Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The world when this is over

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

2 years based on the Spanish Flu. Spanish Flu didn't have free air miles like Covid 19, took Spanish Flu 2 years to spread and die out. Covid 19 has done it's worst, all up hill from here, will be a non issue in 3 months hopefully.

World population in 1918: 1.8 billion
    World population in 2020: 7.8 billion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    World population in 1918: 1.8 billion
    World population in 2020: 7.8 billion

What’s your point?

Gael23 wrote: »
    What’s your point?

More fuel to burn through might mean the pandemic could take longer than in 1918.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Girly Gal wrote: »
    So not back to normal like before, never said large scale mask wearing would stay or large crowds would not return, what I meant was some people will continue to wear masks and the there will be measures/restrictions on large crowds ie hygiene measures.
    I work for a large multi national company, mask wearing is not mandatory, but, expected, they have temp sensors at each entrance to check peoples temperature, canteen seats and times assigned, some office workers working from home and some other measures too, all these measures came in because of Covid-19 and will remain long after it's gone with the possible exception of the masks.

Put it like this, you'll see 50,000 back in the aviva and 80,000 back in Croke Park for example, thats back to normal. By hygiene measures at these stadiums I'm talking about increased cleaning, disposable one use items, increased hand hygiene stations etc.

Minor changes but very much being back to normal for everyone who attends. You'd notice little difference and they wouldn't be classed as restrictions in the slightest, all sounds quite normal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Companies have issues with WFH as they are responsible for the welfare of the employee so people who get a bad back while crouched over a laptop could bring a case. So WFH will require a proper desk etc.

Secondly if we working from home becomes a thing, these big offices aren't required and that's what a lot of pension companies own and your pension funds on. It's a safe return when you are near to claiming out. The public service is an ideal place to implement work from home.

Things will go back to normal but for a few things. The days of going in sick to work are over and sending kids into school/crèche sick too.

Areas that could boom is air con installation. Companies will upgrade to newer systems with built in UV protection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Strumms wrote: »
    What covid has taught me, well hammered home, is that life is a gift. No more putting things like work in front of my own aspirations, family, friends and loved ones. I’m putting ME and US ( as in my loved ones ) first, front and center, always, without exception.

Life is to be enjoyed, not endured, every day. I’m going to be absolutely ruthless in my pursuit of happiness... anything or anybody who attempts to get in the path of that will find themselves in ‘difficulty’... be it an employer, anything. Give me trouble, you’ll get it back...

Everything everyday is going to be fun, positive, enjoyable, fair...

Best post i have seen here today. Good for you, we need more people with balls and wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Cant argue with this. The problem is though ( probably with myself ) is that it's easy to forget this and get caught up in the whole machine that life can sometimes be.

I think we’ll be a long time forgetting covid, so not just me... ALL of us..let’s set the compass to direction happy and don’t stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Strumms wrote: »
    What covid has taught me, well hammered home, is that life is a gift. No more putting things like work in front of my own aspirations, family, friends and loved ones. I’m putting ME and US ( as in my loved ones ) first, front and center, always, without exception.

Life is to be enjoyed, not endured, every day. I’m going to be absolutely ruthless in my pursuit of happiness... anything or anybody who attempts to get in the path of that will find themselves in ‘difficulty’... be it an employer, anything. Give me trouble, you’ll get it back...

Everything everyday is going to be fun, positive, enjoyable, fair...

Your post is correct about happiness, its incredibly important.

You don't pursue it however, its internal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Put it like this, you'll see 50,000 back in the aviva and 80,000 back in Croke Park for example, thats back to normal. By hygiene measures at these stadiums I'm talking about increased cleaning, disposable one use items, increased hand hygiene stations etc.

Minor changes but very much being back to normal for everyone who attends. You'd notice little difference and they wouldn't be classed as restrictions in the slightest, all sounds quite normal to me.

My point was it won't go back to the way it was, there will be differences as you've pointed out extra hygiene measures and some other changes both good and bad, e.g. working for home, lots of small pubs, restaurants and businesses closed for good etc.
    We may get close to the way it was before, but, there will be differences.

If everyone wore masks early in February and incoming travel was monitored properly, we would probably have gotten away with no lockdown whatsoever.

Stitch in time and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

irishgeo wrote: »
    Companies have issues with WFH as they are responsible for the welfare of the employee so people who get a bad back while crouched over a laptop could bring a case. So WFH will require a proper desk etc.

Secondly if we working from home becomes a thing, these big offices aren't required and that's what a lot of pension companies own and your pension funds on. It's a safe return when you are near to claiming out. The public service is an ideal place to implement work from home.

Things will go back to normal but for a few things. The days of going in sick to work are over and sending kids into school/crèche sick too.

Areas that could boom is air con installation. Companies will upgrade to newer systems with built in UV protection.

