Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

AllForIt wrote: »
    All I see in every contentious issues these day's, is losers not accepting they lost, and use wormy rhetoric to try and find a way to have their opinion's justified.

It's all tied into this idea of equality. My opinion is as valid as yours, even when those opinions are diametrically the opposite of each other. In the case of diametrically opposed opinions, this is absurd.

I think this is an increasing tactic of the Left, and a worrying one. I see it here all the time.

Why it is worrying is because I think it will ultimately lead to social discord. It's social discord lite atm but I think it will get worse if left unrecognised, hence this thread. Yes, I am worried about it.

No doubt the Left have taken a hit in recent years after a period of success. In response to this turn, they don't seem to want to accept it.

As a tactic of the Left they vilify their opponents, no matter what the personal character of their opponents. A case is point is the vilification of Boris Johnson, say he's a racist, when most normies think he's generally a nice enough guy.

What is happening how, here even, is discussions that are conducted in bad faith.

More and more I see people with ideological opinions, and argue as best they can, in support of their ido opinions no matter what, even when on specific point's they know they are wrong, but won't admit it.

I can only conclude what this is all about, is people who have lost the argument, or have lost in terms of numbers of people who agree with them, are throwing a tantrum, and trying to get what they want despite public opinion is against them.

So what argument have you lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

JoChervil wrote: »
    So what argument have you lost?

Probably all of them.

Bang of 4chan of all this

Any update OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Post reported, for use of the word normies

...and just reported in general

Username checks out! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

francois wrote: »
    Let it go, you'll feel better

Who made you the Frozen Elsa of boards :P

let-it-go-memegenerator-net-let-it-go-frozen-elsa-53935659.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Any update OP?

Yeah, you're still full of yourself.

Here's one for you,

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/08/21/donald-trump-lgbt-gender-equality-policy-usaid-womens-empowerment-violence/

Pink News, that bastion of news outlets, does fake pictures of Donald Trump. Isn't that what I'm saying.

Oh I get it now, y'all don't get it. But you do get it and don't at the same time. Fun times.

Dodge wrote: »
    I just like the idea of a lad posting on an Internet forum at 1:26 on a Saturday morning calling other people losers

Maybe I should be hanging around on the street with knackers doing wheelies in the middle of the night in the middle of a pandemic. That would be better in some ppl's eyes. I'd rather be a night owl than a night ghoul.

It's the virtue-signalling cucks you need to watch out for - they're trained in cultural marxism which is a sort of martial art I believe.

I was really surprised ancapailldorcha thanked that comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Maybe I should be hanging around on the street with knackers doing wheelies in the middle of the night ..

20110818-003406.jpg

WHAT YOU GOT AGAINST WHEELIES? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

It's all tied into this idea of equality. My opinion is as valid as yours, even when those opinions are diametrically the opposite of each other. In the case of diametrically opposed opinions, this is absurd.

This is the kind of "freedom of speech" stuff the internet is full of these days. Everyone thinks their opinion is right, and everyone else's is wrong - and if you can bring the usual left/right divide into a discussion, then any "diametrical" opinion can be declared invalid. You're not fighting the good fight, you're just trying to win arguments on the internet.

Even their own opinions are diametrically opposed. The same posters who think BLM marches are
    great, will rail against people going to football matches.

It's also acceptable to ridicule posters who question the general consensus; flip that coin around and
    get a holiday from these parts :confused:

Stay tuned for the yearly Is Boards right wing? thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

All I see in every contentious issues these day's, is losers not accepting they lost, and use wormy rhetoric to try and find a way to have their opinion's justified.

I think this is an increasing tactic of the Left, and a worrying one. I see it here all the time.

Why it is worrying is because I think it will ultimately lead to social discord. It's social discord lite atm but I think it will get worse if left unrecognised, hence this thread. Yes, I am worried about it.

No doubt the Left have taken a hit in recent years after a period of success. In response to this turn, they don't seem to want to accept it.

As a tactic of the Left they vilify their opponents, no matter what the personal character of their opponents. A case is point is the vilification of Boris Johnson, say he's a racist, when most normies think he's generally a nice enough guy.

What is happening how, here even, is discussions that are conducted in bad faith.

More and more I see people with ideological opinions, and argue as best they can, in support of their ido opinions no matter what, even when on specific point's they know they are wrong, but won't admit it.

I can only conclude what this is all about, is people who have lost the argument, or have lost in terms of numbers of people who agree with them, are throwing a tantrum, and trying to get what they want despite public opinion is against them.

Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

Junior cert essay - what I did this summer ?
    Asus X540L wrote: »
    Wtf

Even their own opinions are diametrically opposed. The same posters who think BLM marches are
    great, will rail against people going to football matches.

It's also acceptable to ridicule posters who question the general consensus; flip that coin around and
    get a holiday from these parts :confused:

Stay tuned for the yearly Is Boards right wing? thread :pac:

Makes a chance from the constant whinging about it being left wing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think the op has highlighted a second entirely different issue. Traditionally argument was a method that was used to find an approximation of truth based on the information and assumptions all participants could bring to the argument, in the end a consensus would have to be reached. Given that we usually have partial information we could end up with some conditional solution which could be flushed out as more information becomes available. There are no losers among the participants as they don't own the opposing views, they merely argue for them in a search for a collective understanding. Basically an argument is a tool that we use to learn not a battle of two or more identities. There is no shame in loss or pride in victory. The victory is for anyone who learned new information irrespective of what side they were on. In fact one can learn a lot by arguing for the opposite of what they believe.

But these days it's not like this at all, people's viewpoint is intrinsically part of their personal indentity, they are the argument they represent and thus they are wounded by loss or too emotionally involved to learn anything new.

People do not argue in good faith because they feel they are in some kind of imagined ideological battle(left v right, totally ill defined anyway), they have forgotten that argument is just a tool for learning. And I would say people are lazy, they use lazy labels instead of just taking each new argument on its own merits. We don't want to get bogged down in minutiae it seems even though our big pictures are flawed. It's easier to stop learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

But these days it's not like this at all, people's viewpoint is intrinsically part of their personal indentity, they are the argument they represent and thus they are wounded by loss or too emotionally involved to learn anything new.

I don't think it is any different now to how it has been, or that people are any different to how they have been. There have always been people open to debate, and people who are not.

The internet just means that all these turgid arguments that expose bias of all kinds, which used to take place in front of an unlucky few in a pub or on a sideline somewhere, are now visible to everybody.

People have always talked all manner of incoherent bad-faith shyte, we just see more of it.

Maybe the OP hasn't updated his thread because he's spending the weekend crafting the finishing touches to a letter he's going to send to The Irish Times or Irish Independent.

Or even posting an article on LinkedIn.

If he's feeling flush he can post his "article" on Facebook, and then "BOOST" it as much as he can afford ( just needs to lay off the cigarettes for the coming week that's all)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭donegal_man

At home with the OP

Polish-20200823-125729391.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

nthclare wrote: »
    You'll see them prancing around most arcades and shopping centers while real men are out fishing, golfing, hunting, surfing and being men...

Cucks, little do they know their wife's are shagging Dishy Dave and Chad from accounts :)

I don't go fishing, golfing, hunting or indeed surfing.. am I not a "real man"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

joe40 wrote: »
    I don't go fishing, golfing, hunting or indeed surfing.. am I not a "real man"?

I don't think I've ever seen hunting and golfing mentioned in the same sentence before, and definitely not on the topic of being a 'real man'

Advertisement