Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda 2417 fix or change

Options
  • 21-08-2020 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Looking for opinions..have a 2006 honda 2417 ride on the last 6 years.. bought it in great nick for a steal..has never given and trouble outside changing the usual belts etc. Thought I needed a weld on a part of the deck but on closer inspection its beyond repair with rust holes all over it and a crack too..
    At a guess I'm expecting around 500 to change the deck..am I way off? Throw in a service and I'm in for more..its it beyond economical repair?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I have an old ride on mower, got 20+ years out of it, sure enough the deck eventually rotted, so I took it off ( a hell of a job), and left it in for a welded repair. This lasted me a few more years, when the rot returned, so I bought a welder in Lidl and patched it up myself, it was very far gone at this stage. That repair held out well enough. There are a few helpful videos on You Tube where diy types have repaired seemingly hopeless decks. What killed the mower, recently, was the hydrostatic drive packed up, the rest of the machine is fine. Your Honda is a lot newer than my ride on, so I think it might be worth considering a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

Thanks for the reply.. yes I'm going to ho the fix it riot after talking to my usual lawnmower repairman.. he said he would repair rather than replace as the cost of one far outweighs the other.
    He told be it would be 400 fitted for a new deck.. but it may need new spindles ( I think he called them) and would be worth putting on new blades too so will be close to 500 i'm guessing

Worth doing, a new Honda ride on would cost a packet, 500 euro should have it right for a few years yet. Good luck with it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you could also use a fibre glass repair kit to patch any holes, did it on mine worked fine

fryup wrote: »
    you could also use a fibre glass repair kit to patch any holes, did it on mine worked fine

Yes, Isopon P40 will do fine, I have used it to repair a rusted and split rotary mower deck

• Advertisement

Thanks lads...never heard of the fibre glass technique..Interesting..I think mine is just too far gone though

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Hi, apologies if this is a bit rude but I have an issue with a Honda 2417 and thought this the place to ask.
    My mower has been running fine for years but in the last few weeks an issue has come up. I start cutting and everything is fine. I cut in reverse using the the reverse mowing button all good. However when I go to cut forward again the mower will cut out if I do not keep my finger on the reverse mowing button. I end up cutting forwards with my finger on the button for 19 minutes or more before you can release the button and it works as normal. This fault can then disappear altogether once your cutting for about 30 minutes. Any ideas? It’s over my head currently anyways.
    Thanks and apologies if this is not the correct forum.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

redmagic68 wrote: »
    Hi, apologies if this is a bit rude but I have an issue with a Honda 2417 and thought this the place to ask.
    My mower has been running fine for years but in the last few weeks an issue has come up. I start cutting and everything is fine. I cut in reverse using the the reverse mowing button all good. However when I go to cut forward again the mower will cut out if I do not keep my finger on the reverse mowing button. I end up cutting forwards with my finger on the button for 19 minutes or more before you can release the button and it works as normal. This fault can then disappear altogether once your cutting for about 30 minutes. Any ideas? It’s over my head currently anyways.
    Thanks and apologies if this is not the correct forum.

I'd say it's an electrical problem. Could be a switch or relay..its a strange one alright..never had that problem myself

Advertisement