Until employers provide sick pay to all staff that won’t happen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Gael23 wrote: »
    Until employers provide sick pay to all staff that won’t happen

You make it law.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thierry12 wrote: »
    We have too much information now

Everyone is an expert, guilty of it myself

Funny thing is we wouldn't even have noticed Covid if not for all the media information ( don't lie now, we wouldnt have noticed all the people over 70 who died, dieing is what you do that age )

If China or an other country hadn't blown the whistle we'd all have been living normal all year, wouldn't have noticed a thing

Ignorance is bliss, that's all I know

Maybe, if you ignore the experience of Northern Italy which is a true example of living in ignorance while the virus us in the community.

Look at the devastating impact it has had on countries which were eve forewarned as to what was coming.

Ignorance is bliss is a complete fallacy.

irishgeo wrote: »
    You make it law.

99% of businesses in service and leisure industries probably genuinely couldn't afford it.

Your post is correct about happiness, its incredibly important.

You don't pursue it however, its internal.

Yeah, once you remove the impediments it spontaneously happens. Or should do.

(apologies for being OT)

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yeah, once you remove the impediments it spontaneously happens. Or should do.

(apologies for being OT)

Also like all emotions it comes and goes.

Contentment can endure though.

The pursuit of happiness is why Americans can be so neurotic and why we are getting the same way.

i_surge wrote: »
    Also like all emotions it comes and goes.

Contentment can endure though.

The pursuit of happiness is why Americans can be so neurotic and why we are getting the same way.

I find it strange to agree with some posters on certain things

I find it strange to agree with some posters on certain things

Nobody is wrong all the time, not even you Fintan.

XXX

99% of businesses in service and leisure industries probably genuinely couldn't afford it.

Food production is also a problem, when a chicken can be rared, vaccinated, transported, killed processed and cooked for €6 something has to give

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Eventually when ai and automation kill all manual jobs a living wage will be the way forward. This to me has been an little trial run of that, albeit inadvertently caused by the pandemic. I think in 20 or 30 years we will be much closercto communism than now but still dressed as democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

^ 100% agree with basic income and automation.

Although we will still need a way of creating value and forming hierarchies.

Getting that balance right will be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

We are just at the very start of a very difficult decade ahead, the hardest for the majority of people alive right now. I don't know if people realise just how bad things are about to get. The World is teetering on the brink of an all out World War, if Joe Biden gets elected then the Democrat deepstate warhawks will strike on China and that much I am certain. Trump despite his idiosyncrasies is not a hige man for war and would rather avoid anything bad for business.

The far-right is awake all over Europe including here in Ireland, thousands rallied in Dublin yesterday, The EU is nearing the endgame soon and once that crumbles which I believe it will then we go back to more nationalistic fervour.

We will look back in a few years and realise this pandemic was just a small problem comepared to what is unfolding before our eyes at a tremendous speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

theguzman wrote: »
    We are just at the very start of a very difficult decade ahead, the hardest for the majority of people alive right now. I don't know if people realise just how bad things are about to get. The World is teetering on the brink of an all out World War, if Joe Biden gets elected then the Democrat deepstate warhawks will strike on China and that much I am certain. Trump despite his idiosyncrasies is not a hige man for war and would rather avoid anything bad for business.

The far-right is awake all over Europe including here in Ireland, thousands rallied in Dublin yesterday, The EU is nearing the endgame soon and once that crumbles which I believe it will then we go back to more nationalistic fervour.

We will look back in a few years and realise this pandemic was just a small problem comepared to what is unfolding before our eyes at a tremendous speed.

you think biden will start a war with china? wuuuut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

froog wrote: »
    you think biden will start a war with china? wuuuut

Biden in his day no-way, He is a front for some very dangerous minded people, if he wins which I think he will then I can see Trump declaring Martial Law or some type of coup to hold onto power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Biden in his day no-way, He is a front for some very dangerous minded people, if he wins which I think he will then I can see Trump declaring Martial Law or some type of coup to hold onto power.

Thats interesting...is it the military industrial complex?

Conspiracy Forum is --->

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Normality. Is only a personal perspective , which can be influenced by the mass acceptance of the common society.
    Normality is constantly changing people just don't want or seem to realize it.
    What was normal for people pri covid will seem abnormal to people post covid .

Not sure about all that war craic but the propagation of ignorance is starting to do untold damage already, I don't see it getting better for a while.

i_surge wrote: »
    Not sure about all that war craic but the propagation of ignorance is starting to do untold damage already, I don't see it getting better for a while.

I dont think there is a propagation of ignorance

I think we are alive at the best time that ever existed to be alive.

• Advertisement

I dont think there is a propagation of ignorance

I think we are alive at the best time that ever existed to be alive.

Of course you don't Fintan.

How was the mask protest anyway?

Advertisement