Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday pay

Options
  • 21-08-2020 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi everyone. Last Summer I worked in a hotel where I worked 140 hours between May and December on a part time basis. I got another job this summer and i ceased employment with the hotel i worked in last summer however i was just wondering should i be entitled to my holiday pay from the old hotel that i worked in? i learnt from citizens info that i can get 8% pay for the hours i worked which is a equivalent to €116

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Hi everyone. Last Summer I worked in a hotel where I worked 140 hours between May and December on a part time basis. I got another job this summer and i ceased employment with the hotel i worked in last summer however i was just wondering should i be entitled to my holiday pay from the old hotel that i worked in? i learnt from citizens info that i can get 8% pay for the hours i worked which is a equivalent to €116

Check your pay slips for it. My employer used to pay me holiday pay and it was written in my payslip the amount I got each pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I mean this in the kindest way: do you suffer from anxiety?

You’ve had numerous threads on not being able to find a summer job this year (I know this one was about a summer job last year) - but you’ve also said that you’ve about 8k in savings, I think, and that your parents are going to cover your fees and accommodation.

Are you worried about going to college, and moving out of home? It is of course a big transition - but could also mean you having the time of your life! Especially as it doesn’t sound like money will be a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

qwerty13 wrote: »
    I mean this in the kindest way: do you suffer from anxiety?

You’ve had numerous threads on not being able to find a summer job this year (I know this one was about a summer job last year) - but you’ve also said that you’ve about 8k in savings, I think, and that your parents are going to cover your fees and accommodation.

Are you worried about going to college, and moving out of home? It is of course a big transition - but could also mean you having the time of your life! Especially as it doesn’t sound like money will be a concern.

Hi, yes I do suffer from bad anxiety. It gets especially bad in the Summer months as I find I have a lot of free time to myself which leads me to overthinking. For example, I rang my boss on Friday asking if I can take book the 4th and 5th of september off work however i am now scared he will forget and have me down to work for those days. I was going to go to the doctor about it however if the doctor offers me councilling time may be an issue as i am currently busy with driving lessons and work and both my parents work also so i usually must get lifts from my neighbour into work. If she gives me medication it wont work with my birth control so I have resorted to taking magnesium supplements which are meant to be good for anxiety. I just get worried about money because I see people working full time my age getting approx 400 a week wheras I am only working between 5-10 hours a week getting 8.80 an hour. I cant help it and I feel like there is no escape from the anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Hi, yes I do suffer from bad anxiety. It gets especially bad in the Summer months as I find I have a lot of free time to myself which leads me to overthinking. For example, I rang my boss on Friday asking if I can take book the 4th and 5th of september off work however i am now scared he will forget and have me down to work for those days. I was going to go to the doctor about it however if the doctor offers me councilling time may be an issue as i am currently busy with driving lessons and work and both my parents work also so i usually must get lifts from my neighbour into work. If she gives me medication it wont work with my birth control so I have resorted to taking magnesium supplements which are meant to be good for anxiety. I just get worried about money because I see people working full time my age getting approx 400 a week wheras I am only working between 5-10 hours a week getting 8.80 an hour. I cant help it and I feel like there is no escape from the anxiety.

Go to your doctor and write down what you need to say. Print this out if you need to. My brain usually blanks when I see the doc, so mine at least, is used to having a sheet of paper handed to her.

Things to focus on; it's GREAT that you have that bit of money stashed for emergencies if you need it. Fingers crossed you won't so that's an excellent stash to have! It's also great that you are working - definitely good to keep yourself busy. You can still look for something with more hours while you're working. All work is experience, which again is a good thing.

Use your spare time to look for something with more hours and you'll be grand.

Take care of yourself.
    x

Advertisement