Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ireland the only country where car crashes make the national news?

Options
  • 22-08-2020 9:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭

It's obviously a tragedy if people die in a car crash but I'm bemused as to why it warrants national news coverage. Seems to be just an Irish thing although I'm open to correction on this. Other countries don't do this as far as I'm aware. The BBC doesn't publish headlines about random car crashes and America definitely doesn't. There are multi car crashes every hour on the busy US Interstates and they won't even get a mention on local news. It's not like RTE have nothing else to report on. There are "youth gangs" carrying out warfare on the streets of Balbriggan but they choose to ignore it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

The UK and USA have regional / city TV News stations so I'd say they cover car crashes. Plus we are a small country with no regional TV stations.
    I'd imagine BBC NI would have covered the accident in Donegal and accidents in Northern Ireland.

So thinly veiled its transparent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

statesaver wrote: »
    The UK and USA have regional / city TV News stations so I'd say they cover car crashes. Plus we are a small country with no regional TV stations.
    I'd imagine BBC NI would have covered the accident in Donegal and accidents in Northern Ireland.

But the local/regional stations in other countries don't cover these run of the mill car crashes. That's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

coinop wrote: »
    It's not like RTE have nothing else to report on. There are "youth gangs" carrying out warfare on the streets of Balbriggan but they choose to ignore it.

Shall we just get to what you really want to "discuss"?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

But the local/regional stations in other countries don't cover these run of the mill car crashes. That's my point.

National news doesn't cover "run of the mill" car crashes.

It sometimes covers the most horrific crashes in which multiple lives are lost.

So unless you consider THAT 'run of the mill'.... I'm not sure what your point is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

It's obviously a tragedy if people die in a car crash but I'm bemused as to why it warrants national news coverage. Seems to be just an Irish thing although I'm open to correction on this. Other countries don't do this as far as I'm aware. The BBC doesn't publish headlines about random car crashes and America definitely doesn't. There are multi car crashes every hour on the busy US Interstates and they won't even get a mention on local news. It's not like RTE have nothing else to report on. There are "youth gangs" carrying out warfare on the streets of Balbriggan but they choose to ignore it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-wiltshire-53798413

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-53747781

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/02/us/car-crash-children-trnd/index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox8live.com/2020/08/10/i-west-closed-new-orleans-due-fatal-crash/%3foutputType=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

sydthebeat wrote: »
    National news doesn't cover "run of the mill" car crashes.

It sometimes covers the most horrific crashes in which multiple lives are lost.

So unless you consider THAT 'run of the mill'.... I'm not sure what your point is.

I'd say a 30 car pile up is run of the mill for coinop, if someone non white steals a chocolate bar it should be headline news until the death penalty is given.

Anything less isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Ireland will have somewhere between 100-200 road deaths in a given year. The UK will have somewhere between 1500 and 2000. In a way it would be a greater tragedy if Ireland got to the stage where road deaths weren’t reported on the news.

But going off your OP it seems you’ve a different agenda entirely for this thread so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Maybe the national media report car crashes because they ACTUALLY occur rather than being the gossiped feverish imaginings of racially obsessed wingnuts?

minikin wrote: »
    Maybe the national media report car crashes because they ACTUALLY occur rather than being the gossiped feverish imaginings of racially obsessed wingnuts?

You would have to wonder what type of person would make use of a multi fatal car crash to try and soapbox about their usual favorite topic alright. I certainly have an idea but as much as they sh1te on about free speech also I don't think they would like me expressing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So...... Soros is using car crashes to remove the Irish youth for the great replacement, is that what you're saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Do news stations in other countries report on teenagers having fights? It's been going on here decades so I don't know why they would start reporting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I was on a train that crashed in New Zealand in 1998, nobody was killed ,few people including the train driver taken to hospital, news crew were on site and spoke to me and my mates

Something that obviously makes the news in small countries

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

In fairness, nearly all of them barely get a mention. I remember a few weeks ago 2 men were killed in a car, one was a teenager. There were zero comments on the Journal. We just kind of accept people dying on the roads that way. It's funny because if a cyclist is killed on the roads everyone goes nuts with comments saying it was probably their own fault.
    So basically we are mostly ok with people dying in horrific car crashes, it seems. The one in the news yesterday obviously gets a lot of coverage because there were kids involved and the tragic story of the woman surviving it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The main BBC channels would cover a motorway pile up

Thankfully they are very rare here

Advertisement