Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly 6,000 women in Ireland have suffered Female Genital Mutilation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Basically it's out of sight, out of mind for Irish people, whether it's travellers' bad behaviour, drugs, this issue etc...

Problems with migrants are only going to get worse. There's no plan in place to deal with all these people coming here. Just like everything in this country it will be mismanaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

https://www.unfpa.org/resources/female-genital-mutilation-fgm-frequently-asked-questions

"And although FGM is often perceived as being connected to Islam, perhaps because it is practiced among many Muslim groups, not all Islamic groups practice FGM, and many non-Islamic groups do, including some Christians, Ethiopian Jews, and followers of certain traditional African religions."
    Unfortunately, this is political obfustication. FGM is largely a problem that occurs within Islam, with many Muslims believing the practice is required by their religion. Because that's what they were brought up believing.

In fairness, the UN has at least formally committed to ending the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,078 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Basically it's out of sight, out of mind for Irish people, whether it's travellers' bad behaviour, drugs, this issue etc...

Problems with migrants are only going to get worse. There's no plan in place to deal with all these people coming here. Just like everything in this country it will be mismanaged.

Do you have any issue with the thousands of EU nationals coming to work here, or is it some other sort of immigrant you have a difficulty with?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

Do you have any issue with the thousands of EU nationals coming to work here, or is it some other sort of immigrant you have a difficulty with?

EU citizens are legally entitled to come here, or indeed go to any other EU country; now, in theory, they need a job to sustain themselves, and are not (or should not be) entitled to benefits.
    This does not apply to non-EU immigrants. They have no automatic right to be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Odhinn wrote: »

That is better than the UK which has had zero until last year with vastly more Moslems and other cultures who can do similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I'm not sure who exactly you think is reporting the incidents which occur in this country. The parents aren't going to report themselves; the child is not likely to report their parents; and whoever they find to carry out the procedure is likely not going to report anyone either.

It is already illegal and has also been denounced by relevant organisations in Ireland such as the Irish Muslim Peace and Integration Council.

I haven't seen male genital mutilation mentioned in this thread either; which isn't illegal here and doesn't seem likely to be made illegal either. I guess Jewish and Western Christian Culture is exempt from outrage when it comes to harming children for non medical reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

ronivek wrote: »
    I haven't seen male genital mutilation mentioned in this thread either; which isn't illegal here and doesn't seem likely to be made illegal either. I guess Jewish and Western Christian Culture is exempt from outrage when it comes to harming children for non medical reasons.
    Indeed, there's many ways the issue could be framed.

At one level, it's something that women inflict on each other. I'm not sure how long it could last if mothers just stopped requesting it for their daughters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 engleburt

Am i in the minority for not caring one bit that Muslims are mutilating the genitals of their women?
    Its their culture, let them at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

engleburt wrote: »
    Am i in the minority for not caring one bit that Muslims are mutilating the genitals of their women?
    Its their culture, let them at it.

Well if they were going to pay for it themselves, but they are from east Africa so it is going to end up on the tax payers doorstep (6000+). Its more about Geographic location than anything else and I guess the tradition predates both Islam and Christianity. Dr Ali Selim said it was ok to do it in some circumstances and he should know being a Trinity Lecturer in Islamic Studies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 engleburt

Dr Ali Selim said it was ok to do it in some circumstances and he should know being a Trinity Lecturer in Islamic Studies.

The leftist people bring in third world people , they bring their third world practices and culture with them and the these same leftist people are up in arms about these third world people with their third world practices , do they not see the madness of their position?
    If you want muslims here you have to accept all of the muslim ways, its their culture , let them at it.
    In a way its a good thing, bring a bit of reality to the leftist do-gooders, the white western Christian world is not as bad as they believe in there warped minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ronivek wrote: »
    I'm not sure who exactly you think is reporting the incidents which occur in this country. The parents aren't going to report themselves; the child is not likely to report their parents; and whoever they find to carry out the procedure is likely not going to report anyone either.

It is already illegal and has also been denounced by relevant organisations in Ireland such as the Irish Muslim Peace and Integration Council.

Of course it is - it doesnt fit the narrative of ranting and raving about Islam or Immigrants.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Irish feminists:

Butchering young girls is meh
    Gender paygap now that's a headline

Maybe if we tell them about how to shove tampons right up it will sort everything out?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

JJayoo wrote: »
    Irish feminists:

Butchering young girls is meh

have you got a source to show that irish feminists as a whole aren't bothered about fgm? thanks.
    Gender paygap now that's a headline

and rightly so where such a gap exists, there is no justification for a woman with the same experience doing the same job to the same level and expectations to be payed less then a man doing the same.
    Maybe if we tell them about how to shove tampons right up it will sort everything out?

fo-outrage much.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've no interest in having a pop at normal Muslims in Ireland who practice Islam. I've also got no problem with pursuing and prosecuting anyone who engages in FGM.

It's really easy to see the right things to do in this situation. Raise awareness and make sure everyone knows it's absolutely not acceptable in Ireland and you'll be prosecuted ot cough. Get the mosques on board, Delighted the people were prosecuted. I hope it happens to anyone else who does it in Ireland.

I'd wonder about how much of it happens abroad. But there's not much we can do about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I'd wonder about how much of it happens abroad. But there's not much we can do about that.
    Sweden has specific legislation that will be enforced if a young one is taken out of the country 'to visit relatives abroad for the summer hols' but comes back mutilated. That (ideally or theoretically) protects their new citizens, wherever the butchery happens to take place in the world.

However, wouldn't be too confident on actual convictions, even with this, even with their growing numbers/incidences. Any regular medical examination of at risk individuals, likely wouldn't go down too well within their community.

Way back at primary boy's school the Nurse that came to do the final eyetests, jabs and sugar cube vaccine thingy also did a quick dip to check all the lads (guardian present) to make sure they had two lucky charms below. A simple harmless 5 seconds health check.

Guess a Nurse could easily health check the girls school also, where there is a percentage at risk, but suspect this would result in placard protests and flamethrowers at the gates from some communities.

Not long ago a school in Birmingham (uk hast thousands of cases of fgm per annum) was closed down due to a simple offensive book/lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Perhaps a ban on unnecessary cosmetic surgery for all minors, regardless of sex, ought to be brought in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Why are we allowing these people in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

have you got a source to show that irish feminists as a whole aren't bothered about fgm? thanks.

and rightly so where such a gap exists, there is no justification for a woman with the same experience doing the same job to the same level and expectations to be payed less then a man doing the same.

fo-outrage much.

You do get that it's illegal to pay someone less based on gender? It doesn't happen. This is compo culture ireland any woman paid less on the basis of her gender would bring her employer to the courts.

And my source on wither or not Irish feminists care about fgm? How about the silence around it, nothing on social media, don't see many marches. Plenty of matches and blanket media coverage for blm, an issue 5000kms away.

My point is that real issues,such as FGM, will always get trumped by more 'glamorous' issues and the ability to virtue signal about such issues

bigpink wrote: »

which people?
    You do get that it's illegal to pay someone less based on gender? It doesn't happen. This is compo culture ireland any woman paid less on the basis of her gender would bring her employer to the courts.

And my source on wither or not Irish feminists care about fgm? How about the silence around it, nothing on social media, don't see many marches. Plenty of matches and blanket media coverage for blm, an issue 5000kms away.

