Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭893bet

Sack of money in hand! Dealing direct with the harvester was a positive experience. They didn’t leave a twig behind. Literally took everything!

Summary.

area circa 25-30 acres (hard to know exact as a few bits were left alone)

half it first thin

half it on a second thin

180 tonne of 3.4m pallet wood, this was approx 44 euro tonne net to be.

30 tonne of 2.5m pallet this was 24 euro net to me

100 tonne 1.9m stake wood, this was 13 euro net to me

100 tonne of pulp wood, this was 10 euro net to me.

Around 11.5k into my hand with usc and PRSI used on that so should net 10k or so so not a bad earner.

Hopefully the forest will benefit and keep growing and stay standing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

That's a lot more than we got (per acre) for 100 acres second thinning. Two to five years ago. Probably by a factor of 3.

We got into a pretty disastrous deal to cut and store/dry the pulp timber for what was to be one year but turned out to be three plus.

Agency took 10% supposedly but no transparency in the deal.

893 bet got a far better deal.

My advice is get timber away fresh and get cash in hand within 1 or 2 months.

(Incidentally the stake buyer would only buy Sitka - Norway not suitable for him - it shatters or something in the processing)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spot on

Trying to get a thinning done but have been messed about with a few different people, any advice I'm in east kerry with 30 acres of 25 year old Sitka

Yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Have you tried the lads in GP Wood Spot on? Wouldn't be too far away from you.

And what way are you being messed about?

People not answering calls, hidden costs and high transport or forwarder costs at one stage best price person were charging over 20 euro for transport, every person saying you can only trust them and saying how bad the competition are, others saying aluding that I will have my timber robbed if I go with someone else to do my thinning. Iv had one company promise the world but delivered nothing concrete.

Who have you tried? Could recommend a few people if you haven't been talking to them already. A private message might be best off 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭leinster93

Been given a price of sawlog 4.9m - €70, small sawlog 3.7m - €50, pallet 3.1m - €46, stake -€21, pulp - €10 by a harvesting company for thinning.

Are these expected by others experience?

Should I also ask for a figure for transportation cost of timber per ton to the saw mill?

I haven't been given this. Is there anything else I should look for relating to hidden costs?

I don't mean to hijack a thread but was hoping on someone's experience like yourself...

• Advertisement

Is that the standing price? I.e net to you? Good prices except for the sawlog which sounds low. Assume it’s 2nd thinning?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭leinster93

2nd thinning but way overdue by a few yrs although growth not effect as such. No mention of net to me or other expenses included or not included for that matter. 70 and 50 for saw log. What would today's price be?

I should probably also ask about transport cost

Surely those prices are after transport i.e. you will not have to pay for transport. I got €10 net for pulp ten years ago.

I think a good way of getting an idea of prices is off a transport company; they would have up to date knowledge and know who are the best buyers at the time. Of course they could also have their favourites. Maybe go to Teagasc for information

Ask around for a recommendation for a harvesting company. When I harvested a second thinning the tonnage the contractor charged me for was way more than I got aid for in sales. 20% plus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Good loser did the timber dry out between harvesting and transport to the mill? Another possibility is that 20% might have gone somewhere else, did you count the loads and compare what was delivered?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I was careful enough re the loads so I don't believe any went astray.

There were 3 products in second thinning - pallet, stake and pulp. The pallet and stake went away fresh so any weight loss was small.

The pulp was around for a few years (a long bad story) so didn't even try to reconcile those figures.

Saw a guy (Murphy?) from Hackettstown in last week's Journal. Doing part clearfell and part thinning on good land. Euorforest seemed to be employed as managing agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,993 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why not arrange transport yourself.

I heard of a farmer that delivered his timber with a tractor and trailer to a mill. Someone - either the Dept or the buyer on instruction from the Dept - stopped the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭leoch

Hi lads first time posting on forestry but I'm looking for advice on wat to charge for fir trees cut cleaned and in full lengths lying on ground some are nearly 3ft thick...neighbour wants to take them and asked me wat they are worth but I haven't a clue ....they were growing maybe 40/50 years massive height altogether thanks in advance lads

• Registered Users Posts: 35,993 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How long are the lengths, what is it one or two trees, not sure anyone would bother, would have to be truck load at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭leoch

Very very long maybe 30 mtrs I'm not sure there is 10 or a dozen of them

• Advertisement

That could be a lorry - and trailer - load. ASk a sawmill to come and quote a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭timmiekp

Bumping this up what way are pricies atm. Sawlog pallet pulp etc based in the south west. Have the felling license

All harvest sites are different with different timber quality, haulage cost, harvesting costs etc

Best to ring around yourself and see what your offered.

Big difference from someone with 10,000 ton, gun barrel straight timber, 200m extraction distance and only 30km to the end market compared to crooked timber, 1000 ton clearfell, has to be extracted across 3 fields and is 2 hours away from nearest sawmill.

It's chalk and cheese. Timber prices are meant to be holding strong though at the moment from what I've heard. Not as good as they were but stable none the less.

The south west has plenty of market options too which is great, can think of 5 or 6 off hand to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭peterofthebr

I've a 1st thinning due on Norwegian Spruce on 8Ha. Average is about 15DBH and 3K per ha. 

What kinda price should I be expecting for thinning per tonne? Or standing prices this year... access will likely be through fields(no forestry pass yet) and distance to a loading area is close to 1km from forest. was told it could be €13/tonne I'm expected more then that price €18-20t thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,513 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Just looking at the pulpwood and stake wood figures would lads not consider holding some back drying and selling as firewood. Would there be 20X8' lengths to a ton in pulpwood.

There definitely must be a way to move some on like that. Admittedly it needs 12-18 months outside and a year in a shed

Slava Ukrainii

An option but You would need to pay the harvester his price per to tonne then for cutting. Not sure how much that is but I recall 22-25 euro a tonne 3 years ago so that’s at least 30 a tonne now.

About time forest owners got together to form coops for harvesting. The sawmills taking the piss and several rogue operators out there offering harvesting services.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Anyone know the current roadside price for Sitka Sawlog? The IFA price database is hopelessly out of date.

Surely, farmers should have direct access to this information, as you would at a mart.

• Advertisement
Advertisement