Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conveyancing Solicitor Fee

Options
  • 21-08-2020 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Good Evening

I am hoping to buy an apartment in Dublin for 180k+.

I got qoates from solicitors for conveyancing fees. The cheapest quote I received ,including stamp duty, is for about €3900. I cant imagine I will get a cheaper quote in Dublin?

Would it make sense to get a solicitor outside dublin who might be cheaper?

Can I ask if anyone can recommend a cheaper solicitor in dublin or recommend one that is around this price?

Thank you very much

N:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The issues with cheap conveyancing solicitors is they make their money from volume. Expect a more basic level of service. With apartments this is probably less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I used a solicitor from Thurles for a house sale in Kildare last year. Fees were 2278.20 (including VAT) + 339 on outlays. Don't think you'll do much better than 3900 including SD, in fact it sounds a bit on the cheap side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭gipi

If you're buying an apartment, you will need a solicitor who is familiar with checking the status of the Owner's Management Company, to ensure there's nothing amiss.

Buying conveyancing on the cheap might miss something that could come back to bite you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Why are you including stamp duty, a Revenue tax has nothing to do with a solicitors fee, other than they transfer it to Revenue. What about other costs such as apartment service charge which would be at least 1600 per year, local property tax....

Solicitors fee will be best money ever spent....how is the title...have common areas been properly transferred to the OMC...what’s state of the finances, budget, sinking fund, how is complex being run, who is the managing agent. Of all the important things to consider when buying an apartment...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Exactly, hire the best solicitor not the cheapest. Pm me for a recommendation for a very good solicitor in South Dublin suberbs. My family has used him for 20+ years I bought a house recently I think he charged around 2k Inc vat for his fee + outlays which was very reasonable. I was happy to pay it.
    Incidentally there are other charges than stamp duty of 1800, there's mortgage registration fees, land registry fees and courier fees. There's a few videos on youtube outlining fees if you do a search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

The difference in fees between the cheapest and most expensive solicitor will generally be a small fraction of 1% of the overall spend on buying a house. Pick one on reputation and experience and recommendations if you can get the info and not a ‘saving’ of a few hundred quid.
    I went with what happened to be my most expensive option based on relative’s previous experience and she was absolutely the right choice - explained everything clearly, responded to all communications immediately, kept pressure on other parties, spotted and addressed several issues without drama or delay and got the draw down, contracts exchanged, keys handed over and stamp duty paid in a week in December. Worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Just to counter the points above, Conveyancing in the vast majority of cases is a straight forward legal service with very well established processes, costs and steps. It's part of the bread and butter of legal profession in Ireland. There are some solicitors out there that will take you for a right ride in terms of fees and paying more doesn't mean you get more. You could pay big fees and still most of the work is handed off to legal secretaries or newly qualified solicitors.

As a counter point however, we used the same cheap solicitor who handled our conveyancing, for handling my mother probate and Christ that was a nightmare. At a guess I'd say the solicitor went years without having to deal with probate law. After several fuk ups I obtained independent legal advice (at a very substantial hourly rate) and used that to direct the probate solicitor.

The moral of the story is pick the right solicitor for the Job, you might get recommendations of a great solicitor in a particular area but if you need advise in another area of the law, they might not be the best choice.

Guide:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/how-to-hire-a-solicitor-a-consumer-guide-1.2255692

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I would say work off referrals rather than price alone. The solicitor we have wasn’t the cheapest but not the most expensive but was highly recommended by people we know and had a lot of good reviews on google. She’s been a great help to us over the house hunting process - she would ask us to send the link of any houses we we are bidding on to see if she’s bought there before or if she knows of any issues etc.

But I’m sure the fee for a Cork solicitor will be cheaper than Dublin

Advertisement