judge other people's cultural practices, ever heard of the Magdalene Laundries??!

• Advertisement

How bloody dare any of you judge other people's cultural practices, ever heard of the Magdalene Laundries??!

Yes.

Can you point me to anybody arguing that they should have been allowed to continue?

i dont give a **** if its a male/female/or whatever; its barbaric. there's no defence.

Think this is the 3rd time you have said similar.

Nobody is defending the practice of FGM.

I am not defending it, I am suggesting it is ingrained into the culture and you will not remove it as easily as you think.

Think this is the 3rd time you have said similar.

Nobody is defending the practice of FGM.

what are your own views on it?

i've made mine clear 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

It just shows they are affraid to deal with them.

I'm sorry but we are at man in the pub level of discussion here. How exactly does a former UK prime ministers acknowledgement of a religious holiday belonging to some of her citizens come into the discussion around FGM in Ireland? Who are "they" and "them"? I presume the "them" are Muslims in your eyes? Any chance of having a look at the origins of FGM and who practices it and where? It predates Christianity and Islam and is practiced by many groups.

https://www.unfpa.org/resources/female-genital-mutilation-fgm-frequently-asked-questions

"And although FGM is often perceived as being connected to Islam, perhaps because it is practiced among many Muslim groups, not all Islamic groups practice FGM, and many non-Islamic groups do, including some Christians, Ethiopian Jews, and followers of certain traditional African religions."

what are your own views on it?

i've made mine clear 3 times.

I refer you to post #2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Clearly it isn't otherwise they wouldn't be able to build Mosques and have Halal butchers here.

Mosques and Halal butchers carry out FGM? Are you suggesting we stamp out FGM or the religion entirely?

I am not defending it, I am suggesting it is ingrained into the culture and you will not remove it as easily as you think.

its illegal and prosecute it as such.

re the wider culture/world, yeah i agree. am i going to run off on a crusade to rid the world to mutilating women? No.

that culture though, should not be accepted in any place on the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You don't need sharia law to have mosques or halal butchers??

What do you think they practice their faith and business according too? Its amazing how willfully ignorant some people are when it comes to Muslims.

Does anyone remember Dr Ali Selim from Trinity advocating for FGM about 3 years back before they either sacked him or gave him leave?

• Advertisement

I'm fully in favour of a dark AF medieval take on justice for anyone taking a sharp instrument to a child's genitalia.

Who the hell can possibly think it's okay to cut pieces off a child because of some ridiculous beliefs or backwards cultural practices?

They should all be jailed as child abusers, the parents and whoever injures the child. Their names should be on a public register to ensure anyone sharing space with them in or out of prison knows what they've done.

That'd be a better outcome for them than what I'd do if I could get away with it. Imagine cutting a childs flesh and removing parts of them because you think it'll make them more attractive, healthier or closer to your nonsensical god.

I'd hurt them very, very badly.

its illegal and prosecute it as such.

re the wider culture/world, yeah i agree. am i going to run off on a crusade to rid the world to mutilating women? No.

that culture though, should not be accepted in any place on the world.

We cant jail potentially 12,000 parents. imagine the cost and for how long. Send them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Does anyone remember Dr Ali Selim from Trinity advocating for FGM about 3 years back before they either sacked him or gave him leave?
    I do. Cnut of the highest order. Why TCD hired him to "teach", I will never understand. If he's no longer employed by Trinity, great. If he's still on the books, why? The man is a backwards fcucking cnut.

I do. Cnut of the highest order. Why TCD hired him to "teach", I will never understand. If he's no longer employed by Trinity, great. If he's still on the books, why? The man is a backwards fcucking cnut.

No, they "chose" not renew his contract. He took Trinity to the labour court and won two years salary for unfair dismissal. Trinity claimed there wasnt sufficent interest in his course.

You need to understand how colleges are financed. It is not due to Government investment or student fees but commerical/industrial investment. When you take the money you also have to teach what the company want you to teach grads.

We cant jail potentially 12,000 parents. imagine the cost and for how long. Send them home.

Chain gangs.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    What do you think they practice their faith and business according too? Its amazing how willfully ignorant some people are when it comes to Muslims.

Do you think ALL Muslims practise under sharia law? Genuine question

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Do you think ALL Muslims practise under sharia law? Genuine question

I think all muslim are subject to Sharia law the same way as all soldiers are subject to military law. If you arent observant then you are in a grey area. I am under canon law as a Catholic, but I could not quote you one part of it.

I dont think this is a religious thing but is specific to East Africa and pre dates both Islam and Christianity. I am guessing the tax payer has to pick up for it. If I crash my car in a one car collision head on in a flat piece of road, should the Irish taxpayer have to pay for me to repair my car or buy me a new one?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think all muslim are subject to Sharia law the same way as all soldiers are subject to military law. If you arent observant then you are in a grey area. I am under canon law as a Catholic, but I could not quote you one part of it.

Its not the same as military law, and its very much a kin to the a la carte Catholicism we have here. Of course there are devotes in all religions though.

I think your second point is the most valid.

This isn't solely an extreme Muslim practise. It's much more a cultural geographical practise which originated in central Africa. Its purely misogynistic. But Its sometimes also carried out under other religions too, even some Christian ones.

So wanting to paint it with the broad brush of sharia law is just ignorant. The vast majority of Muslims view this practise as barbaric, and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 35,078 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

See above, discovered/corrected that the figure relates to a 4yr period.

No it doesn't. It's 6000 who have suffered it at any time in their lives, the vast majority before they came here.

It's really not hard to understand.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,078 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes.

Can you point me to anybody arguing that they should have been allowed to continue?

One poster who shall remain nameless immediately comes to mind.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement