Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly 6,000 women in Ireland have suffered Female Genital Mutilation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Why should I bother answering your question when you've clearly made up your mind about me?

Some of your posts make it appear that you view some people in a negative manner purely on the basis of the colour of their skin, their religion or the country they are from.

Are you saying I have misinterpreted your posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Some of your posts make it appear that you view some people in a negative manner purely on the basis of the colour of their skin, their religion or the country they are from.

Are you saying I have misinterpreted your posts?

So pointing out a group of people that are know for bad behavior is racist?

So pointing out a group of people that are know for bad behavior is racist?

How do you that the hypothetical people in front of you are guilty of bad behaviour?

How do you that the hypothetical people in front of you are guilty of bad behaviour?

Because if they haven't behaved anywhere else they've gone they're not going to behave here [Balbriggan is a good example of how well its going so far]. Its pure delusion to think they will. Unless we become like Texas where every household has an arsenal of guns making them afraid to act up.

Because if they haven't behaved anywhere else they've gone they're not going to behave here [Balbriggan is a good example of how well its going so far]. Its pure delusion to think they will. Unless we become like Texas where every household has an arsenal of guns making them afraid to act up.

You're a racist.

• Advertisement

You're a racist.

You're misspelled realist.

You're misspelled realist.

I'm sure the foreign Dr's and Nurses who may be treating you at some point would appreciate you expressing your views to them. Doubt that they will see you as a realist.

I'm sure the foreign Dr's and Nurses who may be treating you at some point would appreciate you expressing your views to them. Doubt that they will see you as a realist.

So because a few of them have been employable should mean the rest get a free pass?

So because a few of them have been employable should mean the rest get a free pass?

You don't know when you look at people whether or not they are employed, here legally, refugees, educated, or anything else which you feel warrants you judging them.

You're a racist. Possibly through ignorance more than anything else, but still a racist.

You don't know when you look at people whether or not they are employed, here legally, refugees, educated, or anything else which you feel warrants you judging them.

You're a racist. Possibly through ignorance more than anything else, but still a racist.

And you're an idiot. Why should we keep taking in people from certain backgrounds when they have a clear history of violent behavior? They haven't behaved in Germany, or Sweden, or France or Britain. Only an idiot truly believes we'll get lucky and get ones that can behave themselves.

Mod: Ban for the personal attack.

• Advertisement

And you're an idiot. Why should we keep taking in people from certain backgrounds when they have a clear history of violent behavior? They haven't behaved in Germany, or Sweden, or France or Britain. Only an idiot truly believes we'll get lucky and get ones that can behave themselves.

Do you think every country should refuse Irish people expecting that they are all alcoholics who like to fight at every opportunity and their religion promotes pedophilia?

You've really laid it out very bluntly your motivations here. No real debate left about it.

Do you think every country should refuse Irish people expecting that they are all alcoholics who like to fight at every opportunity and their religion promotes pedophilia?

You've really laid it out very bluntly your motivations here. No real debate left about it.

You were better off shutting up and going away. There's a HUGE difference between drinking and Violent crimes [and out and out terrorism]

You were better off shutting up and going away. There's a HUGE difference between drinking and Violent crimes [and out and out terrorism]

Point missed. Unsurprisingly.

Get some sleep. It's good for the mind.

Point missed. Unsurprisingly.

Get some sleep. It's good for the mind.

You would have needed a point first. Maybe you should take your advice. You're mind isn't very sharp.

You would have needed a point first. Maybe you should take your advice. You're mind isn't very sharp.

*Your

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

*Your

An obsession with spelling and grammar is how you identify people that are not smart but want to act it.

i_surge wrote: »
    An obsession with spelling and grammar is how you identify people that are not smart but want to act it.

Wouldn't have bothered only it was in a sentence suggesting my mind wasn't very sharp. Am I not entitled to defend myself?

What is it with some people being well able to give abuse and judgement but then losing the rag when anyone fights back?

Wouldn't have bothered only it was in a sentence suggesting my mind wasn't very sharp. Am I not entitled to defend myself?

What is it with some people being well able to give abuse and judgement but then losing the rag when anyone fights back?

You can defend yourself, it is still telling. A poor attempt at displaying intellectual (and moral in your case) superiority all the while you are pretending to be a caring compassionate person fighting on behalf of others.

I suggest it might have something to with your underhand obnoxious style of communication.

i_surge wrote: »
    You can defend yourself, it is still telling. A poor attempt at displaying intellectual (and moral in your case) superiority all the while you are pretending to be a caring compassionate person fighting on behalf of others.

I suggest it might have something to with your underhand obnoxious style of communication.

Since when are you the arbiter of what is telling or not?

You don't like my views, I don't care. But if you have an issue with my posts you have two choices. Report them, or ignore them.

And you suggest I am pretending to be a caring compassionate person? What are you pretending to be? You've just waded in here taking the side of someone who just clarified that they are a racist?

Still interested in this by the way, 'What is it with some people being well able to give abuse and judgement but then losing the rag when anyone fights back?'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JJayoo wrote: »
    And my source on wither or not Irish feminists care about fgm? How about the silence around it, nothing on social media, don't see many marches. Plenty of matches and blanket media coverage for blm, an issue 5000kms away.

My point is that real issues,such as FGM, will always get trumped by more 'glamorous' issues and the ability to virtue signal about such issues
    Mainly because current western "feminism" is almost entirely made up of the views of tumblr brained western(mostly US driven in credo) White middle class college educated women and the issues that concern them and their demographic. FGM doesn't figure too high on their list of things to freak out about. Being "slut shamed" would trump it. BLM does because it's currently fashionable and they don't actually have to do much but turn up and add yet another fashionable a flag to their Arsebook or Twitter account. Actual non White women are lower down on priorities and for some mostly an exotic talisman to wave about.

Also because they tend to be steeped in Right On Think and cultural equivalence notions FGM would be problematic for them to navigate as it's a majority non White, non Western women that suffer it and *shock horror* mostly promoted by and carried out by the women in such cultures. It's tradition, my mother had it done, all the women I know had it done, I had it done and am the cleaner/godlier/better for embracing that part of my culture. And so forth(basically the exact same cultural "reasons" given for lopping of boys foreskins*). Plus being largely an American politic it's kinda hard to castigate one culture that mutilates genitals when American "Moms and Dads" are just as hell bent happily engrained on mutilating their own sons for entirely cultural based reasons. Years ago Oprah Winfrey came out against FGM and fair play, but as one commentator pointed out in another of her shows she and the audience had an oul giggle over some overpriced skin cream that boasted of being tested on the cells of discards foreskins or somesuch. If a woman or man from a culture that saw FGM as culturally important to them watched that they'd likely see both the irony, cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy of it.

*In before the "IT'S NOT THE SAME!!!!" pearl clutching, we're talking about the cultural reasons for it and they're pretty much point for point identical. "fix" one cultural mindset and the other would fall on its arse, or be extremely hard to justify.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wibbs wrote: »
    Mainly because current western "feminism" is almost entirely made up of the views of tumblr brained western(mostly US driven in credo) White middle class college educated women and the issues that concern them and their demographic. FGM doesn't figure too high on their list of things to freak out about. Being "slut shamed" would trump it. BLM does because it's currently fashionable and they don't actually have to do much but turn up and add yet another fashionable a flag to their Arsebook or Twitter account. Actual non White women are lower down on priorities and for some mostly an exotic talisman to wave about.

Also because they tend to be steeped in Right On Think and cultural equivalence notions FGM would be problematic for them to navigate as it's a majority non White, non Western women that suffer it and *shock horror* mostly promoted by and carried out by the women in such cultures. It's tradition, my mother had it done, all the women I know had it done, I had it done and am the cleaner/godlier/better for embracing that part of my culture. And so forth(basically the exact same cultural "reasons" given for lopping of boys foreskins*). Plus being largely an American politic it's kinda hard to castigate one culture that mutilates genitals when American "Moms and Dads" are just as hell bent happily engrained on mutilating their own sons for entirely cultural based reasons. Years ago Oprah Winfrey came out against FGM and fair play, but as one commentator pointed out in another of her shows she and the audience had an oul giggle over some overpriced skin cream that boasted of being tested on the cells of discards foreskins or somesuch. If a woman or man from a culture that saw FGM as culturally important to them watched that they'd likely see both the irony, cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy of it.

*In before the "IT'S NOT THE SAME!!!!" pearl clutching, we're talking about the cultural reasons for it and they're pretty much point for point identical. "fix" one cultural mindset and the other would fall on its arse, or be extremely hard to justify.

Well said.

I'd also add, circumcision *IS* exactly the same, in terms of origin and the intent behind it. Thankfully it's a bit harder to remove the Glans than it is the clitoris. Barbaric practices both.

You've just waded in here taking the side of someone who just clarified that they are a racist?
    I didn't side with anyone.

The usual sly trick from you, try to stain the character of the other.

I found your style extra classless and couldn't not comment. Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 35,078 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A couple of years back the HSE licensed non-medical personnel to perform male circumcisions.

Got a link for that?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Got a link for that?

Nope but it was in response to a baby bleeding out done by an unskilled person (ie not a doctor/nurse/paramedic). The poor child died. I remembered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

What is unfair about women taking their children to the park?.
    They were referring to burkhas though - they did mention them.

Got a link for that?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-20239186.html

"THE Muslim community in Ireland is currently putting a proposal before the HSE aimed at tackling the problem of long waiting lists for cultural circumcision for their male children."

I believe that would be bringing experience practitioners over from abroad. The Irish taxpayer picking up the tab again. Wages, insurance, and resources at the expense of our own national citizens.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/death-of-baby-prompted-report-on-circumcision-1.1005441

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Have any Irish born i.e the natives been subject to this horrible experience? I very much doubt it,No need to import it either.

And I do acccept the history of all the abuse that has happened. No need to add to it though.

But cutting in order that the women will not experience sexual pleasure is just WTAF. Bet there is no man subjected to the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Phil Bogan

I am supposed to consider a man who thinks his daughter's genitals should be mutilated to appease Allah as my equal.

Let that sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well as my partner said it's a man thing, women are just expendible and controlled by men, Agreed.

But isn't that awful,

• Advertisement

Phil Bogan wrote: »
    I am supposed to consider a man who thinks his daughter's genitals should be mutilated to appease Allah as my equal.

Let that sink in.

Check out documentaries on youtube, Its the women doing it not the men. Why does the Irish Tax payer have to pay it? If I crash my own car head on to post, why should my neighbour, local government or local business have to compensate me for it? Is there no responsibility with me?

Advertisement