My point is that real issues,such as FGM, will always get trumped by more 'glamorous' issues and the ability to virtue signal about such issues

compo culture ireland still equals people getting compensation because they are entitled to it because something happened to them that should not have done so and could have been avoided.
    if a gender paygap is being discussed and individuals are being compensated then it means, i'm afraid, it is happening.
    paying someone less specifically because of gender is illegal, however there are ways to get around it and one has to specifically prove that it is happening, they can't simply walk in and claim it is happening.
    nothing on social media about a subject people know little about and which is already illegal here is not a source, all though how you know there is nothing about it on social media as a whole, when social media is absolutely massive and it would be impossible to go through it all, is a mystery.
    few marches about a subject little is known about and is already illegal in the country is not a source, marches and coverage for blm, a subject which is not simply 5000 km away but is among us, is also not a source.
    things like blm are real issues, just because you have an issue with it doesn't make it any less of an issue.
    what are you doing about fgm apart from ranting about feminists and blm?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Does the HSE circumcise male babies for non medical reasons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JoannaJag

Does the HSE circumcise male babies for non medical reasons?

No the HSE will not circumcise for non medical reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

which people?

compo culture ireland still equals people getting compensation because they are entitled to it because something happened to them that should not have done so and could have been avoided.
    if a gender paygap is being discussed and individuals are being compensated then it means, i'm afraid, it is happening.
    paying someone less specifically because of gender is illegal, however there are ways to get around it and one has to specifically prove that it is happening, they can't simply walk in and claim it is happening.
    nothing on social media about a subject people know little about and which is already illegal here is not a source, all though how you know there is nothing about it on social media as a whole, when social media is absolutely massive and it would be impossible to go through it all, is a mystery.
    few marches about a subject little is known about and is already illegal in the country is not a source, marches and coverage for blm, a subject which is not simply 5000 km away but is among us, is also not a source.
    things like blm are real issues, just because you have an issue with it doesn't make it any less of an issue.
    what are you doing about fgm apart from ranting about feminists and blm?
    Take Limerick for example it's packed wit Muslims just go to the park tonnes of woman with kids they ain't here for high skill jobs.All in full Burkas
    That is not a fair life for these woman is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Take Limerick for example it's packed wit Muslims just go to the park tonnes of woman with kids they ain't here for high skill jobs.All in full Burkas

What is unfair about women taking their children to the park?

Also, can you define what you mean by 'packed' given there is only approx 68K muslims in the whole country.

JoannaJag wrote: »
    No the HSE will not circumcise for non medical reasons.

Makes you wonder where these baby boys are being circumcised in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Makes you wonder where these baby boys are being circumcised in Ireland

A couple of years back the HSE licensed non-medical personnel to perform male circumcisions. It happened after a baby boy had an artery severed and the baby bled out. So the HSE ran a course.

Doesnt that fill you with confidence? I mean I could do it I am sure, just let me get the surgical spirits, iodine and the trusty rusty meat cleaver.

hqdefault.jpg

Utterly bizarre that the state facilitates such a practice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

"BECAUSE DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH! YOU BIGOT."

That's pretty much it in a nutshell beyond the canned "These will be our doctors, lawyers and engineers. They'll pay our pensions for us." garbage we've been hearing over the years.

Plus as Varadkar said "we need to show solidarity"

there are muslims in limerick? so what?
    muslims have children, so what? so do irish and every other ethnicity here.
    muslims take their children to the park? same as above.
    women are wearing the birqa, well if there is evidence that they are being forced to wear it then find out who is doing the forcing and lock them up. if they are wearing it by choice then that's fine.
    i doubt limerick is packed with muslims, not every foreign national will be a muslim either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    "BECAUSE DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH! YOU BIGOT."

That's pretty much it in a nutshell beyond the canned "These will be our doctors, lawyers and engineers. They'll pay our pensions for us." garbage we've been hearing over the years.

Plus as Varadkar said "we need to show solidarity"

Do you consider yourself a racist?

Genuine question. We know they exist, I'm wondering are you one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Do you consider yourself a racist?

Genuine question. We know they exist, I'm wondering are you one of them.

Why should I bother answering your question when you've clearly made up your mind about me?

Advertisement